Author Topic: Agreement on On Federal Gun Control  (Read 1061 times)

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
Agreement on On Federal Gun Control
« on: June 13, 2022, 10:38:24 AM »
10 Republican sellouts. (Rinos) we could have named all ten before they voted.

(The Center Square) – A bipartisan group of U.S. senators, including 10 Republicans and 10 Democrats, announced on Sunday they’d reached an agreement on new federal gun control legislation.

“The tragedies in Uvalde and elsewhere cried out for action,” Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, said. Cornyn co-led the bipartisan group with Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn.

“I worked closely with my colleagues to find an agreement to protect our communities from violence while also protecting law-abiding Texans’ right to bear arms,” Cornyn added.

The group reached a “breakthrough agreement on gun violence – the first in 30 years – that will save lives. I think you’ll be surprised at the scope of our framework," Murphy said.

Joining Cornyn were Republican Sens. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., Richard Burr, R-N.C., Bill Cassidy, R-La., Susan Collins, R-Maine, Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., Rob Portman, R-Ohio, Mitt Romney, R-Utah, Thom Tillis, R-N.C., and Pat Toomey, R-Pa.

Ten Republicans joining Democrats would prevent a filibuster from taking place in the 50-50 Senate.

“Today, we are announcing a commonsense, bipartisan proposal to protect America’s children, keep our schools safe, and reduce the threat of violence across our country,” they said in a joint statement. “Families are scared, and it is our duty to come together and get something done that will help restore their sense of safety and security in their communities.

“Our plan increases needed mental health resources, improves school safety and support for students, and helps ensure dangerous criminals and those who are adjudicated as mentally ill can’t purchase weapons. Most importantly, our plan saves lives while also protecting the constitutional rights of law-abiding Americans. We look forward to earning broad, bipartisan support and passing our commonsense proposal into law.”

The proposal would require an enhanced background check for gun buyers under age 21 and implement “a short pause to conduct the check. Young buyers can get the gun only after the enhanced check is completed,” Murphy said.

It provides clarification on who needs to register as a licensed gun dealer, to ensure “all truly commercial sellers are doing background checks,” he added.

Their proposal provides “major funding to help states pass and implement crisis intervention orders (red flag laws) that will allow law enforcement to temporarily take dangerous weapons away from people who pose a danger to others or themselves,” Murphy said.

More from this section
'Feverish': Healthy Human Brains Are Hotter Than We Thought
'Feverish': Healthy Human Brains Are Hotter Than We Thought
Teens May Have Eaten Healthier During Pandemic
Teens May Have Eaten Healthier During Pandemic
New ALS Drug Approved in Canada While Still Under FDA Review
New ALS Drug Approved in Canada While Still Under FDA Review
The joint announcement doesn’t mention “red flag laws.” Instead, it says their plan supports state crisis intervention orders. It “provides resources to states and tribes to create and administer laws that help ensure deadly weapons are kept out of the hands of individuals whom a court has determined to be a significant danger to themselves or others, consistent with state and federal due process and constitutional protections,” according to the statement.

Their plan also proposes new funding for mental health and school safety, and a national buildout of community mental health clinics. It also closes the “‘boyfriend loophole,’ so that no domestic abuser – a spouse or a serious dating partner – can buy a gun if they are convicted of abuse against their partner.”

It doesn’t appear to include a ban on semiautomatic rifles or limit the number of bullets magazines can hold, proposals Democrats, including President Joe Biden, have called for.

The leaders of the Senate expressed support for the plan.

Sen. Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said, “Congress is on the path to take meaningful action to address gun violence,” and said the Senate should move to pass the legislation.

Sen. Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, said, "I appreciate their hard work on this important issue. The principles they announced today show the value of dialogue and cooperation."

The Major Cities Chiefs Association released a statement saying it was “greatly encouraged by the bipartisan firearms policy” and the “Common sense reforms included in the framework will help save lives.” It represents 79 chiefs, commissioners and sheriffs representing the largest cities in the U.S.

The National Rifle Association posted a video of its members, including minors and minorities, expressing their support for responsible gun ownership. It also reiterated the fact that "An NRA member has never committed a mass shooting."

