Author Topic: Budget gun market  (Read 903 times)

Online nw_hunter

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
Budget gun market
« on: December 24, 2022, 04:30:39 PM »
There appears to be many good budget guns hitting the market. Here is one new to me, but has been around a few years. Diamondbackfirearms The reviews on their budget 9mm and 380 pistols are pretty good .You don't have to buy a Sig, Glock or S&W to have a dependable good shooting firearm these days. The DBAM29FDE 17 round pistol is a good example. and you can buy this Made in America pistol for under 300.00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2ZnNcRlAdo
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Budget gun market
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 11:08:18 PM »
just ordered this glock 19 clone from psa. 350 bucks with 10 mags and two boxes of ammo. Its made right here in the US by palmetto. Pretty much a clone. Glock slides will work on the lower. Few small differences. Some even improvements like a steel guide rod, steel sights, tapered edges for drawing. Crowned muzzle. Might not be quite the gun a 600 dollar glock 19 is but take away the 120 bucks the mags cost and your getting it for 230 bucks. I needed another glock like a hole in the head but this one interested me. My plans are to take it out of the box and without cleaning it or oiling it start shooting  it and shoot it till it fails. Torture the poor thing. Now if it went a 1000 rounds without failure i might consider even using it as a truck gun. If it doesnt make ever a 1000 ill just give it to one of my nephews to play with and keep 8 of the mags. https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-dagger-compact-9mm-pistol-with-extreme-carry-cuts-w-10-15rd-magazines-pistol-case-flat-dark-earth.html
blue lives matter
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 02:03:39 AM »
Lloyd: When are you going to start that torture test? I am very interested in what results you get. What ammo do you plan on using?
A 1000 rounds of 9mm may cost more than the gun did.

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 04:31:18 AM »
Why sugar coat the name?  Just call them cheap guns like they are. Cars are no longer "used" but are now "pre-owned" as is most everything that isn't new. No one is fooled by the name given any of them.

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 04:50:01 AM »
The Diamondback small guns are almost identical to Glocks.  I read an article that says it is a wonder Glock didn't sue them.  Probably because Glock doesn't make a mini gun.  Diamondback can hold 6-7 rounds of 9mm or 380's.  They cannot shoot +P ammo, just standard ammo. 
Opelika Portal

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 11:49:50 PM »
it isnt here yet. Got an email yesterday that it was finally shipped. Lots of snow right now and surgery on the first of feb so it probably wont be till spring. I might load up all 10 mags that came with it and head to the gravel pit and do mag dumps on that bunch just to get started. Loads will be cast bullet loads with about 5 differnt bullets my glocks all ate just fine. 9s dont cost me much and i have TONS of them. free cast bullet, cases that i can scrounge for free so it cost me 5 grains of powder and a primer. Primers are by far the most expensive part of it. But even at 10 bucks a pack it probably cost me 12 bucks a 100. Keep in mind though that most of the ammo i have was loaded when they were 3 bucks a pack and probably cost me less then 22lr shells. I usually give any gun i might carry a 500 round test. But anyone i dont bother with glocks. Two mags of ammo out of the mags i carry to make sure the mags are good to go. I havent found a glock that wouldnt pass a 500 round test so i dont even bother anymore. But this clone will get it and probably spend its life road hard and put away wet. What i will most likely do with it is pound the crap out of it this summer and give one of my nephews the gun and two mags and keep the other 8 mags. Dont even know why id do that. I have so many glock 9mm mags right now that i could probably fill a grocery bag. Well at least half way anyway.
Lloyd: When are you going to start that torture test? I am very interested in what results you get. What ammo do you plan on using?
A 1000 rounds of 9mm may cost more than the gun did.
blue lives matter

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 11:57:13 PM »
problem with diamondbacks is they use there own proprietary magazine not a glock mag. So you cant use the mags you already have and they can be tough to find sometimes. That and youd best buy a bunch while you can because who knows how long these companys will be around. Just think of all the ar rifle manufactures that were running 10 years ago and how many are left today.
The Diamondback small guns are almost identical to Glocks.  I read an article that says it is a wonder Glock didn't sue them.  Probably because Glock doesn't make a mini gun.  Diamondback can hold 6-7 rounds of 9mm or 380's.  They cannot shoot +P ammo, just standard ammo.
blue lives matter

Online nw_hunter

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 11:55:37 AM »
Why sugar coat the name?  Just call them cheap guns like they are. Cars are no longer "used" but are now "pre-owned" as is most everything that isn't new. No one is fooled by the name given any of them.

