Author Topic: Shotgun Scopes for Dummies?  (Read 1235 times)

Offline student

• Trade Count: (0)
Shotgun Scopes for Dummies?
« on: March 11, 2004, 10:32:41 AM »
I'm the dummy.  I'd like to get an inexpensive scope for 100 yd shooting with rifled bbls on a 20 ga Handi and a 12 ga 870.

I do a fair amount of range shooting (I'm trying to work up a good reloaded slug) and so need a scope that can take some shock.  I'd like to have parallax adjusted at 100 or be adjustable.

Any suggestions?  I'm talking cheap!

Thanks,

Student

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 11:50:41 AM »
TASCO world class, 2-8x32. i just picked one up for a slug gun i am working on, and it takes the recoil just fine, and it was only $48.95 brand new!!!!!!!!!! you cant go wrong at that price. it has a nice matte finish, and nice clean and clear optics. its no swift which is what i use most of the time, but it was nice and cheap, and works great!!!!!!!!!!!!1
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 02:46:07 AM »
I have a Tasco World Class 2-8x32 on my CVA muzzleloader and it is a fine scope.  Three years and not a problem nor has it lost its zero in that time.  The scope is brighter than my Bushnell Banner 3-9x40.

But, my personal choice would be a 3-9x40 Bushnell Trophy for the use you are speaking of.  I have two 1.75-4x32 Trophy scopes on my slug guns and they are the brightest scopes that I have found for the money I spent on them.  The 3-9x40 canbe found for around $99 at Riflescopes.com and The Optics Zone.

Check your PM...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline student

Thanks for the info
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 12:28:30 PM »
I appreciate it, and will have to decide just how cheap I will be on this purchase!

Student

Offline Mad Dog

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 02:11:48 AM »
My son has a 2 1/2x fixed on his 20 ga. tracker II[bushnell].  Been on it 11 yrs., and we have only had to re adjust sites a couple of times.  I have a simmons 1.5-5x pro diamond on my 870, and it has been great, with only a couple of adjustments in the last 7-8 yrs.  I also have a 2 1/2x fixed cabela's pine ridge, on my huntsman ML that has been a sweetie, too.  I guess what I am saying is, yeah you can go cheap[ the above scopes were all in the $65-80 range], just don't go TOO cheap.  Most likely you will get along fine.

Mad Dog
Mad Dog

Offline student

Scope rings for 32 mm objective lens
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 03:21:28 AM »
If I get a Tasco World Class 2x8 with the 32 mm objective, can I use medium rings, or will I need to stick with the high ones?

BTW, thanks for the info Mad Dog, the Tasco is sounding pretty good to me right now!

Student

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 06:06:20 AM »
One manufacturers medium rings may be another ones high rings so you may have to experiment.   I use Millet high rings on my Ultra Slugger so that the eye bell will clear the hammer and hammer extension.   Even though your scope may only have a 32mm objective lens you have to worry about hammer and extension clearance at the ocular lens end of things.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline student

Right on the Rings
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 11:11:38 AM »
Forgot about the hammer!  Burris High rings have worked for me on my .223, so I guess I'll go with them again.

Thanks

Student