In response to the senators’ proposal, it said it is “committed to real solutions to help stop violence in our communities. We encourage our elected officials to provide more resources to secure our schools, fix our severely broken mental health system and support law enforcement.

The NRA said it would not take a position on the "framework" but will do so after reviewing  the full text of the bill that's filed.
Mark my word.....The NRA will go along with this.

“NRA will continue to oppose any effort to insert gun control policies, initiatives that override constitutional due process protections & efforts to deprive law-abiding citizens of their fundamental right to protect themselves/loved ones into this or any other legislation," the association said.

Originally published on thecentersquare.com, part of the TownNews Content Exchange.

Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: Agreement on On Federal Gun Control
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 11:08:27 AM »
The first step toward infringement.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline mcbammer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 03:18:28 PM »
 SCOTUS has already ruled red flag laws as unconstitutional .

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 04:25:11 PM »
The left will ignore the SCOTUS.
The election in Nov. may stop the senate from packing the court but who will enforce the SCOTUS ruling??
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 01:56:36 AM »
"Agreement" my ASS.  I don't agree AT ALL!!!

I am not certain how much more Bend Don't Break I have.

Offline nw_hunter

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 04:24:53 AM »

And yet we have 10 Republicans, that by their actions say to hell with the Constitution, and the law of the land. These red flag laws will strip you of your due process under the law, and these rotten SOB's are well aware of it. They also know it will do nothing to protect our most precious. They are ever bit as bad if not worse than any Ratocrat they pretend to oppose.
https://thehill.com/news/3520783-here-are-the-10-senate-republicans-who-are-backing-the-bipartisan-gun-bill/

Offline Dixie-Dude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2022, 05:34:34 AM »
Red flag laws are the most dangerous unless they have 2-3 witnesses outside the family, and not inside the family.  A mad girlfriend or wife can lie and cause havoc on a man.  Same with a mad man with a gun loving girl. 

The only one I agree with is raising the purchasing age for high capacity rifles to 21.  The reason is bi-polar and schizophrenia show up in the late teens and early 20's before a person can have a criminal record.  Also checking for violent nature of juviniles should be carried to adulthood at least until they are 21.  The only exception is for those who join the military or police at 18 and go through their screening and training.  Any one 18 can still buy a bolt of lever gun for hunting until they are 21.  This may help some but not always. 
Opelika Portal

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2022, 06:15:59 AM »
I disagree with any gun control
If somebody of whatever age is
a nutjob or an evil person, they need
to be confined in a secure location
for the protection of the vast majority
of the law abiding innocent citizens.

Making excuses and enabling by
friends and family is the problem.
If you wouldn't trust somebody
in the same house with you and
be able to close your eyes and
go to sleep, that person needs
confinement somewhere secure.

18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline DDZ

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2022, 10:22:05 AM »
A friend of mine was going through a divorce. His wife told the police that he threatened her, so the sheriff came and took all his guns. He got them back but it cost him money to do so. this was probably 10 years ago, so all it takes is for someone to make a false claim against you, and you can have your firearms removed. 
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2022, 11:10:47 AM »
GOA has an approach that I find refreshing. They provided two different letters depending if you are the constituent of a Democratic Senator or a Republican Senator. Since Oregon has two Democrats, I liked that approach. It reminds them that AOC and her crew are saying that making the check for 18-20 year olds more stringent is racist targeting minority youth.  That may be the only way to get a RED's attention. Hope it works.
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline nw_hunter

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2022, 03:59:32 AM »
Three cheers for the GOA for working their hardest to protect our Second Amendment. Sadly it makes no difference here in the People's Republic of Oregon. I have quit reaching out to my Reps.  My two Democrat Senators Ron Wyden and Jeff Merkley are true Leftists, and proud of it. The Representative from my district is Democrat Peter Defazio. I don't want to put a smile on faces of these evil A....holes by sending them a letter of disagreement.

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2022, 04:50:27 AM »
I realize they probably don't get read, but I can't see that it hurts to send them unless they go into a file for later retrabution. I don't doubt the president and staff don't think that way, but have not seen our senators show that proclivity up to now.

