Author Topic: Cast some H&G #50's today  (Read 778 times)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Cast some H&G #50's today
« on: September 06, 2021, 09:12:26 AM »
This is a wonderfull casting mold but pretty heavy.

https://youtu.be/tok_FwMaVYs

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: Cast some H&G #50's today
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 09:15:43 PM »
How do you get them to drop from the mold like that?

Mine are nearly always a dull silver...  ;)

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 01:25:35 AM »
HEAT!!  A hot plate is pretty much required for a mold this size.   But also quality if the H&G product.
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 03:43:38 AM »
Really nice projectiles
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 10:56:25 AM »
...and mine nearly always drop from the mold in piles, and never in neat rows, or BLUE!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 12:11:44 AM »
BLUE, is just lighting or you seeing them after Powder Coat. ;). Not to mention that mold is over a foot long!! 

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 01:39:58 AM »
Wow!  You've got that Lyman bottom pour set to a real small stream so you can put 10 cavities and their groove through it without missing a beat.  Nice!  I have a 6-cav. for 380 ACP with no groove and I should think about modifying the stream when using that mold.

Clean layout cw.  A lot of mass in that mold.  Doesn't it cool off when filming it away from the heat?  I believe I heard you mention wrinkles.  Loss of heat in the spru plate could be a part of the problem, heat sinking the alloy (cooling) inducing poor mold line fill-out.  What alloy?  What is that "hammer" you are using on the handle nut?  Nice clean spru cutoff on the bottom of the boolit.  I LIKE Wad Cutters!!!!!

My "first ever" mold is a Lee aluminum SINGLE cavity WC for feeding a Ruger SP101 and a Handi-rifle in 357 Magnum.  I should think about expanding that line.  The previous owner was probably thinking the same thing.  I don't even mind the tedium of the task as I get into a rhythm and make 500 with complete fill out in a casting session. 

A "problem" with aluminum has raised its ugly head.  "Banging" the mold hinge bolt has loosed the helical retaining pin on one side.  That'll get your attention when it is found floating in the pot and one half of the mold comes off its handle when the boolit drops out.  High temp adhesive and "peening" the pin into its hole has helped.  I cannot imagine retiring or replacing the mold as it was my "first" and everybody remembers their first...

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 04:00:07 AM »
The use of a hot plate will greatly enhance your casting experience

NRA LIFE Member