Author Topic: Teflon Tape and 45-70's  (Read 2492 times)

Offline JPH45

• Trade Count: (0)
Teflon Tape and 45-70's
« on: February 24, 2004, 02:10:04 PM »
Read on a thread elsewhere about using teflon tape to wrap undersize .45 caliber pistol bullets to boost their diameter (not unlike paper patching) and firing them in the 45-70. What a neat concept I thought, so I tried it. I have the Lee 452-255 RF mold ( for a 45 Colt I no longer own) I wrapped up a sample and shot them using 13.6 grains of Unique to push 'em with. They shot great. 4 shots went into 1 hole at 30 yards :eek:  :eek:  :eek: I pulled the 5th shot out (actually the third) it went about 2" high. The taped diameters were .457-.465 as I made no effort to keep the diameter uniform. Try wrapping a pistol bullet with teflon tape and you will see why. Going to try some more of this in future, thought I might pass along this experience to those here playing with the 45-70 too.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Teflon Tape and 45-70's
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 07:30:41 PM »
JPH
How about some more details?  This sounds really interesting.  What about residue in the barrel, anything?  Since I've never used Unique, what kind of velocities do you suppose you had?
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Teflon Tape and 45-70's
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 07:56:43 PM »
I've been a pipefitter for 30 years, used a lot of teflon tape.  Seems to me that if the pressure got very high it would blow the soft tape out and you would get blowby.  Plus throw uniformity right out the window.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline JPH45

Teflon Tape and 45-70's
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 01:36:08 PM »
Sourdough, having spent many years ding machinery maintenance, I thought the same thing. These loads run about 10,000 psi and make around 1250 fps ( an educated guess based on point of impact being lower than that of a 350 grain bullet at 1100) I will chronograpgh the next batch. There was also mention on that thread of using masking tape to make a paper patch on these size bullets. Ought ot work nicely, no reason I can see fo it not to.

Barrel was clean enough, sooty in color but no unburned powder floating around. Unusual with Unique. Would be interesting to try Universal or Universal Clays. Green Dot could work nicely too. I would take it that others having been down this road and continueing to travel it speaks well for the concept.

Realize that the point is not to develop the full velocity the case is capable of with this bullet weight, but rather to use an otherwise unusable bullet from ones mld selections for plinking purposes. That's all.

I will be doing some more shooting with these and will keep you guys posted, JP

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
Teflon Tape and 45-70's
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 01:57:23 PM »
I will probably have a 45-70 barrel for my Ultra in the next few months and am curious about this.  

Do you just wrap the bullet with the teflon tape before you seat it, then seat the bullet normally or what?
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
Teflon Tape and 45-70's
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 02:19:48 PM »
You guys REALLY got me thinking that I remembered something about patching cast bullets in TEFLON.......and I found it :grin:

HANDLOADER magazine, #66, July-August 1980, pg 20:

"Patching Cast Bullets in TEFLON", Curtis L. Wilson

He got some pretty high velocities in cast bullets by sizing the bullets AFTER wrapping in Teflon tape. Apparently the sizing die impresses the tape to the bullet VERY well.  Testing was done in quite a few calibers: 30-06, .308Win, .30-30, 7X57, .243 Win, and  45-70. He did not state the velocity he was getting in 45-70 in a Ruger #3, but does show three 100yd grps, most holes touching.

The artcle is not about bringing undersize cast bullets to a larger diameter, but rather about applying a new type of patching to allow increased velocity with minimal leading in cast bullets.
Even so, if you can get a copy of a back issue, you may find it interesting.
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline JPH45

Teflon Tape and 45-70's
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 02:37:44 PM »
Just opinionating here....of all the calibers I have cast for and used, the 45, be it .452 ACP's, 454 Colts, or 458's in 45-70, I have never had as easy a caliber to work with as the 45 is. It is just plain user friendly.

There are a plethora of lubes, bullet designs and such out there. For everyone, there is a fellow who will say it is better than butter on bread and one who says it is worse than sand in your eye. Don't take one opinion for anything in this game. Search around, find as many who have used the material as possible, nail down and use the best techniques as possible for what you are working with.

I too have heard great things about the use of teflon tape for a lubricant, some praise , it some hate it. What does seem to be consistant is that it does not leave leading in the bore. Hmmmmmmm.....Experiment gentleman, don't just take my word for it. Check out The Cast Bullet Association. Even if you only shoot jacketed, the loading techniques and reloading experience of these gentlemen is priceless.

Yes Wlscott, I simply wrapped the bullet (an interesting challange) and fired them. No sizing, no muss, no fuss.

I will say this, I wouldn't trade or paper patching for a proper fitting bullet that can be pan or machine lubed and fired. it does makeme wonder about adding some TFE to my pan lube. Anyone know a source?????

Offline Longcruise

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
Teflon Tape and 45-70's
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 08:05:10 AM »
JP, I have a coffee can full of a lube that I made about ten years ago.  Have forgotten some of the ingrediants, but two essential ones were automotive lube (the tube that goes in your grease gun) that had teflon added and powdered graphite.  It's very dirty to work with!!  It's mainly meant for BP lube which is how I used it in 45-70 loads.

Once a bullet is wrapped with teflon tape, you can heat it gently with a match to sorta shrink it to the bullet.  Also helps to have some tape gathered around the base and under the bullet.  these suggestions come from having used T tape to enlarge undersize ml bullets for my .50 cal.  Results were better than the undersize bullet without the tape.