Well, were Glocks  plastic guns called cheap when they came out in 1982? I'm sure you could have bought several for the price of a Colt 1911. They sugar coated the word plastic, by calling them polymer.
Plastics are a group of materials, either synthetic or naturally occurring, that may be shaped when soft and then hardened to retain the given shape. Plastics are polymers. A polymer is a substance made of many repeating units.
 Most Inexpensive guns today aren't cheaply made anymore. There are some that are, but they are way better than the so called Saturday night specials of yesteryear. Today, there are pistols sold for half the price of a Glock, Smith or other high end guns, that shoot just as good and dependable. I know! I have one. I also have and have had high end...expensive popular guns. Even had one of those cheap , plastic Remington nylon 66's. Wish I still had it! Back in the day, they were frowned upon.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 12:18:52 PM »
Well, I bought a plastic gun today, but it weren't cheap. Sig P365 comp.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett
Dumb Dumb x 1 View List

Offline Bob Riebe

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 01:24:39 PM »
Differences between polymer and plastic

The terms polymer and plastic are not the same. Plastic is a specific type of polymer comprised of a long chain of polymers. Polymers, on the other hand, are made up of uniform molecules that are smaller than plastic molecules.
What are polymers?

Polymers can be either natural or synthetic and are created when small molecules, also known as monomers, combine chemically to form a larger network of connected molecules. The term is derived from the Greek prefix “poly-,” which means “many,” and the suffix “-mer,” which means “parts.”

What makes these networks unique is the fact each polymer creates a network of repeating units. For example, a repeating unit in the chemical structure of natural rubber is isoprene.

The repeating units in polymers are often carbon and hydrogen and sometimes oxygen, nitrogen, sulfur, chlorine, fluorine, phosphorus and silicon.

The main reason plastic cannot be used in firearms is a true plastic will soften with heat, not a good thing in a firearm shot repeatedly. ;D

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 02:42:18 PM »
The main controversy with glocks
initially was that somebody somewhere
started the myth that the "plastic " glocks
could be carried everywhere and go through
a security metal detector virtually invisible.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Online JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 03:09:49 PM »
Yeah, I remember that nonsense - it actually resulted in a Federal law that firearms had to have a certain amount of metal to make them detectable by the airport metal detectors.  Of course, the quantity of metal is way less than Glock or any other polymer gun - even just the barrel is way more than is required, but there you go, our government has to "do something" in the name of "safety".
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 03:17:08 PM »
It's laughable in a sad way to a
gun owner and user.
A magazine of ammo would set
off alarm bells most everywhere,
let alone the metallic parts of a
peestolla
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2022, 12:19:23 AM »
theres some decent really inexpensive guns. Nephew came to camp with one of those sccy 9mms. He paid a 175 bucks new for it. I had 3 different 9mm ammo all with cast bullets there and that thing ran about 300 rounds flawlusly. In 80s money thats about 30 bucks. I agree too that you see great little guns and good little guns that are cheap but i havent seen any that were junk like we had back in the 70s and 80s. Now im a bit of a gun snob and wouldnt be carrying a cheap gun for self protection. But not everyone has guns for a hobby or has a extra money to spend because they have bills to pay. I could see someone like that carrying a glock knock off or something like the sccy. Might not be glock or sig quality but it sure as crap beats a stick. Just got an email that my psa dagger is at the gun dealer so i should be able to pick it up today or monday. 

Well, were Glocks  plastic guns called cheap when they came out in 1982? I'm sure you could have bought several for the price of a Colt 1911. They sugar coated the word plastic, by calling them polymer.
Plastics are a group of materials, either synthetic or naturally occurring, that may be shaped when soft and then hardened to retain the given shape. Plastics are polymers. A polymer is a substance made of many repeating units.
 Most Inexpensive guns today aren't cheaply made anymore. There are some that are, but they are way better than the so called Saturday night specials of yesteryear. Today, there are pistols sold for half the price of a Glock, Smith or other high end guns, that shoot just as good and dependable. I know! I have one. I also have and have had high end...expensive popular guns. Even had one of those cheap , plastic Remington nylon 66's. Wish I still had it! Back in the day, they were frowned upon.
blue lives matter

Online scattershot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2022, 04:39:26 AM »
I’ve been wondering lately what Elmer Keith, Bill Jordan, or Jeff Cooper would have to say about these modern plastic pistols. I’m not knocking them, I have several, just curious.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2022, 06:14:28 AM »
well they liked things that worked and two of them were cops and would want the best service gun they could find so im sure theyd be using them too. As to elmer. He wasnt satisfied with conventional. Look what he did with the 44 spec and 45 colt. Took them to levels nobody dreamed of. Only thing it elmers glock would have to be a 45acp and hed run it like a super.
blue lives matter

Online nw_hunter

• Moderators
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2022, 03:31:21 AM »
Lloyd said"
theres some decent really inexpensive guns. Nephew came to camp with one of those sccy 9mms. He paid a 175 bucks new for it. I had 3 different 9mm ammo all with cast bullets there and that thing ran about 300 rounds flawlusly. In 80s money thats about 30 bucks. I agree too that you see great little guns and good little guns that are cheap but i havent seen any that were junk like we had back in the 70s and 80s.

