Author Topic: A moment in history.. Fair play and the great emancipator..  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: A moment in history.. Fair play and the great emancipator..
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2021, 10:45:05 AM »
Quote from: Doublebass73 link=topic=290567.msg1099775894#msg1
I'm as Yankee as they come, I grew up in New England and have lived my whole life here. We don't even consider people from outside of New England as Yankees.

When I was growing up in Massachusetts public schools I was taught that Lincoln was a saint and that the freedom of black people was all due to him. I accepted it at face value because hey, they're the teachers right? It wasn't until later in life I when I decided to do my own research on the civil war that I realized I had been fed a bunch of propaganda. All I had to do was read Lincoln's own words and the whole narrative I had been fed in school fell apart.

“History is always written by the winners. When two cultures clash, the loser is obliterated, and the winner writes the history books—books which glorify their own cause and disparage the conquered foe. As Napoleon once said, ‘What is history, but a fable agreed upon?’”

Many times the personal need to be right, has nuthin to do with the truth.

That's true. It wasn't the easiest pill to swallow when I realized that "my side" wasn't in the right but sometimes you have to man up and realize the truth is the truth and deal with it.

LOL, or not.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline ironglows

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: A moment in history.. Fair play and the great emancipator..
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2021, 10:53:47 AM »
Quote from: Doublebass73 link=topic=290567.msg1099775894#msg1
I'm as Yankee as they come, I grew up in New England and have lived my whole life here. We don't even consider people from outside of New England as Yankees.

When I was growing up in Massachusetts public schools I was taught that Lincoln was a saint and that the freedom of black people was all due to him. I accepted it at face value because hey, they're the teachers right? It wasn't until later in life I when I decided to do my own research on the civil war that I realized I had been fed a bunch of propaganda. All I had to do was read Lincoln's own words and the whole narrative I had been fed in school fell apart.

“History is always written by the winners. When two cultures clash, the loser is obliterated, and the winner writes the history books—books which glorify their own cause and disparage the conquered foe. As Napoleon once said, ‘What is history, but a fable agreed upon?’”

Many times the personal need to be right, has nuthin to do with the truth.

That's true. It wasn't the easiest pill to swallow when I realized that "my side" wasn't in the right but sometimes you have to man up and realize the truth is the truth and deal with it.

.... The 'possum, hanging by his tail,,says "what a topsy=turvy world this is"!

I know defeat is a bitter pill to swallow..but as I said, the outcome was pre-ordained...after a few hundred thousand deaths.

Defeat is tough..  When it was time for Cornwallis to surrender to Gen Washington, after the fall of Yorktown..Cornwallis could not bring himself to hand over his sword to Washington...so he sent a lesser general to hand over the sword.. so Gen Benjamin Lincoln (no relation) received the sword.  ..And the British troops marched out, throwing down their arms, with their band playing a tune called "The World Turned Upside down"..
"They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns, then it will be through the bullet"      (Saul Alinsky) ...hero of the left..