Author Topic: Trigger Job Video  (Read 1765 times)

Offline tmccray45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
Trigger Job Video
« on: February 25, 2014, 01:53:09 AM »

I have long wanted to tear into my various Handi rifles in order to do a trigger job on them, but after reading the write-up's that are in the FAQs, I could not get a grasp of what was required.  Don't get me wrong, the write-ups were done with good instructions and lots of pictures, but I just couldn't understand how things fit together.

Therefore, about three-four months ago, I requested that someone take the time and trouble to post a video on YouTube that would explain the process.

Someone has. 

"Jason Ray", an auto mechanic by trade, has a video that runs for an hour and 15 minutes that, for me, did EXACTLY what I wanted to see.  He takes the receiver apart, shows what surfaces he alters, and shows how to re-assemble the receiver.  After looking at this video and THEN turning to the FAQ write-ups, suddenly everything was crystal clear.

If you're like me and you're feeling apprehensive about potentially "destroying" your gun, take an hour and look at this video.  On the way into work this morning, I stopped by a local hardware store for some wet/dry sandpaper and some punches.  (I've got punches at home, but they aren't small enough.)  I cannot wait to get home and start my first trigger job.

"Jason Ray" is real folksy, but he takes his time and explains everything very well.  He even introduces us to his sleeping Chocolate Labs - a nice touch.  I think I'd like to have a cup of coffee with Jason Ray.

H&R/NEF Handi-Rifle Trigger Job, Start to Finish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T_8kge23wQ

"Work: The New Retirement"

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Trigger Job Video
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 02:09:17 AM »

I only have time to watch a few minutes of the video right now, but right off the bat he says his 204 has a 14 ounce trigger.  I'll let the experts chime in but from what I've read here that's WAY TOO low.  It won't be long before he's going to have to replace parts at best.

Offline tmccray45

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 02:19:33 AM »
I agree with you, YRUpunting, and I too noticed that statement right away. 

14 ounces is extreme, and from what I've read here on Graybeard, not to be done.  I think what I'm going to do is combine his video with the printed instructions in the FAQs and lean more on the printed instructions.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 02:35:28 AM »
I didn't watch all of it, but he did modify the trigger extension by making a new one that works with the lighter trigger pull that keeps the t-bar up to prevent FTFs. Would be nice if he used part names that  correlate with Perklo's instuctions, but at least the video shows what he's talking about, dunno what he's calling a tumbler yet tho!  ;D

Thanks, I'll add it to the FAQs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline sethk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 05:05:27 AM »
I didn't watch all of it, but he did modify the trigger extension by making a new one that works with the lighter trigger pull that keeps the t-bar up to prevent FTFs. Would be nice if he used part names that  correlate with Perklo's instuctions, but at least the video shows what he's talking about, dunno what he's calling a tumbler yet tho!  ;D

Thanks, I'll add it to the FAQs.

Tim

I only watched the very first of the video but I believe he is referring to the transfer bar as the "tumbler" ("a movable obstruction in a lock t[/size]hat must be adjusted to a particular position before the bolt can be thrown").
What I have: 30-06 Handi (2003), 12ga mod. bbl
What I want: .22lr offset (versa-pack) bbl, 357 Max bbl

"Enter into that darkness where neither the Law nor human reason gives its light, but only the dark word of faith."   - C.F.W. Walther

Read Jorge Luis Borges.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 07:30:58 AM »
What I really wanted to watch the most was removing the pins.  I find it interesting that he uses flat end punches that will flatten the ends of the rounded pins.  I'm still looking for an appropriate set of punches.

Also it would be nice if he had turned off his (censored word) TV.  It was really annoying in the background...

Tony

Offline PineyCreek22

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 12:11:06 PM »
When I needed punches to drive out pins I got some brass rod of the desired diameter, center punched the end of the rod and drilled a concave V at the end of the punch.  This does 2 things.  The brass doesn't mar the end of the pin and the concave end keeps the punch from slipping off.  PC
custom .357 mag monoblock, custom 30-30 Handi

Offline YRUpunting?

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 12:25:13 PM »

Good video to help me understand what's involved.  His opinion is Perklo has one step that isn't necessary, starts at 19 minutes and runs for a few minutes.  Curious to what the experts think.

Offline Jim Stacy

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 12:36:35 PM »
I would be very interested to see how long his trigger jobs last before the become a "push off" trigger job?
I have not done a trigger job on a Handi but if the factory , now a Remington plant, will not take them below 5#
I wonder how hard the metal is. I would like to hear from some one who has actually stoned the hammer and sear on a Handi. How hard is the metal. Did he have an over travel in the trigger ? I did not see one .
I have done at least a hundred trigger jobs on other guns but never a handi ?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 12:58:37 PM »
I've done about half that many trigger jobs just on Handis, I've only done one to about 2½lbs, the rest to about 3lbs or a little more, exactly the same as Perklo's recommendation and what H&R factory gunsmiths will do(see Ilion's trigger policy in the FAQs) it didn't last all that long that light, a subsequent check showed it at  21oz, I replaced parts and started over. Trigger parts are sintered metal and only surface hardened, remove too much surface material and you'll be in trouble.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 07:37:11 PM »
My suggestion is pay attention to Quickdtoo and follow the instructions in the faq's .Use the video for a visual learning experience but heed the trigger pull weight.
George
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline tmccray45

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 10:58:25 PM »

Went home last night with punches and wet/dry sandpaper in hand.  I had the Perklo instructions in one hand and my Kindle in the other.  Fired up the Kindle so I could watch the video, and commenced work.

In no time, I had receiver parts all neatly spread out on the work bench.  I made my slave pin out of a 30 penny nail and polished everything according to the Perklo PDF.  Because it was my first time, I was moving slowly, starting the video, stopping the video, making slave pins, etc.  After taking it apart and polishing the surfaces, it was late, so I had to stop and hit the sack.

Got up this morning and had about an hour before work.  That's all it took to lube everything up, "jiggle" things into place, and drive pins home.

DONE!  And, the most important part??  It works!!   (He sits here with a smile on his face.)  Transfer bar works, it doesn't go off when doing the drop-test, and it breaks with less effort.

Let's see, which Handi is next???

(Now, if it would quit snowing for just a little bit, I might be able to get out to the range . . .)

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 10:46:45 PM »
Bump......

Sorry my home internet is slooooooooooow.  :o
Just wanted to be able to find this easy tomorrow morning.   ::)

"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member