Author Topic: Scope on a BC ?  (Read 1153 times)

Offline like2shoot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Scope on a BC ?
« on: March 10, 2004, 04:25:38 PM »
Does anyone know if the BC is drilled for a scope mount ? I know it's drilled for a Williams FP. I am thinking ( always starts like this ) that a BC cut back to 26" with a scope would be nice. Thanks for any help. I also know that the 450 and 45-70 Acc. barrels are out there, but they are 22".  :roll:
Shoot straight , shoot often.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Scope on a BC ?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 06:30:37 PM »
like2shoot
Those are my thoughts too on barrel length.  Yes the same holes for the Williams sight are for the NEF scope mount too.  If you order a scope mount, get the Ultra one.  It comes with a set screw in the front section to close the gap between the scope mount and the barrel.

32" is too long in the brush but 26" is enough to gain some fps and energy.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Scope on a BC ?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 10:44:44 PM »
I thought about putting a scope on mine temporarily to see what kind of accuracy I could get out of it.  I'm a marginal minute-of-deer shooter with iron sights unfortunately.  I'll likely shoot it out back so nobody sees my "heresy" :devil2:.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
Scope on a BC ?
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 02:43:45 AM »
Quote from: handirifle
like2shoot 32" is too long in the brush but 26" is enough to gain some fps and energy.

handirifle someone could order a BC barrel and then have it cut and crowned.  That would make a nice barrel length.  But hey, to me any 45-70 in any barrel length is great  :-D

I thought that putting a scope on my Ultra now having the 35 Whelen barrel removed and the new 22" 45-70 barrel added on would look funky with a scope as well.  BUT the check rest is too high to allow the use of the iron sights that are currently on the barrel.  So I had to put a scope on and it doesn't look bad, I've just been an iron sight shooter for quite sometime and really didn't want to use a scope.

Well I'm went out last night and loaded up some light loads for the 405-gr cast bullets I use, using 11.0 gr of Unique.  Normally I use 5744 for my loads but ran out so I used Unique instead but I couldn't find a max load for using Unique.  11.0 gr gives 1100 fps out of a 24" barrel which is gonna give me less out of a 22" barrel  :eek:

Oh well just gonna have fun to start off with.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
Scope on a BC ?
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 05:53:16 AM »
montanan
I have thought of doing exactly that.  I know what you mean about the looks issue.  That was why I sold my BC :( , but hopefully the new owner has more consistant eyesight and can REALLY enjoy that setup.

To me the 26" barrel 45-70 would squeeze all the velocity out of the 45-70 with smokeless powder and still be usable in length for close hunting.

Iron sights are more fun to shoot but ya have ta see the dang things to really enjoy them.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Scope on a BC ?
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 09:42:08 AM »
32", 26" or 22", I'm sort of leaning towards the 22" barrel for heavy brush. I don't know that the difference in velocity between 26" and 22" will be felt by a deer, or seen to aid in longer shots, but the 22" barrel will prove to be a help in the brush. My brush gun up until now, has been a 16.25" barreled .44 mag., it never failed to drop a deer, so I can't imagine feeling undergunned with a 22" barreled 45/70. To scope or not to scope? I think my eye sight will end up deciding that one for me. For load development, the scope would prove it's worth. I have felt blasphemus every time I have considered scoping the BC, but the practicallity of being able to see so much better with the scope will end up winning my internal struggle.
Don

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
Scope on a BC ?
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 10:03:40 AM »
Big blue
You are correct in the diff in velocity not making a difference to the deer.  I forgot to mention that one of the main reasons I'd like 26" is because of the added weight and stability it offers.  Slightly reduced recoil and a steadier hand.

Like you say, it may not make a hill o beans difference in the long run.

Offline JPH45

Scope on a BC ?
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 01:14:15 PM »
I'm not sure how this would look, but a fellow could get the longest sunshade made for the scope being used in a effort to gain the length appearance of the early scopes. Also painting it with a bronze color (not brass, too bright, shiny and pimpy looking), or an aged metal color that is not black.

There is of course always the option of getting an antique type scope and using that. It would require some ingenuity making up some mounts, but could make for a spiffy looking peice.

The thing to remember about the Buffalo Classic or Target Model is that these rifles are an attempt by H&R to cash in on the current craze for all things guns, duds and antyq's. While there was a break open design available in the old west, it was not a popular item and in the annals of gun history, thse take far back seat to rifles like the Spencers and Sharps, nor was it an H&R as we know it.

I would say to take the Buff' Classic you got and fix it up to suit your tastes, wants, desires and needs. The really nice thing about the long barreled Handis is that there is no incorrect way to dress 'em up, they look and shoot good in any period attire.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Scope on a BC ?
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 03:43:18 PM »
I know what you guys are saying. It isn't like scoping a Sharps, or the original Harrington and Wesson, so I shouldn't feel bad about doing it. My eye sight has been getting worse for the last ten years, I'm off to the eye doctor again tomorrow :shock: , so the scope sure would help me out.  Besides, if your going to have one of these, you might as well make it your own. I just recently refinished the walnut stock on the BC, and the oil finish came out great. My tastes run towards a glass like finish on the walnut, so I ended up with around forty coats of tung oil on it. These guns cryout for personalizing, and I've been tooling with the idea of making a brass trigger guard, and replacing the plastic piece on the forearm with a brass copy. I just have to find a piece of brass big enough to play with.
Don

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
Scope on a BC ?
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 04:38:34 PM »
Big Blue
I think you're on the right track here.  If you're using brass, how about finding brass tubing to cover the scope?  Kinda make it look retro ya know?  Then paint the adjustment knobs or make retro handles for it.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Scope on a BC ?
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2004, 02:27:26 AM »
Handirifle,
  I'll have to do a little reseach on brass casting, maybe I could make a mold, and cast the parts I want. Then just a little touch up with the Dremel, and polishing. Brass scope tube? Mmmmmm..................
Don

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
Scope on a BC ?
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2004, 10:26:54 AM »
Yea it wouldn't have to be a 30" afair, just get a straight tube scope and make the brass/scope total about 18" long or so.  Would look kinda cool. IMHO

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Scope on a BC ?
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2004, 03:00:41 PM »
Well, I did it! It didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would, and it looks better than I thought also. The BC has a scope on it. I borrowed the scope mount off my 7mm-08. It was a bugger getting the front sight off the BC. I'll give the BC w/scope a shot this weekend, and see what it will do. I have a lot of different loads made up for it, so it will give me a good chance to try them out.
Don

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Scope on a BC ?
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2004, 03:27:35 PM »
Here's what you guys are looking for... the only hitch is the adjustable rings/mounts that come with it are for a hex barrel, you'd have to mill the mounts to fit a round barrel or mill a flat on the bottom of your barrel.

I also scoped mine tonight and loaded up some 325, 400, and 450gr boolits to shoot tomorrow for groups.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...