Author Topic: Red dot Holographic sight ?  (Read 710 times)

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
Red dot Holographic sight ?
« on: April 30, 2021, 06:37:25 AM »
I see these Holographic sights on EBay for any place from 20.00 up to around 40.00 and was wondering if they would be ok for a Ruger Mk3 hunter 22 I know you get what you pay for anyone use one?

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Red dot Holographic sight ?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 06:52:18 AM »
I have 2 TRS-25s, a SPARC-AR, and now a EOTEC 512. The first 3 are red dots, with the last being a true holographic sight.
One of the TRSs is on a Marlin Golden 39A, and squirrels, stray cats, and other varmints hate it. I like it. The other TRS is sitting in the safe, along with the SPARC-AR.
All three are excellent scopes with very little parallax with the SPARC-AR being the better of the 3.
The EOTEC is the fastest sight I have ever seen, shot, or owned, but was a gift from my youngest son.
They range in price of about $130.00 to about $200.00, to a little over $400.00.

This technology is getting cheaper, but I don't know if it's as cheap as your talkin about.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline O-mega

• Quite Professional
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 07:42:03 AM »
No name brands are hit and miss, mine have mostly been hit though, but i've only mounted them on low recoil rifles, ARs or .22s.  One came in with a flaw, one of the lines to make the circle was missing, after an email to the seller they sent another and told me to keep the bad one, they are that cheap.  Since it has selectible reticles, I just use one of the good ones, and it works just fine.  But also, I find I like regular scopes better, I like a 3 or so magnification on mine.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 11:25:44 PM »
i bought one of those cheap holo sights that cost like 40 bucks. did it work? YUP. But the first time i CARFULLY cleaned the glass and took it outside and shot toward the sun you couldnt even see through it from the scratches in the cheap coating. Cheapest dot sight id buy is a trs25. That said spend 30 bucks more and buy a sig romeo. They have auto on auto off so you can leave your home defense gun sitting and not using batterys and just touching the gun turns it on. Battery life is as good as an aimpoint. Ive got a few vortex sparc and strike fires are darned good optics too but you have to turn the on and its one thing more to think about when things go bump in the night and whats worse is they time out and shut down on there own. something you sure wouldnt want in a shtf gun. Vortex has a new crossfire though that like the aimpoints can be left on all the time and battery life is measured in years. That would make it a much better choice then the sparc or strike fires. I used to be a big aimpoint fan but that was because back then it was the only optic that could be left on and had battery life measured in years. Now theres good rugged optics that do that for a 1/3 of the price. My hands down favorite dot sight is the romeo 5. You can pick up a coin battery model for a bit over a 100 bucks and the AAA battery version for about 50 bucks more. Ive got 8 of them and have never had an issue with them and have never heard a bad word about them. To me if you want cheap for a 22 get a trs25. If its gun your going to use when things go bump in the middle of the night 50 dollars more for a good optic is nothing. As to speed in use. I think thats a personal thing that you will have to test yourself. For the most part for a 22 it doesnt matter. But ive got a burris on one 22 pistol and a trs25 on another and im faster with the round trs 25. I think it so many years of looking through scopes and peeps. I think i more naturaly put a circle on a target then a box.
blue lives matter

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 07:55:57 AM »
The problem with Red dot scopes any price any brand is when I look through them they always look like a  20 leg spider. none have had the sharp red dot. I have never had that problem with a regular crosshair scope or even one either a cross hair and dot.

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 09:51:43 AM »
I get an elongated dot if i crank it up bright and dont have my glasses on which is all the time. It doesnt bother me at close combat ranges and for precision work i just turn it down to the lowest setting i can see it at.
The problem with Red dot scopes any price any brand is when I look through them they always look like a  20 leg spider. none have had the sharp red dot. I have never had that problem with a regular crosshair scope or even one either a cross hair and dot.

Deaconllb
blue lives matter

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 11:17:06 AM »
I have a Vortex Venom on my Mossberg SA20 Turkey gun, works great for my old eyes.

Tim

https://vortexoptics.com/red-dots/venom-red-dots.html?vx_dot_size=453
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline northwoodneil

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 11:31:27 AM »
I have a $40 cheapy off Amazon and it works and holds zero. That said it is not even in the same ball park with my Sig Romeo 5. You can find them everyday at about $130 and on sale for $100. Folks who have an astigmatism may see stars or commas with red dot sights. 
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

― John Wayne "The Shootist"

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 11:37:38 AM »
The electronic optical sights I've
tried didn't work out for me.
I tried 2 different ones and I was
pretty enthused at first, but having
to adjust the intensity throughout
the day and changing light
conditions didn't work for me at all.
My prerequisite for any sight is
that it must be immediately
usable without having to flip any
switches or make any adjustments
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 02:32:35 PM »
You have a mild form of astigmatism.  Pretty common issue - and like yours, most cases are so mild the person doesn't even know they have it.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2021, 03:12:41 AM »

Deaconllb
Yep, one of the symptoms of astigmatism or as I have just learned, cataracts. I don't have astigmatism but did have to have cataracts removed last December. My red dot sights had developed a scattered image if I turned them up to their brighter settings. My cataracts are are gone and so are the blurred dots at any brightness. An additional benefit is that I can now see iron sights again. Dots still give me the ability to shoot more accurately than with irons as I suspect they do everyone.

Check out ADE red dots they are in the 50-100 dollar range and I chose one as my first pistol red dot to see if I would like that setup. I put it on a Ruger Mk pistol and later put the same model on another Mk pistiol. Both are still working just like they should. I use Burris Fast Fire LIIIs on a couple of center fire pistols along with a Sig Romeo but you are looking at  a couple of hundred dollars or more for these. I really like the shake awake and go to sleep Sig even if changing it's brightness level is a major pain in my case. The feature doesn't cost me a battery when I forget to turn one off which has happend more than once since I stared using red dots.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 06:26:47 AM »
i payed a 110 bucks shipped for my last two romeo 5s off of ebay. Kind of odd that some wouldnt touch a sub 100 dollar scope for there deer rifle but balk at a 150 bucks for a sight for an ar that might have to protect there family. Ya you can say its only a 22 but what gun gets the most abuse of all your guns. Mine are 22s. There road hard and put away wet. there carried in the woods and dropped and tossed into a truck at the end of the day. I always liked the train of thought that if your limited in your budget go cheap with the rifle rather then the optic. As long as i can pick up romeos for a bit over a 100 bucks i dont see a need to even look at the cheaper ones. By the way if you want a decent cheap scope look at the sig whiskey. Its a bit over a 100 bucks and probably the best bang for the buck in a sub 200 dollar scope. they have better low light performance then a leupold rifleman or a burris full field or a vortex crossfire. Id put them closer to a vortex diamond back or a leupold freedom. Maybe about half way between those two bunches.
blue lives matter

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2021, 03:48:48 AM »
Any gun that is abused is the owner's fault. I take just as good care of my lowely 22s as I do my centerfires. I don't baby any of them but I certainly don't abuse them. I don't drop or toss any gun and never have. I really can't understand why anyone would.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2021, 03:45:29 PM »
Most of the "abuse " I've seen is folks
that have ill fitting gun holders/racks
on their ATV'S/UTV'S and try driving
at highway speeds over marginal
dirt trails at their hunting areas.
All that could be easily resolved if
they would only use the same care
with their equipment as they used