Author Topic: Who is the highest paid employee in your states government?  (Read 490 times)

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
Who is the highest paid employee in your states government?
« on: August 28, 2022, 12:30:32 PM »
If you thought the Governor, you wouldn't even be close.
The top FOUR head College football coaches together make more than the 50 state governors combined.
Michigan pays Jim Harbaugh  Head coach 9,000,000. The Governor of Michigan gets 159,000 salary.
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/22454170/highest-paid-state-employees-include-ncaa-coaches-nick-saban-john-calipari-dabo-swinney-bill-self-bob-huggins
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Who is the highest paid employee in your states government?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 03:17:56 PM »
And that's where America's minds are.

On the upside, the football coaches salaries are paid out of student tuitions, and since Biden is giving our tax dollars to the colleges to pay off loans, the coaches are assured to not have a pay cut. 8)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 05:25:03 PM »
Data is grossly old. Bentley hasn't been governor in Alabama in around 10 years or so. Saban is making more now than the amount shown for the guy at Michigan.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline magooch

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 05:39:48 PM »
Who cares how much any coach receives--as long as it isn't paid out of tuition paid for education.  Some college football and basketball is big business and generates a lot of revenue.  Obviously, it's all the breeding ground for the pros and that is very big business which contributes largely to our GNP.
Swingem

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 02:59:37 AM »
Who cares how much any coach receives--as long as it isn't paid out of tuition paid for education.  Some college football and basketball is big business and generates a lot of revenue.  Obviously, it's all the breeding ground for the pros and that is very big business which contributes largely to our GNP.

Better yet, prospective students should more judiciously choose their school, courses and what kind of "frills" they are willing to support.
  Part of the problem is the public, who seEe to back "their team" no matter whet it costs ! THEY...should keep in mind that college was designed for acquiring knowledge..not for playing sports & grab-azz..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline NWBear

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 08:11:30 AM »
"Who cares how much any coach receives--as long as it isn't paid out of tuition paid for education. "

I am sure the coaches salaries come from the funds available at the "money tree" they planted behind the gym...

Schools have one bucket of money... any money they spend on "sports" reduces the funds available for all other "education".  If people want college sports so bad why not let "Big Business" fund the sports programs.  Only out in the open not under the table like they used to do (and probably still do to some extent).

Offline Dee

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 09:00:55 AM »

Where do you think the salaries come from?

Offline TrumpWon

• A Real Regular

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2022, 09:30:32 PM »
thats a fact and when this student loan bs comes into effect they will be paid by us tax payers.

Where do you think the salaries come from?
blue lives matter

Offline ulav8r

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 05:24:50 PM »

What it does is increase my and your cost of living.  College and professional athletes do not produce a product of value.  They consume huge salaries that are paid by consumers buying products that are advertised  during televised games.  Those products are overpriced so the consumer is paying out the nose for them, to pay for the advertising.  Some of that advertising money goes to the tv and radio networks, but most goes to the teams to pay salaries to mostly inarticulate dummies.

Offline magooch

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2022, 06:23:49 PM »
If it's true that coaches are paid out of money that is supposed to pay for education, that should be a major scandal and maybe something that people should rebel about, or maybe choose not to pick those schools to attend.  To the extent that any tax money goes to pay coaches our law makers should get involved and stop it.  It should all be transparent and students should be informed before they choose their school.

On the other hand, I have seen the high salaries of certain coaches discussed and it was agreed that some college sports bring hundreds of millions of dollars in business to some states.  In any case my preference would never favor any politician, or government employee making the kind of money that certain coaches can get.
Swingem

Offline Dee

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2022, 01:12:46 AM »
High school football in Texas is a big deal to many here, while they ignore school security, they pour millions into high school sports programs.

Offline oldandslow2

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2022, 03:40:35 AM »
If sticking strictly to state employees that keep the state's nuts and bolts together I haven't really searched out the salaries of my state's employees but I am firmly convinced only, maybe, perhaps, 5% of my state's employees are actually worth what they receive. Our governor is so worthless she should pay the state to be in her position instead of drawing a salary. Roll up all, city, county, and state employees into a ball and it's so lopsided it won't roll. College coaches in this state? If any of them are paid a dollar they are overpaid.

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2022, 03:43:29 AM »
High school football in Texas is a big deal to many here, while they ignore school security, they pour millions into high school sports programs.

Many states do this. It is big business. Colleges have become woke and are getting farther away from actual education.
They have become farm teams for professional Basketball and football. Most get through highschool Because they are talented athletes, and get a scholarship to a University, and deprive someone who deserves one scholastically. They come out of college with a fifth grade education, if that, and make gazillions playing for a pro team, if good enough.

The Pro scouts could just go to the Highschools and pick from there. College should be an institution of higher learning, not a place for rich kids to spend time, and gifted athletes to waste time.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2022, 10:55:55 AM »
Disagree with much of that.

Football especially is a HUGE business for schools with enough name recognition. I don't follow even a wee little bit the other sports so will not address them here.

Football brings in tens of millions of dollars to the big name schools like Alabama. The coaching staff's salary is paid out of those tens of millions flowing in each year. The scholarships to the players is also funded from those tens of millions of dollars.

So if those yes often times seriously stupid players weren't getting those scholarships there would be no funding for other students who were not ball players.

Funds for athletic scholarships and others are from totally different pots of money and are not interchangeable.

I also agree with you that vast numbers of ball players who are good get thru high school and college both with little education just because they are good ball players. I saw it in high school but really not so much in college as I did most of my education at night when the dumbass players were asleep prolly or out having sex with someone's daughter. So I really didn't see that in college tho I know it does happen there also.

Most of the time when they let some football player talk he can barely make a sentence and when he does it's full of "you know" and "I mean" and "Like". They can't make sounds come out of ther mouths without those three phrases.

At a school like Alabama the football program alone brings in so many millions of dollars each year that it pays for all the other sports programs, coaches salaries and still nets the school many millions of dollars.

Most years Bama is on TV every game of the season plus the post season games. That TV revenue is GINORMOUS.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline phalanx

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2022, 11:10:18 AM »
The Pro Football teams have owners.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III