Today's technology has changed that.
I have one of those really inexpensive guns. (Sccy 9mm).Hammer fired, It has run everything I put in it without failing to go bang.
It dam sure isn't a target pistol. It has a long, heavy trigger with a long reset. (but smooth) that's double action only. Took me a while to get used to the trigger,but it is a very safe trigger, and will do the job at SD ranges. My friend and I shoot a lot. (at least once a week,more often weather permitting) And we shoot many different makes and models.Esp. him. We have found most of the budget guns to be as reliable and accurate as the high end models. Some like the Sccy, have very good warranty's as well.
This product carries a limited product warranty that stays with the firearm. In the event your SCCY firearm requires service please contact our factory service department directly. THE MODEL CPX FIREARM IS WARRANTED TO BE FREE FROM DEFECT(S) IN MATERIAL AND WORKMANSHIP FOR A LIFETIME FROM THE DATE OF PURCHASE.
The market in firearms is huge, and there are many hitting the market today,that give the big boy's some competition for less money. Not saying they will last as long, or be worth more than you paid for it years later. (Colt Python) Produced in 1956, this superb second year production Colt Python attained $10,575 at Rock Island Auction in December 2021.But if you just need a gun to protect you and yours, you don't have to pay an arm and leg to get reliability and accuracy.

Online nw_hunter

• Moderators
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2022, 04:10:05 AM »
Well, I bought a plastic gun today, but it weren't cheap. Sig P365 comp.

I wouldn't send it back if someone bought me one of those for my birthday! ;D Hard to go wrong with a Sig. I would rather have it without the Comp. though. My ears are bad enough now.

Offline phalanx

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2023, 11:22:44 AM »
Ruger security 9 is not a good choice in handguns. The Trigger wiggles lose side to side.The safety isn't reliable either. I knew I shouldn’t buy a POS Ruger. :(
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2023, 12:12:31 PM »
Ruger security 9 is not a good choice in handguns. The Trigger wiggles lose side to side.The safety isn't reliable either. I knew I shouldn’t buy a POS Ruger. :(

I have one, not a bad gun. Neat thig about it, I tried 380 in my M&P, Glock 19 and my security 9. The first 2 wouldn't eject the 380s and the security 9 was about 90 percent successful.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2023, 10:31:29 PM »
dont understand why youd want to use 380s in a 9. 9s are easier to find and cheaper and more powerful. Now i have shot 40s in my glock 20 and 29. I can get (used to anyway) 40 brass for free and 10mm brass is something people are proud of. But even that was done just to see if it would work. If i want to shoot 40s i use my 27 22 or 23.
blue lives matter

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2023, 04:21:30 AM »
Was just doing a test to see how it worked.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2023, 05:44:45 AM »
The main reason cops or the FBI like polymar handguns is that they are lighter and easier to carry all day.  A steel gun, especially a high capacity steel gun probably weighs a pound or two more.  Cops around here carry a leather belt that holds their handgun, extra magazines, a taser, a collapsible Billy club, handcuffs, and zip ties.  I'm sure they carry a knife of some sort.  This can add quite a bit of weight to carry around all day.  A taser has a heavy battery, so it weighs probably as much a handgun.  So just around their waists, they probably have 10 lbs or more.  Female cops carry the same.  Add to that their bulletproof vests, camera, and two way radio.  They are carrying around 30-40 lbs or more every day.  Anything they can make lighter, is better for them. 
Opelika Portal
Like Like x 1 View List

Offline phalanx

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2023, 06:52:50 AM »

I have one, not a bad gun. Neat thig about it, I tried 380 in my M&P, Glock 19 and my security 9. The first 2 wouldn't eject the 380s and the security 9 was about 90 percent successful.

I would swap this Ruger for any Glock.
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline phalanx

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2023, 07:46:45 AM »
Mostly i like my Walther German P38. Police turn in, was hardly ever used. Aluminum alloy frame. Came with the black leather flap holster. And two spare mags in a belt pouch.
Constantine III