Author Topic: LAFD: Not Enough Diversity  (Read 272 times)

Offline Hairy Chest

• Trade Count: (0)
LAFD: Not Enough Diversity
« on: February 27, 2014, 02:48:17 AM »
Who thinks your race doesn't matter?  Race matters when it comes to hiring.  Here's one example coming from Los Angeles.  Looks like many qualified applicants will have to look for another job.  >:( >:( >:(   

The makeup of the class, which is 60% white, has intensified calls by city leaders for reforms in a city that has a majority of Latino, African American and Asian American residents.

Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: LAFD: Not Enough Diversity
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 06:20:22 AM »
There was an instance back in the 80's, in Toledo. The fire dept. was promoting minority's to officer positions, and the dept. just about went on strike. Seems even black firemen were against the promotions. The city officials were trying to put people in place's, that had little or no experience. The firemen with knowledge, knew, color had no bearing on experience. And that is what most important in those type of situations. Just like a battlefield. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 08:18:20 AM »
they all need to get off of that bs
and hire those who are the most
qualified. period . full stop.

now if that means there is a majority
of black-black skinned folks responding,
or if they're all albino blonde haired
males i'm all for it as long as they're
the most qualified.
when i call 911 i want to see somebody
that knows their stuff and won't get theirselves
or some poor bystander killed somehow.

i've been the victim of "preference points" myself.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Hairy Chest

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 08:47:08 AM »
LA's new mayor especially wants there to be more diversity.  I know why he does.  But like you said, Ranger, even blacks didn't like the promotions either.  Most people all believe in fairness.  Some, though, are ideologically committed to wiping out one group.  Whites who work in emergency should keep in mind who is trying to get them out, when it comes time to give them aid.  They can move a little slower or not respond for certain individuals.   
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.