Author Topic: Problem with Handi Rifle, FIRST TIME OUT.....!  (Read 3250 times)

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
Problem with Handi Rifle, FIRST TIME OUT.....!
« on: March 01, 2004, 12:50:05 AM »
I received my 7mm-08 Rem Handi in Dec., and FINALLY got to shoot it on Sat. After 6 rounds  I got Remington factory ammo to group near the bull, which was all I wanted at this time. THEN the fun :(  started!  My hits started to wander away from the center of the target. I kept rechecking the "bore sighting", and the hits kept moving away, until after 12 factory rounds and 18 less than maximum handloads , my hits could not be found on the target frame!  :shock:  And this after loosening the fore end screw, tightening, changing my grip.....I did not have bore cleaner solvent with me at the range, but a dry swab did not help either.....

[At least my other H&R 357mag was shooting well......!]

Anyway, when I got everything back home, I noticed the lockup on the 7mm-08 Handi was RATTLING! It had developed a gap between the bbl and the breech face! :twisted:

I have put quite a few VERY brutal loads through my Tracker II 12ga slug gun, and IT still locks up like new, like it is supposed to......

So......I'm calling NEF this AM, the Handi is already back in the box  to go back.... just one of those Monday AM/Friday PM QC problems, I guess....
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Problem with Handi Rifle, FIRST TIME OUT...
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 06:06:02 PM »
offhand
Sound to me like you're on the right track.  I've never had one get loose like that and it sounds like a factory issue for sure.

What a bummer!  Hope they return it to you quickly.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Duce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Problem with Handi Rifle, FIRST TIME OUT...
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 01:00:41 AM »
Offhand: Check your scope and mount, sometimes the rail screws are long enouhgt ot bottom in the holes rather than tighten. I have a .270 Handi that when empty/unloaded is loose when closed but not when loaded. Good luck: <>< :grin: Duce:
What ever you'll put up with, is exactly what you'll get!!!!!