Author Topic: Lyman 330g .457 hollow point  (Read 2041 times)

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
Lyman 330g .457 hollow point
« on: April 17, 2013, 09:51:04 PM »
I'm looking for opinions on this mould from those that use it.  Is it hard to use and how well do the bullets perform? 

I've cast .358 Hollow points that weren't to bad to make but I don't know how much trouble this much bigger mould would be to use. 

Tony

Offline cjensen

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Lyman 330g .457 hollow point
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 10:50:31 AM »
I have one. I casted some bullets with it. No trouble at all casting, just slower due to the hp plug and 1 cavity. Never shot the bullets, figured it should be a gas check bullet at that weight. Wish it were a gas check, I would like to try that in my 458 SOCOM.
My goal in life is to have a carbon footprint the size of Al Gore's. I can be living the good life and know I am not causing global warming. Make Al your carbon standard.

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 11:11:12 AM »
I'm specifically avoiding gas check bullets these days.  I've gotten to where fiddling with as checks is too much bother and I'd just as soon shoot them slower...  Also checks can be expensive and sometimes hard to find and this is taking some of the cheap and fun out of bullet casting.

Anyway I'm hoping to hear about how well they shoot before Mid South has them back in stock...

Tony

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 02:11:33 PM »
I use these, have had good luck with them. No problems casting, they are slow. I have 1 hole groups with mine @ 50 yards, I use 34 gr of IMR 4198. Have taken several deer with them in a Ruger #1.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 02:53:09 PM »
I've heard cast hollow points can fracture on impact.  Were you able to recover any of these from the deer you shot?

Tony

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 03:00:35 PM »
The nose pin has to be hot or you'll get wrinkles around the nose.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 01:10:59 PM »
Both Midway and Mid South show it as being out of stock until toward the end of May so I bought a 292g .457 mold to play with while I wait for the 330 HP to come back into stock...

Tony

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 09:21:46 PM »
i cast some with 20/1 lead  tin shot them at 1100fps  are so. they are deadly on deer. just get everything good and hot. and you,ll be good

Offline twoshooter

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 03:41:40 PM »
I usually cast either WW or just a little harder and drop them in water. Never had any wrinkle problems. None were ever recovered FROM the deer, but many were from the ground beyond or below. Most were nearly perfect, rifling marks clean and everything. Some that hit a large bone had a slight mushroom to it, none ever broke or fractured. For Elk I might pour in some more powder, but for deer they zip right through. It is like you took a piece of copper pipe like a cookie cutter and just put a hole through them. None went far, most just went down, I prefer a spine shot usually as I am getting too old to drag them very far. :(
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 07:31:20 PM »
I'm wondering if it's worth the extra effort to cast a hollow point if it doesn't expand.  There's other .457 FN bullets in that weight range that would be easier to cast.

Tony

Offline twoshooter

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 04:14:17 PM »
That I cannot say. I bought the mold nearly 40 years ago to shoot from a Ruger in case bullets got hard to find. Imagine that ! At that time you had to sign and show ID to get 22 LR ammo, what a Charlie Foxtrot. Took 30 years to get John Q Public to pull their heads out. Now they are putting them back. Anyway, I found the load I mentioned made 1 hole groups with that rifle, not much recoil or noise. I shot a little buck at 180 yards, he just jumped like a fly bit him and looked around, went back to eating. I thought I had missed him, put in another shell and looked through the scope- he just trembled all over and dropped . When I field dressed him (I always eat the heart that day) I held up his heart and you could see through the hole. Several more deer and smaller game followed, I just never felt compelled to go farther. I would say that hard cast and with good lube you could get close to 2000 fps if you want to, I imagine it would expand more then. If you decide not to go with the HP I recommend you look at the Lyman 385 gr FB, It used to be the gold standard to hunt with and is also extremely accurate. You get double cavity mold there.

Offline Tractorsaw1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 04:00:09 AM »
Geezer, while I realize I am waay late on this one, curious if you had gotten anywhere?  Twoshooter had sent me some to "test drive".  I got some loaded up, shot 3 to get the scope zeroed, but haven't got to the heavy duty testing yet.  Tim had posted a link to western bullet company & I think later down the road I may buy these from them, as right now I don't have time to cast them & there price was pretty good.
We can skin a buck we can run a trot line & a country boy can survive

Offline geezerbiker

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 08:38:16 AM »
I haven't gotten back to them.  I'm still waiting for the mold to come back in stock.  It still will likely be fall before I get to casting again.  Work is picking up and I don't have time and energy for bullet casting right now.

Tony

Offline siamese4570

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 10:24:48 AM »
geezerbiker: I cast and shoot these out of my handi-rifle.  Using a 4x scope, i can just about get all the holes to touch.  I read a article on cast in the 45-70 and the author stated that most rifles that he had tried shot this bullet well.  I shoot mine slow, about 1400fps.  I cast out of pure stick-on wheel weights which is pretty soft.  Works fine.  Tested for expansion in water filled milk jugs and found the back half of the bullet in the 3rd or 4th jug.  the bullet had expanded back to the bottom of the hollow point.  I wish I could tell you how it performs on deer but haven't got any to cooperate so far.  seems to be a good bullet.
siamese4570

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 01:23:51 PM »
Old thread I know...

One of my favorites as a hunting bullet. The Gould Express I even size down and shoot in my Bolt 450 Bushmaster.

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.