Author Topic: Plated bullets in the 10mm  (Read 452 times)

Offline Steve E

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Plated bullets in the 10mm
« on: February 15, 2022, 10:46:56 AM »
I just received my 16 inch DI 10mm AR upper from Macon Armory and absolutely love it. In my haste to get to shooting it I opened a box of reloads I did recently and started shooting. It shoots great and accuracy @ 50 yds is great, function is great with good mags, it doesn't like the clear ETS mags.
180 gr hp bullets are running 1100 fps out of my Ruger 1911 and 1320 fps out of the 16 inch AR and then I realized they were the plated hollow point double struck bullets.
Should be ok in the 5 inch barrel (@1100 fps) but pushing them to 1320 fps might not be too good. Doesn't seem to be leading the barrel in either one. I have probably put about 400 through the Ruger and 250 through the AR rifle at those speeds.

Steve........
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Plated bullets in the 10mm
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 12:40:11 PM »
That plating is a lot thicker than you might think and is quite tough. It is far more than the copper wash on various .22 LR rounds with a stated velocity of 1260 fps. I'd not worry about it unless it begins to show problems. I think they will be just fine up to at least 1600 fps and likely more.

Now I'd not really trust them to just expand and perform properly for hunting or self defense at such velocity but should be fine to shoot for targets.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline orerancher

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 12:58:46 PM »
Not 10mm..... But , I have been Shootin Plated Bullets in My Freedom Ordnance 9mm Rifle with no Problems.

Offline Steve E

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 02:59:29 PM »
GB
I will run some more through the rifle and keep a close eye on it for plating shedding and leading. I would think hollow point pistol bullet running about 1300 fps would do fairly good on game or are you thinking they might blow up at that speed? Most average Deer around here run 125 lb or so.

orerancher

Do you know what speed they are running?

Steve..........
GOA Life Member

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 05:26:35 PM »
You don't say what brand of plated bullets and not all are plated to same thickness. So it likely would vary with brand. HPs can be problematic if ya push them too fast, how fast is too fast you'll just have to experiment to find out.

I suspect your velocity is fine with them. If you know the brand check their website. I can't remember which, Berry I think, has two different plating thicknesses for different velocity ranges.

Try them into some kind of expansion media, wet paper, water filled bottles or whatever you have and see how they act and how deeply they penetrate. That should give some idea but only shooting them into flesh will give you a definitive answer.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2022, 02:12:27 AM »
I dont know much about plated bullets. I shoot mostly cast but the cure for my 9mm not liking the ets mags was right here https://palmettostatearmory.com/taccom-ar-9-pcc-feed-ramp-for-glock-style-9mm-lower-receivers-163.html Its easy to install and mine hasnt missed a beat since i put it in.
blue lives matter

Offline Steve E

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2022, 06:34:02 AM »
I believe the ones I have came from Extreme bullets.

That won't work with the 10/45 Angstadt lowers as they have a LRBHO and mine is a 10mm. My 10mm works fantastic with SGM and Glock factory mags so I am happy. I think the ETS mags were only about $11 each so that should have told me something, not much lost. I'll just buy better quality mags from now on.

Steve...........
GOA Life Member