Author Topic: Planning my next range session.  (Read 700 times)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Planning my next range session.
« on: September 20, 2020, 09:37:10 AM »
Lazy old me hasn't been shooting much of late. For the first 60 years or so of my life shooting and hunting was almost what I lived to do. Then in early 2001 my long time best friend, shooting and hunting pardner Billy Doss died on me. Since then I've found it really tough to make myself get out and shoot and I have completely quit hunting.

But today I got out and shot, I shot a good many rounds thru 4 of my home/self defense/carry guns. That story is written up in another article on his same forum.

So with a range session out of the way I'm now looking to the next time I shoot. Maybe I have some momentum to get me back out again soon.

I've been meaning to take the Ruger BH .45 Colt/.45acp convertible out again and I think maybe I will do that next range session. In fact I might just make it a .45 day totally.

I picked up the Ruger BH Bisley really just cuz it was a convertible and would shoot both .45 Colt and .45acp. I loaded up 1014 rounds of 185 grain FP plated bullets and made then just enough too short to not feed in any of the 3 different brands of .45acp pistols I have. So I had to decide what to do with them.

Option 1: Just toss them and pretend it never happened. Tempting, real tempting.

Option 2: Pull the bullets and do it all over again. Not at all tempting and for sure Option 1 was more likely to happen.

Option 3: Buy a revolver to shoot them in where overall length wouldn't matter. Obviously I chose this option. Once those 1014 rounds are all fired up, that will take a very long time no more than I shoot it, I'll just revert to using the .45 Colt cylinder.

I shot the S&W M&P .45acp today and while it shot well it did seem a bit high so I really need to put this one on paper next time out and see just how high it is hitting and try a wider selection of ammo to see if any of them hit to POA.

I also shot my Walther .45acp today and what can I say, I love that pistol. If I make my next range session a .45 day it for sure will be involved.

Last up is my Springfield XDm 5.25. This is one sweet gun for sure. Just as accurate if not more so than the Walther and the trigger is pretty close. It's a big gun, really a bit too big for proper one hand shooting and control with my size large hands. It is a full on target gun and at that it excels. I should devote one full range session just to seeing which gun this one or the Walther is most accurate.

Alternatively I could make my next range session a revolver day or even a Ruger Revolver day or just a S&W revolver day or it could be a .22LR day. Decisions, decisions.

What you guys think? What should the next range session involve?

Remember it could be tomorrow if I can get motivated so get your suggestions in soon.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Planning my next range session.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 03:44:35 PM »
What should the next range session involve?

I am going to say,  a friend. Then think about guns. I am in the same boat as you, Bill. My shooting buddy didn't die, he just walked out on his son and my daughter without a backward glance. 3 years ago, not word one. A real punch in the gut.

Started with a new shooting buddy, and it made all the difference to motivate me to get out. Good luck. Take the gun that bugs you when you are trying to sleep.  8)
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff