Author Topic: Drip coffee makers inaccuracy  (Read 576 times)

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
Drip coffee makers inaccuracy
« on: February 07, 2022, 04:25:06 AM »
Some may have already noticed, and I
surmised some time back that the
measurement markings on the commonly
available coffee makers was wrong.
Some time back I was having trouble
getting the water and coffee ratio right
on a different coffee maker, and after
some time and frustration was finally
able to eyeball it and make decent coffee
pretty consistently.
Well a few weeks ago the long time pot
quit and I happened to have my farm
coffee maker here and put it to use.
Well I had the same problem with it
and started eyeballing the ingredients
and was able to make it go.
Last night before putting everything
together for this AM I decided to
check it for accuracy on the measurements
and saw that what they show as 8 cups
worth is actually 5 , or 40 fluid ounces
whether you're using the 8 ounce or
6 ounce definition of a cup of coffee.
If I need to buy another coffeemaker any
time soon,  I'll just check it right off
the bat instead of diddling with it for
a week or so
Can't stand tinted hot water
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline mcbammer

Re: Drip coffee makers inaccuracy
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 06:46:19 AM »
 My  present this past  Christmas was one of these one cup Keurig coffee makers , I like it , no more measuring or spilled coffee grounds just pop in a pod an put a cup under the spout an your good to go .

Offline Bob Riebe

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 07:27:02 AM »
Although my coffee consumption has drastically reduced since my taste buds are crappy most of the time (I enjoy the taste of coffee, it is not a habit) but back when I would drink a whole eight to twelve cups of coffee in the morning to noon-hour, (Filling a therimal-jug when landscaping)  I would always fill the paper filter (kind I used most of the past 40 some years, never more than 3/4 of an inch from the top edge.

That way it was never too weak; if when I used to regularly drink coffee late at night, I would fill a coffee cup of 16-20 ounces with water, dump that in the coffee maker, and fill the paper filter approximately one-third/half full.
I will admit for awhile I like the flavored coffee grounds, quit them, but now, as the other half still drinks them regularly, will mix some in with regular coffee, on occasion.
I would like to get a high faluten new wonder coffee gizmo but the prices are way too high, and in the past the bucks-up ones did not last as long as the bargain ones, which now are ten years old, rather than the 4-5 most of the high buck ones lasted.

I also like , STRONG tea, and still drink Postum , as my one Grandpa, preferred that over coffee, but it is so expensive now I am glad I bought a lot back some years.

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 07:41:44 AM »
This is news to me; I used to read a magazine on coffee thirty years ago and 6 ounces was the standard they used.

Size of a cup
On paper, making coffee should be like following the easiest recipe in the world: Ground coffee plus hot water equals delicious, right? Unfortunately, that perfect cup can seem pretty elusive, even to seasoned recipe-followers.

Thankfully, coffee genius Peter Giuliano recently raised an oft-overlooked but significant theory one why it's often so darned hard to make a decent cup of coffee: As it turns out, a cup is not a cup is not a cup.

"A cup" is actually not an internationally recognized standard of measurement, so it's an inconsistent unit in coffee recipes, despite being the most common one used. (Just check out the instruction manual that came with your Mr. Coffee pot.)

Check it out: The metric system—preferred in most places worldwide—declares a cup to be 250 milliliters (about 8.45 fluid ounces), though the accepted standard cup in American measurement is a solid 8 fluid ounces. Meanwhile the "legal" American cup (used for nutritional information) actually tops off at 8.12 ounces (240 milliliters).

To further complicate things, according to the Japanese, a cup is staunchly 200 milliliters (6.76 ounces), but the instructions that came with your Chemex brewer insist it's 5 ounces (about 148 milliliters).

Confusing, right? What's a coffee lover to do?

Instead of futzing with measuring cups, use a scale: The ideal coffee-to-water ratio is 1.5 to 2 grams of whole-bean coffee per 28 grams of water (adjusting to taste, naturally). Which means you would need anywhere from 26 to 32 grams of coffee to brew 16 fluid ounces (448 grams) of joe—which, by the way, is a fairly standard "mug" size in the U.S.—not to be confused with "cup" size!

