Author Topic: Encore Got Bloodied Tonight..  (Read 3418 times)

Offline Bill In SC

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Encore Got Bloodied Tonight..
« on: November 22, 2002, 03:44:37 PM »
Well, the Encore with the 30-06 (rifle) barrel got bloodied tonight.  Nice 3 point (some folks would call it a 5) buck.  I would just call it a nice South Carolina Buck.  Got into the stand about 3:45, and the wind was howling...  Thought I was in one of those carnival rides..  Stand moving back and forth!  Kept thinking, why in the heck are we out here.

About 4:45 the wind layed down, dang it was nice.  Was glancing back in forth between the power line cut, and a large field area, back in the corners.  At about 5:05, I glanced up the cut, and said "dang.. how did that deer get there?"  There was a nice deer about 125 yards up the cut broadside with it's head down.  Eased the Encore up and found it in the scope.  As it raised his head, I seen horns!  Dropped the cross hairs to the correct spot and touched one off.  Bang...  Deer never took a step.  Dropped in his tracks.

After waiting for a bit, and letting the jitters settle down, I walked out to the Buck.  Nice South Carolina buck,  on the scales, he went 135.

Load was a 150 grain Sierra SP Boat Tail sitting on top of 57 grains of IMR 4350.  This combination lit by a CCI 200 has produced MOA groups in this rifle.  Shoot pretty dang good out of the bolt gun also.

I was surprised at the amount of damage done by the bullet...  It was a classic broad side shot, lungs destroyed and hart destroyed.  I can see why he never took a step.

Well time to put the 7mm-08 barrel on and get one with that...