Author Topic: Big brother will be watching.  (Read 392 times)

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
  • Trade Count: (0)
Big brother will be watching.
« on: May 04, 2021, 07:52:15 AM »
https://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/private-companies-may-spy-on/

The Biden administration is reportedly considering teaming up with private companies to monitor American citizens' private online activity and digital communications.

According to news source CNN, multiple sources have said that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is actively seeking a way to monitor citizens online without having to first secure a warrant or prove that such monitoring is an essential part of an ongoing investigation.

The sources said that a plan is being formed for the DHS to circumvent these established checks to the government's power by working directly with private firms.

Currently, only the unprotected information that Americans share on social media sites and public online platforms can be accessed by federal authorities.

However, the alleged plan being formed by the DHS would allow authorities to see what Americans are writing and sharing online in access-restricted spaces such as private Facebook groups.

The plan is reportedly not centered on the decryption of data belonging to Americans but is instead focused on getting outside entities with legal access to the information being shared online to report what is being said to the government.

Limits are also in place at the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and National Security Administration (NSA) when it comes to domestic espionage.

After WikiLeaks published data in 2017 that Julian Assange said included evidence that the CIA may have hacked smartphones to spy on US citizens, the CIA denied that such activity had taken place.

"It is . . . important to note that CIA is legally prohibited from conducting electronic surveillance targeting individuals here at home, including our fellow Americans, and CIA does not do so," said CIA spokesperson Jonathan Liu. 

"CIA's activities are subject to rigorous oversight to ensure that they comply fully with US law and the Constitution."

The alleged new DHS plan comes after the PRISM domestic surveillance program, in which the NSA, FBI, and CIA gathered and searched through Americans’ international emails, internet calls, and chats without obtaining a warrant, came under criticism from the American Civil Liberties Union.

ACLU described the program as "violating the Fourth Amendment on a massive scale" and "one of the NSA's worst spying programs."

It will include sites like this.

Offline O-mega

• Quite Professional
  • A Real Regular
Re: Big brother will be watching.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 08:23:40 AM »
If this is just breaking, it means that they have already been doing it.  I have moved from Google; Chrome browser replaced by Brave, Gmail by protonmail and tutanota, Google by DuckDuckGo.  It isn't 100% secure, nothing is, but the servers being offshore makes it just a bit harder for them to get any info.  Both the email programs are part of the "Eyes" program 5, 9, 11 eyes depends on what countries participate, but are way more secure than Google products, and a foreign court gets to decide if they need the info, Germany and Sweden is where they reside, and they are a bit more stringent with privacy matters.  You can also use Brave's Tor to hide your location from the sites you visit.  And to boot, much faster than Chrome.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 08:42:51 AM »
   Edward Snowdon warned us this was going on . 

Offline Argent 88

• GBO DJ
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 08:52:57 AM »
I believe FB has been doing it all along. And now they are into censoring.   

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 09:52:09 AM »
If this is just breaking, it means that they have already been doing it.  I have moved from Google; Chrome browser replaced by Brave, Gmail by protonmail and tutanota, Google by DuckDuckGo.  It isn't 100% secure, nothing is, but the servers being offshore makes it just a bit harder for them to get any info.  Both the email programs are part of the "Eyes" program 5, 9, 11 eyes depends on what countries participate, but are way more secure than Google products, and a foreign court gets to decide if they need the info, Germany and Sweden is where they reside, and they are a bit more stringent with privacy matters.  You can also use Brave's Tor to hide your location from the sites you visit.  And to boot, much faster than Chrome.

I've been using Brave and Duckduckgo but didn't know about those email servers. It's time to get rid of my old, creepy yahoo account. I had been using Lavabit up until the owner shut it down when the government wanted to look at everyone's accounts.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Old and grumpy

• ADD 1200 POSTS FROM OLD GBO
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 01:51:39 PM »
This is one reason the shooting forums are loosing members and the number of posts are way down.People are watching what they say more than ever.  The government has software that listens for key words on line.  Nobody on THIS forum has a  temper  :o or would say anything stupid but if you did they could find it. Now in the eyes of the left being a patriot is a crime.  The left now has power. Some of this was going on under Trump but now the  gloves are off.  Elections have consequences.------ PS  This is one reason I like this new GBO format.  If I post all my bad spelling or say something that makes me look like a idiot  (who me?)  I can remove it! 8)
Proudly Deplorable-Proudly not Deportable

Offline Goldie

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 02:20:41 PM »
Well old and grumpy I also know of old and slow but I am just old and a pain in the ass. In all seriousness I have been here a short time and made numerous friends in the process? Yeah right. I think I have poed every one here but dam it's a blast. Anyway back to the point?  Dang I think I forgot what the point was.

Offline Old and grumpy

• ADD 1200 POSTS FROM OLD GBO
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 02:26:43 PM »
Well old and grumpy I also know of old and slow but I am just old and a pain in the ass. In all seriousness I have been here a short time and made numerous friends in the process? Yeah right. I think I have poed every one here but dam it's a blast. Anyway back to the point?  Dang I think I forgot what the point was.
             That is what old farts do!  I had a point?  --   SQUIRREL!  :o
Proudly Deplorable-Proudly not Deportable

Offline Goldie

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 02:39:36 PM »
Hey easy there, that's part of another thread and the squirrel part will get you in trouble.