Scales are the most accurate way to brew coffee—not to mention cook and bake—and can be picked up for relatively cheap from Amazon.com or at restaurant-supply stores. (Try to find one that can read to the tenth of a gram, for real geeked-out accuracy: I love the ones I've gotten from American Weigh.)

That said, if you're totally resistant to using one first thing in the morning (pre-caffeine, no less), remember that a heaping tablespoon of coffee beans is roughly the equivalent of 5 grams. But I'll leave the rest of that math up to you.

Those canisters that sit/sat on the counter for sugar, flour, coffee etc., the old ones for coffee would hold 1poud of coffee, the new ones it seems are designed for the 12-14 ounce amount most stores sell nowadays.
The old ones with a latch and gasket would seal tight; the new ones after few month are an insult to the old ones.

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 08:27:58 AM »
I’ve always erred on the side of strong. Hate weak coffee. Can always add a bit of water.
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 02:35:39 AM »
I’ve always erred on the side of strong. Hate weak coffee. Can always add a bit of water.
^ ^ ^ this
Not much point in buying and
making coffee if you can't taste
the coffee
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 02:40:44 AM »
It usually takes 1 to 2 pots of coffee to figure out how much coffee to use. I never read the directions.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 02:54:16 AM »
I pretty much stick to the old 1/4 cup of
coffee to a quart of water. Usually a little
extra coffee.
They're usually just not marked accurately as
far as the reservoir on the machine and the
carafe. I fixed that though. Measured the water
amount with a proper measuring cup and marked
it on the side with a sharpie until I can fill it
accurately without thinking about it
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 02:58:20 AM »
I go by how much water the pot holds.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2022, 03:14:14 AM »
Never did check that
I used a measured quart of water
since that's what I usually consume
each AM
I can pretty much hit the mark measuring
out the stuff blindfolded if I know for
sure the correct spot. I can dip out enough
coffee grounds pretty much without ever
looking. I'd used the old coffee maker enough
that I could fill the carafe with water by feel
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2022, 07:11:21 AM »
I pretty much stick to the old 1/4 cup of
coffee to a quart of water. Usually a little
extra coffee.
They're usually just not marked accurately as
far as the reservoir on the machine and the
carafe. I fixed that though. Measured the water
amount with a proper measuring cup and marked
it on the side with a sharpie until I can fill it
accurately without thinking about it
Hmmm, standard measure for strong coffee is 2 table spoons in 6 ounces of water; you are putting 4 table spoons in 32 ounces of water. :o

Offline Mule 11

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2022, 07:48:34 AM »
Out of curiosity I had to check. 4 cups water and 1 over top cup of espresso and I have to run it through the strainer and stir with a spoon a second time. That’s what I drink. Actually used to drink it even stronger...

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2022, 08:29:38 AM »
Out of curiosity I had to check. 4 cups water and 1 over top cup of espresso and I have to run it through the strainer and stir with a spoon a second time. That’s what I drink. Actually used to drink it even stronger...
Good stuff. 8)

Offline wtxbadger

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2022, 10:46:26 AM »
Still prefer my stove top percolator. No worries over measurements of water or coffee. Spoon in enough in the basket for a strong pot or a middlin strength brew, fill it with water to top mark, bring to a boil, dial the burner down for it to perc for bit and then turn the burner down to low for the fines to settle to the bottom.
wtxbadger

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2022, 11:34:17 AM »
I was cleaning, actually just searching the basement for oil , and filters , I bought three years ago.
The other half wraps stuff in white plastic bags; I was totally surprised when I ripped two open I found brand new, unused red coffee  maker and a red toaster.
No need to get them dirty as the low priced coffee maker we have, keeps on truckin , but , the new not cheap toaster I bought her for Christmas, leaves a lot be desired , even then , we'll use it till it goes pfft.
I actually have zero idea where they came from  but they feel and look cheap.
I am tempted to fire both up and see how well they work, particularly the coffee maker, but then they will be dirty.

I think it is time to actually clean out the basement (I found one five litre jug of the oil I bought but did not find the oil filters or ten one litre bottles I packed away in a place where I would not forget where they were.) :o :o