Author Topic: 10mm reactions  (Read 2478 times)

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
10mm reactions
« on: August 02, 2023, 01:09:09 AM »
I am considering the purchase of either a G20 or a G40. I want a powerful semiautomatic. I have a couple of 1911s and a G36. I have a conversion kit for the 1911s that allows me to shoot 400 CorBon.
I would like to fit a 10mm into that line up.
I am looking for reactions to the 10MM from shooters who have used it. Positives and negatives.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: 10mm reactions
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 01:13:11 AM »
Pretty snappy on recoil.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 04:44:23 AM »
i have a 20 and a 29 i rarely shoot the 20 because its so flipping big. i do shoot the 29 but not as much as my other glocks. recoil doesnt bother me but paying big bucks for brass does. i can usually get 9 or 40 for free. that and it does its best with slow burning powder so your using twice as much
blue lives matter

Offline darkgael

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 10:17:07 PM »
Thank you both.

Offline Mule 11

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 02:03:48 AM »
I was also thinking about getting a 10mm but leaning more towards heavier springs in my 45’s and plus p ammo.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 05:14:24 AM »
If for some strange reason I have the
need for another autoloader, I'm going to
find whatever ammunition works best
through it, and buy a couple of cases

Besides the revolvers I utilize, trying to
load for an auto pistol has gotten stupid
expensive in this area. When I first started
many moons ago, a great savings could
be realized by loading your own ammunition.
Hasn't been that way in a while
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2023, 05:37:24 AM »
dont know about that 9s cost me 4-5 grains of powder and a primer. 40s? 7 grain of powder and a primer.  ive seen periods when they were cheaper to shoot then a 22. bullets are free with a bit of work. brass for both is free and i have pails of it. i cant even find free 38 brass anymore. everybody shoot the semis and few pick up brass. 9s are probably the cheapest guns to shoot that i own. i even have 2 ar15s in 9mm. cool thing is if you didnt know they were 9s and the fact theres less muzzle blast you probably couldnt tell the difference in a 9mm ar and a 556 and 556 ammo takes 5 times more powder and i have to buy ball bullets for the 556. ive tried cast and they will make it go bang but accuracy is dismal. only handguns ive bought ammo for in the last20-30 years are 380s. i can load them and have but i just dont shoot the enough to bother
If for some strange reason I have the
need for another autoloader, I'm going to
find whatever ammunition works best
through it, and buy a couple of cases

Besides the revolvers I utilize, trying to
load for an auto pistol has gotten stupid
expensive in this area. When I first started
many moons ago, a great savings could
be realized by loading your own ammunition.
Hasn't been that way in a while
blue lives matter

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2023, 02:29:12 AM »
The days of free once-fireds are long gone in
this region. Used to could pick up whatever
you felt like picking up, but the internet killed
good prices on a lot of stuff.
Trying to reload most common handgun and
rifle autoloading calibers is just about caught
up price wise with cheap blaster ammo.
I still load for my singles and levers and revolvers
and such. It's still economical for those.
You have to count freight charges and hazmat
and your time as well. Your time is the most
valuable thing you have since it can't be
replaced
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2023, 04:27:36 AM »
i had a connection at the local prison and even with the thousands i have loaded i still have a full 5 gallon pail of 40 and 556 brass and a pail and a half on 9s. with all the loaded ammo i have i doubt i even need them because all my stash ammo was loaded with only once fired brass. theres near full pails of twice fired too that ive already shot. if you can find 9mm ammo as cheap as i can load 9s with cast bullets that cost me 5 grains of powder and a primer even at todays 10 bucks a hundred for primers and powder at todays prices id sure like to know where. even with todays prices im looking at 15 bucks a hundred. then add to that i still have 40lbs of pr200 (aa2) that i paid with hazmat and shipping less then 8 bucks a pound for and 4 full cases of small pistol  primers i got back when they were a 120 bucks a case of 5000. the absolute only thing i could run short of is 45acp brass.

My time? thats like saying fishing and hunting arent worth doing it because for the money i have into gear will never be recouped fishing and a guy cold probably buy 30lbs of ribeye for what it costs to hunt a deer. MUCH more then that if you factor in my camp. Loading to me is a hobby. i dont factor how valuable my time is when i take out the harley so why would i when it comes to loading. Its part of my most important hobby and i get satisfaction shooting when i know i loaded the ammo but if you know where i can get factory 9s for 7 bucks a box of 50 you might sway me to switch. ive slowed down alot and only average probably 500 rounds a week these days. factory might be ok for someone that thinks theyve shot a bunch if the go through a box in two weeks but 50 rounds to me isnt even worth taking the time to drive 2 miles to my range. its about like hopping on the harley and riding it a 1/4 mile to the store and calling it a ride. heck if anything id buy ammo for my rifles because unless its a wby. or something exotic you dont save alot buying rifle ammo and loading on a single stage press is like wading in mud to me. But i even "waste my time" doing that because i havent shot a single head of game in 35 years with factory ammo.
blue lives matter

Offline darkgael

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2023, 01:10:06 AM »
loading on a single stage press is like wading in mud

Great line. LOL.