Author Topic: tight neck  (Read 628 times)

Offline diesel instructor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
tight neck
« on: February 16, 2014, 03:26:54 PM »
guess could use some quality control, just received a 22 Hornet barrel. long story short, when closed on factory cartridge, will not extract it. slamming rifle over my knee twice, finally got it out. tried another brand, same thing. full length resized case chambers and extracts, no problem, seat a .224 bullet and it will not extract. H&R tried to get too many miles from that reamer. got to have an under size neck. will call to find out what the solution is.

Offline theratdog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: tight neck
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 06:10:49 PM »
is it pulling the bullet out of case if not try polishing the chamber. ;)

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 09:25:15 PM »
if its a new barrel, call Remington and get a return shipping label and sender back !!
your problem might not just only be the chamber neck.... :o

I wouldn't put a hand on it, cept for box'n back up.
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline HWB13

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 09:37:27 PM »
If it's new I totally agree with the Doc, send it back.  My wife is a director of QC in her company.  The more returns do have a direct results on quality out put.
Kevin   
Handi's:17 Mach2, 17 HMR,17 WSM, 22LR, 22 Win Mag, 204 Ruger, 22 Hornet UV, 22-250 UV, 25-06, 30-30, 35 Whelen, 30-06, 20gaX2, 20GA ultra Slug, 12ga ultra slug, 12 ga Turkey, H&W 45-70 BC X2, 45 LC CC, 44 Mag, 500 S&W and 140+ non-H&R types

If you have to shoot more than once you should not have shot the first time.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 12:13:01 AM »
It really needs to be able to work with factory loads, and they need to fix it on their nickel, including shipping. Did you buy it at a dealer? If so, go back and show 'em; if nothing else they can do the shipping for you.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline tsalam

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 01:58:42 PM »
A little while back I bought a 223 from a local pawn shop. I took it to the range and had the exact same problem you are having. Every time I fired it with factory ammo it would jam shut. I finally got it opened with a crack on my knee. Took it apart and found someone had put the 223 barrel on a shotgun receiver. I doubt it was done by the factory so someone probably found a barrel on ebay or somewhere and thought it would work on the shotgun receiver. The larger firing pin of the shotgun was digging into the primer and getting hung. That's why I couldn't get it opened. I took the gun apart and took it back to the shop and told them the problem and told them they would have to sell the barrel and receiver separately because of the safety issue and their liability exposure. They gave me my money back and later I checked and they were selling the pieces separately.

Offline diesel instructor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 02:52:19 PM »
newly fit factory barrel, never out of the house. called CS, they e-mailed me a shipping label, printed it, back to factory today. now we wait.  will keep you posted with results.

Offline tsalam

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 04:58:10 AM »
That's good. Hopefully they will get it straightened out and back to you quickly.