Author Topic: bug spray question  (Read 819 times)

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
bug spray question
« on: February 27, 2004, 10:08:33 AM »
has anyone have any experience with a bug repellent called "Repel"?
It has 0.5% of permanone  and is suppose to last as long as 2 weeks.

I have used no stinkin' bugs from scent shield and I am  not overly happy with the way it works for the $12.00 price tag

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Bug Sprays
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 05:14:14 AM »
rickyp:  Skin So Soft seems to work almost as well as anything.  That, or Cutters or Off.  I may use one or the other on myself and the same on my dogs when we go out to where the bugs are.  Works fer me.  Mikey.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
bug spray question
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 11:06:27 AM »
I know about the Skin So Soft but it does have a some what strong smell. I dont think it will do as well for early hunting but doesnt matter for fishing

Offline volshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
bug spray question
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 05:33:40 PM »
Permanone is not really a bug repellant so to speak. It is a chemicial that will not repel as much as kill ticks, chiggers and mites. Not so long ago it was banned in all but 14 or so states. The Tennessee wild life folks turned me on to it about 15 years ago. Read the directions carefully. Spray your clothes while your not wearing them and outside, let them dry. Clothes treated with this will pretty much insure you wont drag home any ticks or chiggers for up to 2 weeks! it is great stuff. WalMart sells it for about $4.95 a can and one can will do one complete outfit. Avon Skin So Soft has been proven not to deter skeeters. I tried it for 2 years because DEET makes me sweat real bad. For flying blood suckers a spray with 15% or more DEET will work. (Watch out for the ones that have as much as 50% DEET, it will melt plastic and is an insectacide, a posion one. Nothing you want to bath in regularly. Here in TN chiggers are aplenty and PERMANONE will keep them at bay. Spray your boots :D  and keep your pant legs inside your boots. For some of y'all than might get chiggers real bad I got a 100% quick fix. Buy any regular RAID bug spray, strip down and spray yourself liberally with it and wait no more than 5 minutes, hit the shower and wash it off. We have used this for years, forget the nail polish and endless scratching, this will end it in minutes!  TIP...avoid spraying Raid in crotch/crack...burns like ...well fire.
Rick

Offline Daveinthebush

I wish our bugs were as easy!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 06:24:34 PM »
I wish our bugs were as easy! On the good days I use nothing less than 25% DEET and on the bad days 100% DEET with 3" loads of #12 shot fo
the nasty ones.

Skin-so-soft is nothing more than meat tenderizer!
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline Dave in WV

bug spray question
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 01:55:34 AM »
For mosquitos take vitamin B every day. If the directions say take one a day take two. It takes about ten days to start working. If you do this they won't bite you. I learned this from a co-worker that was stationed in Alaska while serving with the  Air Force. I've tried it and it worked for me in Panama.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline cdnclub45

• http://www.cdnbearoutfitters.com
bug spray question
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 05:03:11 PM »
Repel, Repex, 6 12, Muskol, are all really tough on the finishes of your equipment.  I've always preferred spray ons like Off or Deep Woods Off.  It always worked for me but I kinda think different strokes for different folks when it comes to bug stuff.  Anyone that claims their product will last more than one day has probably tested it in January.