Author Topic: how many bed their forearms vs float them?  (Read 698 times)

Offline Whiterabbitttttt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
how many bed their forearms vs float them?
« on: February 20, 2014, 06:36:44 AM »
hi guys,

right now I float my forearms on a Viton O-ring around the threaded plug.

I am considering instead doing a 100% barrel bed from the spacer all the way around the barrel, right to the tip of the end of the forearm, then using a torque spec on the screw during assembly after cure (30-35 in-lb?)

I've read the FAQ, a suggestion there is that "some" have put a smidge of bedding at the lug itself and supported an area the size of a golfball around the forearm screw.

Anyone bed the whole shebang? How many here in general bed instead of float? How are your results downrange vs float?

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Re: how many bed their forearms vs float them?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 12:15:47 PM »
I prefer glass and pillar bedding forends but have been floating with o-rings lately. The o-rings are a lot cheaper and I can do that myself.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 12:37:01 PM »
I don't use O-rings much, I use metal instead since it doesn't change with temp or humidity, either a washer or shim stock to float depending on whether it's a wood or syn stock.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Larry in SD

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 12:54:33 PM »
My local gunsmith has my .25-06 right now. I replaced the Laminated Wood with Synthetic. Roger is bedding the rear of the forend (from the attachment point to the receiver) to the barrel. he has made a pillar that he already glassed into the forend to sit on the barrel stud. He made a second pillar that is an offset eccentric of sorts to allow changing the pressure the forend is seated against the front radius of the receiver that will sit over the barrel stud and go into the forend and seat against the pillar he glassed in. From the attachment point of the forend to barrel forward to the forend tip will be free floated.

With a little luck he will be finished next week, and my scope arrives next week so I can shoot it.

Roger has done a lot of bedding work with Encore Forends over the years trying several different methods. When I showed him the Handi Rifle he started thinking and came up with the above method to try.

Larry

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 01:05:49 PM »
I just float mine.  Try to keep torque consistent and it works well.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline cbshtr

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 07:51:07 PM »
Quickdtoo, do you have the specs and pics for your metal shims? I saw you mention them before but never knew how you made them. Thanks.

Offline speedrackin99

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 08:58:33 PM »
I have used the o ring method and sanded the barrel channel of the forend   linseed oiled and seal with exterior thane ........i may try a rubber washer to sit in the pocket ...o-rings seem to work well as a vibration dampener . anyone ever try the sims donut on  the exterior of the barrel ? 

Offline 8uck5nort

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • A Real Regular
  • Trying to improve myself one shot at a time.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 10:24:40 PM »
Both.
I pillar and glass bed up to the barrel underlug once I figure how to make a rifle shoot well using the washer method and then decide what stock set I want for a certain. The remaining channel forward of the barrel lug is free floated for no contact. Same principle I use on my bolt action rifles. I also bed the end of of the forearm stock to the plastic spacer. I want absolutley as little movement as possible from anything. I use blue loctite on the forearm screw so it will not loosen unless I want it to. I also go as far as bedding the reciever to the buttstock, and bed the scope rail to the barrel. No unwanted movement or misalignment during normal or even unusual use or after detail cleaning.
However, I am currently doing a full length stock project, so I am not sure if I am going to free float or do a full length bed. Utnil reading this post I have not thought upon it. Hmmmmm. :-\
I thinnk the torque driver is a good idea and I should start setting specs and recording that data too. Can't hurt at any rate.
Cartridges for My Entertainment: .22 S,L,LR, .223 Rem, 7x57, 30-06, 8x57, 357 mag/max, 35 Remington/Indiana, 35 Whelen, 44 mag, 445 SM mag. Adding the 6.5x55 swede!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 12:41:28 AM »
Quickdtoo, do you have the specs and pics for your metal shims? I saw you mention them before but never knew how you made them. Thanks.

The washers are metric with 10mm hole from Ace or True Value, same one that works under the stock bolt, shim stock comes in sheets, drill & cut em to fit.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ol BW

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 12:52:14 AM »
Neither.  I have never had to do anything to any of my Handis to make them shoot.

BW