Author Topic: What this forum IS and what it IS NOT!  (Read 16565 times)

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
What this forum IS and what it IS NOT!
« on: November 07, 2006, 05:40:04 AM »
Guys I'm tired of what's been going on here. The bickering, name calling and personal attacks are GONNA STOP. To that end I'm making this thread to establish what this forum is and is not about.

This forum is about TRADITIONAL type guns as opposed to modern inlines. This forum is NOT about purist or elitest views of what TRADITIONAL is.

So I'm gonna define for the purpose of this forum what is and what isn't tradtional rat now and we're NOT gonna argue it anymore. Capish? You better.

For the purpose of this forum it is NOT traditional if:

1. it is an inline.
2. it uses non replacement smokeless powder aka the Savage. Black powder and all BP replacement propellants are traditional enough for this forum.
3. it uses shotshell or rifle/handgun primers whether in a partial case or not.
4. it uses saboted projectiles, jacketed bullets, and Powerbelt bullets.

It is tradition even if it has a synthetic or plastic stock but is otherwise tradtional.

We're talking about guns with an underhammer, flintlock or side lock action only. NO inlines of any type here UNLESS an original made in 1800s or before.

I don't care what the sighting equipment on it is. Neither should you.

Projectiles can be round balls, mini bullets of new or old design but cannot be saboted or jacketed, including Powerbelts.

Now I hope that clears the air about what this forum is intended for the discussion of. If I've left out anything that needs to be covered one way or another here let me know. I can amend it to include anything left out.

If you guys who are died in the wool buckskinners and think anything other than an original or cloned copy of an original flinter are unhappy either get over it or ask for your own forum using a poll in the Request a new Forum area. Get 12 yes votes and you can have your own private club to play in. Until then don't try to turn this into one.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Smokepole cowboy

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What this forum IS and what it IS NOT!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 03:11:13 PM »
Graybeard, I just wanted to say a thank you for making the forums available.  They are a wealth of information for any questions or problems anyone might be having.
Thank you.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 03:49:04 AM »
Graybeard, I just wanted to say a thank you for making the forums available.  They are a wealth of information for any questions or problems anyone might be having.
Thank you.

Yea I am sure at times it has to be a headache for Bill I too thank him for the nice place to hang out and get info.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Slamfire

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 01:37:11 AM »

Now I hope that clears the air about what this forum is intended for the discussion of. If I've left out anything that needs to be covered one way or another here let me know. I can amend it to include anything left out.

Mule ears or side slappers?
Bold talk from a one eyed fat man.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 03:18:54 AM »

I don't have a clue what that means.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 05:58:46 AM »

I don't have a clue what that means.

GB,

It is a side cocking lock, going to try and put a picture in for ya. And thanks for having this place.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline mspaci

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 02:50:51 AM »
I like this forum too, but just a question, I shoot a white mountain carbine, & a renegade , but cant get acceptable accuracy w/ anything but sabots. So what forun do I use? I shoot hammer guns & that is not inline? As always I appreciate Bill`s effort & enjoy the forum , just asking here.  Mike

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 05:40:43 AM »
I like this forum too, but just a question, I shoot a white mountain carbine, & a renegade , but cant get acceptable accuracy w/ anything but sabots. So what forun do I use? I shoot hammer guns & that is not inline? As always I appreciate Bill`s effort & enjoy the forum , just asking here. Mike

#4 in Graybeard's list puts you in the Modern forum. ;)

Tim

For the purpose of this forum it is NOT traditional if:

1. it is an inline.
2. it uses non replacement smokeless powder aka the Savage. Black powder and all BP replacement propellants are traditional enough for this forum.
3. it uses shotshell or rifle/handgun primers whether in a partial case or not.
4. it uses saboted projectiles, jacketed bullets and Powerbelt bullets.

It is tradition even if it has a synthetic or plastic stock but is otherwise tradtional.

