Author Topic: I got my new 45/70!!!!!!  (Read 842 times)

Offline bull b 25-06

• Trade Count: (0)
I got my new 45/70!!!!!!
« on: February 22, 2004, 10:59:35 AM »
After reading to all the excellemt posts on the 45/70 i couldn't take it any more. I went evrywhere trying to get a 45/70 in synthetic,but everybody's suppliers were out of stock and didn't know when more would come in. The last place me and my wife stopped yesterday had one in the standard wood. I seen it sitting there on the rack along with the other fine NEF's including 2 ultra's  :shock: (25-06,243). I was handed the 45/70,and while looking at it my wife said that'a not the one you want is it? I told her no,but i could order the rear synthetic stock and also order the store-arm for it. She told me to get it and customize it myself,and that is why i love her.I got the sucker home and the first thing i did was used J-B BORE BRIGHT to break in the barrel. Then i stripped the store-arm off of my .223 SURVIVOR S/S,and it fit perfectly on the 45/70 :grin: . This store-arm makes these rifle's look bad as hell. :twisted:  I am ordering another one from http://www.choate machine& tooling.com for $15+s/h. While i'm waiting for the new stock pieces to arrive i went ahead and painted the wood stock ultra-matte-black. As soon as the paint dries i will be shooting it for the first time. Anybody know of any special paint that can be put on the front blade sight? I plan on doing some ferral pig plinking with it soon.Also plan on buying all the necessary stuff to reload with. Also found out the store-arm will hold 11 rounds of 45/70 ammo. Also going to add 1 1/2 lbs. of lead shot to the rear stock. Well that is it for now got to go check on the stock i'm painting.

later bull b 25-06       :D
If at first you don't succeed then change the rules

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
I got my new 45/70!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 11:25:47 AM »
bull b 45/70,
  If your looking to add some color and visibility to the front sight blade, try some nail polish. It will last for years on there, and is easily replaced.
Don

Offline rmtaylor

• Avid Poster
I got my new 45/70!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 01:52:53 PM »
Go to the GB Home page and look at the Advertiser links. There is one called 20/20 concepts that sells glo in the dark sight paint. Looks pretty good from the info on line.

Richard
NRA Member
Living in Michigan but  "MY Home's in ALABAMA"

Offline bull b 25-06

I got my new 45/70!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 06:46:34 PM »
Thank you gentlemen you have got me on my way!! Good shootin to everybody.

bull b 25-06(or maybe i should change it to big-bore 45/70 hmmm???) :grin:

:D
If at first you don't succeed then change the rules

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
I got my new 45/70!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 12:39:04 PM »
Quote from: bull b 25-06

bull b 25-06(or maybe i should change it to big-bore 45/70 hmmm???) :grin:

:D

It has a nice ring to it! Or is that my ears from shooting?
Don

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
I got my new 45/70!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 12:46:31 PM »
Big Blue, here's a trick to that nail polish tip you posted. I have been using nail polish and now fishing lure enamel on my front sight blades for years (fishing lure enamel comes in flouresent orange, and chartruese, hard to find colors in nail polish and I have it from fly tying). Before  painting the color you want on your sight blade (lime, chartruese, orange, yellow) paint on a layer of bright white and let it dry. The blade will show up MUCH better as will the true color with the white as a base coat and not the blued steel of the sight. Try it, you'll like it!!!....<><.... :D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
I got my new 45/70!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 12:57:50 PM »
MSP Ret,
  Thanks for the tip. I had used the nail polish on the sight of a Ruger single-six I had, and it lasted for years. The white polish underneath would brighten it up, and I never thought of lure paint.
Don

Offline Leftoverdj

I got my new 45/70!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 05:10:37 PM »
If you have or have access to a drill press, a hole just under blade diameter, perhaps 1/16" deep will hold your paint or whatever. You can get a much thicker coat and it can't be scraped off since it is recessed. In bright light you still have the black blade outline to sight by.

Best stuff I ever used was opalescent nail polish. If there was ANY light, it would show up.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.