Author Topic: Gas prices  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Bikenut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Gas prices
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2004, 06:35:42 AM »
Quote from: Red Neck64
Quote from: U.K.Neil
$6.35 over here, but our gallon is slightly larger than yours, about 12% larger, that's all.

:(  :( :evil:  :evil:

By the way, one packet of 20 cigarettes costs $8.93

Cigarettes should cost $8,930 a pack.But gas at $6.35 no thats war.

The following is not an attack on you personally, nor is it even a comment on your opinion of cigarettes, RedNeck... I'm using your post only as an example and an introduction to my comments to show that there is something terribly wrong in our society.

Cigarettes at $8,930 a pack? My father quit smoking when in his 50's. Since then every time the "sin" tax on cigarettes went up he was all for it. He thought the state getting money from something he quit doing and quit buying and that he didn't pay those taxes for was the best thing since sex. Then one day I told him that since he owned a 24 foot inboard/outboard mini cabin cruiser that he should have to pay a "sin" tax on it. And they should increase that tax very often and without him having a say about it. Suddenly my dad got the message.

It doesn't matter what the activity or how anyone feels about it... singling out one segment of people to pay extra is not correct. It is discrimination and elitism at it's worst. It is also greed since those who aren't paying that tax are benefiting from it.... and arrogantly happy to do so.

Now.... please read my comments carefully. I did not say smoking was a good thing... nor did I say owning a very nice boat was a bad thing. I'm saying that unduly penalizing those who smoke or own boats (or any other legal activity/possession) most definately IS a bad thing. And I'm saying that penalizing other peole for the things they should have the "freedom!" do do is an arrogant and elitist attitude that is disgustingly prevelant in society today.

How about substituting "gun ownership" for "cigarettes"? I wonder if anyone here would agree that ammo should cost $8,930 a box of 20? Or that guns should cost $893,000 per gun regardless of caliber/make/or use intended?

To my mind, the term "freedom" doesn't just mean that I[/b] am the sole recepient and the only person entitled to "freedom". It means every other person (regardless of what I think of them or of what they do) also has the same "freedoms" and the same amounts of "freedoms" that I have. And they should not have to pay extra to exercise those freedoms.
The longer I live, the older I get.
Neither has anything to do with wisdom.

Offline Squirrelsaurus Rex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Gas prices
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2004, 06:37:10 AM »
Quote from: Gunsmoke
If we are going to investigate Big Oil Companies, why not Big housing or Big Automotive?

Because the price of a house or a car doesn't keep going up by 35% and back down again every six months for no apparent reason.
Squooshy... the other white meat.