Offline nw_hunter

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2022, 07:35:24 AM »
It goes in the round file (AKA Trash Can) I'm sure. The only thing that can change things here in the People's Republic, is for it to reach bottom. Until those who put these criminals in office are hurting bad enough, will they see the errors of their ways and vote them out.
Sort of like what Cal. is seeing now. It will change, but not before it's wrecked a couple of generations. If you feel like a letter to them will help in any way, then do so. It won't hurt I suppose. I will not give them my opinion, or the time of day.

Offline DDZ

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2022, 11:24:05 AM »
I too believe it doesn't do much good to cal, write, email congressmen.  What a turncoat Pat Toomey has become. Who once had an "A" rating from the NRA.  Now he is backing more democratic gun laws that will only punish law abiding Americans. Doesn't say much for the NRA's rating system. In the past I saw the NRA hand out A's to congressmen that I thought were never worthy of such a rating. 
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline nw_hunter

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2022, 01:15:28 PM »
I too believe it doesn't do much good to cal, write, email congressmen.  What a turncoat Pat Toomey has become. Who once had an "A" rating from the NRA.  Now he is backing more democratic gun laws that will only punish law abiding Americans. Doesn't say much for the NRA's rating system. In the past I saw the NRA hand out A's to congressmen that I thought were never worthy of such a rating.

This should also be an eye opener to those that still think the NRA is a friend of the Second Amendment. Yep, they talk the talk, unlike the GOA, they don't walk the walk.

Offline nw_hunter

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2022, 11:10:06 AM »
So it passed and now they say more than 12 Reps voted for it. Surprise, surprise!

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2022, 12:29:21 PM »
Most gun crime is done by kids under 21.  Maybe raising the purchasing age of high capacity center fire semi-auto rifles would help like pistols.  Mental illness usually shows up in late teens and early 20's.  This is as far as I would go.  Harder to commit mass murder with a bolt action or lever action, especially like most that have not practiced or sighted in their guns.   

However, youth records of crimes or violent activity should be carried forward in background checks to flag them as not being able to buy a gun at least until they are 21.  Some youth have murdered, raped, assaulted someone, or used a gun to commit a crime yet none of this is currently carried forward in their records after reaching 18.  Having these records carry forward might save a lot of lives down the road. 
Opelika Portal

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2022, 12:53:07 PM »
Most gun crime is done by kids under 21.  Maybe raising the purchasing age of high capacity center fire semi-auto rifles would help like pistols.  Mental illness usually shows up in late teens and early 20's.  This is as far as I would go.  Harder to commit mass murder with a bolt action or lever action, especially like most that have not practiced or sighted in their guns.   

However, youth records of crimes or violent activity should be carried forward in background checks to flag them as not being able to buy a gun at least until they are 21.  Some youth have murdered, raped, assaulted someone, or used a gun to commit a crime yet none of this is currently carried forward in their records after reaching 18.  Having these records carry forward might save a lot of lives down the road.

Then it should be 21 to vote, get married, join the military,  buy a house,  consent to sex, etc. ect.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline phalanx

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2022, 01:03:16 PM »
I disagree with any gun control
If somebody of whatever age is
a nutjob or an evil person, they need
to be confined in a secure location
for the protection of the vast majority
of the law abiding innocent citizens.

Making excuses and enabling by
friends and family is the problem.
If you wouldn't trust somebody
in the same house with you and
be able to close your eyes and
go to sleep, that person needs
confinement somewhere secure.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline gene_225

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2022, 02:26:02 PM »
A friend of mine was going through a divorce. His wife told the police that he threatened her, so the sheriff came and took all his guns. He got them back but it cost him money to do so. this was probably 10 years ago, so all it takes is for someone to make a false claim against you, and you can have your firearms removed.
My ex-wife made the mistake of telling one of my friends wife that she was going to report me as having threatened her with one of my guns. He came by, picked up and stored them, and she never turned me in. It can and does happen that ex's lie.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2022, 12:22:07 PM »
Yeah
When a woman makes a false report
like they were threatened and were not
they need to serve time.
Just like the women that make false
rape reports because they were
embarrassed by their behavior, etc.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline mcbammer

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2022, 03:00:05 PM »

Then it should be 21 to vote, get married, join the military,  buy a house,  consent to sex, etc. ect.
I would agree to that , a 18 y.o. today , does not have the sense of responsibility as a 18 y.o. had  in the 1950s and 60's  .