Author Topic: handi .223  (Read 1054 times)

Offline josebd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
handi .223
« on: March 11, 2004, 01:20:45 PM »
how do you polish a chamber,and what is needed?

Offline like2shoot

• Avid Poster
handi .223
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 04:03:04 PM »
Are you trying to clean the chamber or polish it? I just got my 280 synthetic and am in the process of cleaning the barrel and chamber. As others have mentioned, NEF appears to use a very thick rust preventer on these areas. I have tried brake cleaner and bore cleaner without complete success. I used JB bore paste in the barrel as a last resort, and it appears to be clean. I use a brass jag several sizes larger than the bore , wrapped with a patch, on a pistol cleaning rod, to clean the chamber. The chamber is much cleaner, but not clean yet. I haven't used JBs on the chamber yet , but may have to use it yet. Sorry for the length, hope this helps.
Shoot straight , shoot often.

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
handi .223
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 12:27:15 PM »
If you are cleaning then take off all the wood and use a solvent or white gas (Coleman fuel) to cut the grease.   Make sure to get all the grease out from around the extractor too, and also from around the hammer and trigger mechanism.   You can get to those areas with the wood stock removed.

If you want to polish the chamber take a fired case and remove the spent primer.   Then coat the case with Crest toothpaste and use a screwdriver in the primer pocket to turn the case in the chamber.   It will take a while but that will polish the chamber.   If the chamber is real rough you might even need to start out with a very fine valve grinding compound first and it may take more than one shell casing.   What ever way you do it check often so you don’t make the chamber larger, all you want to do is polish it not actually grind it.
Deactivated as trouble maker