Author Topic: Using scopes with high magnification  (Read 706 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Using scopes with high magnification
« on: March 15, 2004, 08:47:12 AM »
Is it normal for a high magnification scope (12x and higher) to show significant parallax when you move your head from right to left (without moving the rifle)?  

If I'm interpreting the behavior of my scope properly, it seems that parallax isn't too bad until I get near the edge of the exit pupil diameter.  

I'm doing this with a cheap 6-24x scope (Tasco).

With my Leupold 3-9x I can move my head anywhere and still not see the crosshairs move from the target.
Safety first

Offline Bushnell Boy

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.hotspothunting.com/common/showsite.asp?dovend=0&id=29555
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 10:52:50 AM »
you shouldn't have any problems with parellex problems if your AO is adjusted correclty
To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.
Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)

Two roads diverged in a wood, and --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 06:42:17 AM »
I agree, you shouldnt be having a parallax problem if its set at the yardage your shooting at. If you do , I would have to say its the scope.

FYI: I read the other post and disagree with the comment someone made telling you to adjust the parallax until the image is focused. If the scopes parallax adjustments are working properly this will surely give you a parallax problem. If your having a focusing problem, use the eye-piece focus.

MO

Offline lilabner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 10:33:06 AM »
Hi! just passing through and saw the reply from Mueller. I always thought the eyepiece focus is to bring the reticle in focus, and the AO is to adjust focus for the distance to the target. Am I wrong?

Offline KN

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 12:35:30 PM »
Lilabner, You are absolutely right.

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 11:49:39 PM »
In some cases on cheaper scopes I tested, I used the eye-piece focus to help compinsate for an out of focus image (but making sure the reticle also stays in focus). This was after Parallax was evident when using the AO to focus. "If" the AO is calibrated and working properly and your using the AO to focus, your leaving yourself open for a parallax problem but If after using the AO to focus and Parallax isnt evident then there's no reason you cant. I hope I explained myself better.

MO

Offline big6x6

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 03:08:07 AM »
The ocular focusing adjustment(the one close to your eye) is used to focus the reticle.  Really only needs to be changed if a different shooter is using the scope.  The adjustable objective, on the bell of the scope, is used to eliminate parallex at a specific range.  The easy way to adjust is to slightly bob your head up and down and focus the AO until the reticle no longer moves.

Simply setting the scope to the range marked on the AO is sometimes not correct.  Many times the yardage markings on the objective do not match the known yardage.
Deactivated as trouble maker. Letters to sponsors over inline forum problems.