Author Topic: Probably made a mistake when buying varmint scope  (Read 778 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Probably made a mistake when buying varmint scope
« on: March 15, 2004, 08:07:36 AM »
I thought I'd try a 6-24x Tasco Varmint scope ($80) and I think it was a mistake for my application.  The scope is for my 12 year old son to use. I can't see through his eyes, so I can't adjust it for him. I think it could be frustrating for him to use because of the need to understand the parallax adjustments. I think I should mount my 3-9x Leupold instead because it's very forgiving as to eye relief and head position, and because it's not so powerful as to require a parallax adjustment.

What do you think about this?

I also suspect the value of the Tasco scope. I know that optics is a "you get what you pay for" proposition and this is the only "cheap" scope I've ever bought. It seems to have a huge amount of parallax. When I move my head, the crosshairs REALLY move on the target.  Not having used an AO scope before, I wonder how accurate the graduations on the bell really are. At 100 yards, I seem to get the least parallax when I set the bell from 300 yards to infinity.  

Thanks for your ideas.
Safety first

Offline Questor

Probably made a mistake when buying varmint
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 08:12:03 AM »
As an addendum to this, I ask for recommendations for a decent varmint scope. This is something that needs to be reliable, but doesn't need to be top quality. Is there such a thing as a decent 14+ power scope for under $200?
Safety first

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 08:24:10 AM »
I think you are right. Too complicated. Go with the Leupold. I have a cheap Tasco Worldclass on one of my gun and love it. Mount it on a 22 or 223 for varmint hunting.

Offline bgjohn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 08:36:13 AM »
To adjust the objective lens you just look through the scope at your target and adjust the objective lens until the image is clearest. Simple as that.
JM
I know nothing. I am only a messenger.

Offline Questor

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 08:43:51 AM »
Thanks bgjohn. The manual says nothing about how to adjust it. That helps.
Safety first

Offline SBF

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.members.cox.net/cruffler
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 10:09:26 AM »
Quote from: Questor
This is something that needs to be reliable, but doesn't need to be top quality. Is there such a thing as a decent 14+ power scope for under $200?

Check out the 44 Mag series Simmons scopes.  They run about $150 for the higher power variable scopes.  I have two myself, 1 on my modded 10/22 and 1 on my Marlin 17VS.  I think they are a great value for the money.
SmallBoreFreak and Cruffler

Offline coyote 2

• Avid Poster
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/schwager/
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 11:23:22 AM »
I guess I have to disagree:

I thought I'd try a 6-24x Tasco Varmint scope ($80) and I think it was a mistake for my application. The scope is for my 12 year old son to use.

I raised two sons and both are excellent shooters. I think for someone his age - a fixed power scope - 4 to 12 power would be just the ticket. Let him have fun shooting and not have to worry about adjusting the objective lens and making hunting or plinking too complicated. With a good 6 to 12 power scope he should become good enough to make "quick" - clean kills if hunting. Its far more important at this age to make the shooting experience a fun time - while still teaching safety and teaching him to be a good sportsman.  
But that is just my .02 Cents worth.
Don't cry because its over - Smile because it happened!