We're talking about guns with an underhammer, flintlock or side lock action only. NO inlines of any type here UNLESS an original made in 1800s or before.

I don't care what the sighting equipment on it is. Neither should you.

Projectiles can be round balls, mini bullets of new or old design but cannot be saboted or jacketed including Powerbelts.

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mspaci

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 04:57:19 AM »
Tim, I wasnt asking you?

Offline mspaci

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 05:03:57 AM »
Tim, dont take it wrong, I wasnt trying to offend, its just not fair to put me w/ inlines because of the projectile. Everything else is old style, & Bills message said to ask if not sure thats all.  Thanks for all the hard work, I really do enjoy the forum.  Mike

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 05:23:50 AM »
Mike,

If you want help in shooting PRB or conicals, ask here in a new thread, but if you want to shoot sabots, ask in the Modern forum. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline manofthe45

• Trade Count: (36)
  • A Real Regular
  • Bucks Hang On The Wall. Does Fill The Freezer
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 06:40:26 AM »
Ask your questions and those of us that care will try to answer if we can.  If you get attacked by anyone report it.  Who knows maybe one of us will be able to help you find a roundball or conigal/ powder charge that will work in your TRADITIONAL guns.

Help.  Isn't that what this forum is to be about.  Why send a guy away because he hasn't been able to get traditional rounds to group.  Novel idea have him post what he is using and maybe something differant you use will be comparible.  Or people can try use GB post ( which was despretly needed to control some people's outbursts) to again try to limit the scope of this forum to their own little world.
NRA Member

Offline mspaci

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 08:15:54 AM »
Thanks guys, I would really like to get my rifles to shoot a conical or PRB, I will start a thread to ask, & understand why we are limiting the topics. Thanks again for providing such a great forum. Mike

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 11:37:37 AM »
I guess I'd have given the same response Tim did really. But honestly it doesn't "fit just right" into either forum and is likely something darn few do. So long as we don't get too carried away I suppose it's OK to ask either place but honestly I see it fitting more properly in the modern forum than here.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline mspaci

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 05:20:07 AM »
Thanks Bill, there are a few guys here trying to help me out to get my guns shooting better w/ ball or mini. As always thanks for the forum & hard work.  Mike

Offline wgr

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 02:12:11 PM »
the us navy  did have a small  order of mule ear hammer guns  way back  my guess would be a more posative fire   i have 3 of them   will try and post a pic if i can find out how
never to much gun

Offline smokepolehall

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 12:17:05 PM »
Side slapper /Mule's ear is an orignal caplock just as the Underhammer is! They were made prior to 1850!
Keep yer nose into the wind & slip from tree to tree in the shadows, you have come fer pilgrim! Miss Vixen & Miss Phoenix, I am The Vixenmaster!

Offline Skillet

• Trade Count: (1)
I have the same dilemma as some others...
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2007, 05:43:28 AM »
All I want to shoot is sidelocks in traditional trim, but one of my rifles seems to only want to group with a saboted bullet.

If I post a question on one of those high-falootin' 'modern' forums about shooting a sidelock I'll likely just get ignored... feel more comfortable with all the old sourdoughs over here.

Don't want to make anyone mad at me, I just want to talk guns...
Skillet

Offline Semisane

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 05:41:26 PM »
Mule Ear locks were in use in the middle 1800's on both civilian and military rifles.  They used caps on a nipple screwed directly into the side of the barrel.  Kiinda' like an underhammer on the side.
CLICK ON ME: .
Link to... highchairstands@cox.net

Offline Idaho Ron

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 08:33:49 AM »
in one of Sam Fadallas books he talks about a Mule ear built by a gun smith named Dale Story from Wyoming.  Does anyone know if  Dale is still making them?  Ron

Offline scott johnson

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 02:05:40 PM »
Thank You Gray beard and staff for all your hard work and quick responces to people  who forget their pass words and other things you have to deal  with behind the scenes thanks.