Author Topic: Crow Hunters Out There???  (Read 1677 times)

Offline VarmintController

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Crow Hunters Out There???
« on: February 26, 2004, 12:09:03 PM »
:D  :D  :D  Hi all you Folks out there. i am starting the good old crow season up here again, and i just thought i would toss this out there and see what you guys have found the best gear for crows?? i will of course start out as its only fair, i am the one wondering :-)  :-)  :-)

i use a remington 870 Wingmaster and its a fixed mod. choked barrel.  loaded with remington "shurshot" Heavy Game Loads in #6 i find it has no trouble with the old "black buzzards" :twisted:  :twisted:  i have used a few different calls, i like the primos about the best for a mouth call, but most of the time i use my "Extreme Dimension Digitel caller" and it brings them smart leery old birds in almost everytime. we use blinds that are built into treelines, and they also include overhead cover.  i am happy with this gear, and it has not left me crowless at the end of the day yet :-D  :-D  :-D
The Proud Owner Of AMERICAN Made Guns!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 12:44:37 PM »
:oh:  :yeah:  I started off hunting crows about 45 years or more ago using an Olt mouth call and a J. C. Higgins Model 20 12 ga. shotgun. Also at times used a Winchester Model 74 chambered in .22 short only.

I guess I've killed more with a Remington Model 870 Wingmaster tho than all others put together over the years. I also have a full camo Model 11-87 I am prone to use especially with some of the heavier loads I use at times. My most often used load is hand loads with 1-1/4 oz. of #7-1/2 shot. This has been my mainstay load for 30 years or more. But I've used from a 7/8 oz. load in a 20 ga. to a 2 oz. load of #4s or #6s in a 3" 12 ga. They all do the job when you do yours.

My first electronic call was an old Johnny Steward record player. Ya had to be careful when you walk away after turning it on to not catch a vine or anything with your foot that moved the call or the needle would skate over the record and make some really strange noises.  :)  I now have a pretty old cassete player also made by Johnny Steward. Been many a thousands of crows shot over those two players.

Our best day was 101 taken by two of us in either late March or early April. I've forgotten the precise date as it was a lot of years ago. I had gone in mid March and shot 45 by myself and then about 2-3 weeks or so later me and my cousin went and got the 101. Crows were still coming in droves at each stop but we ran out of shells.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline AllenRead

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 09:43:38 AM »
I've never hunted crows, but there is a huge flock that roosts near here.  It seems like it would be a fun hunt, but I have one question: What do you do with the crows that you harvest?  
Thanks!
Allen

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2004, 10:30:34 AM »
I have never gone out to hunt crows, but this time of year I carry a call with me incase there coyotes are all sleeping.  Last Sunday I called in 0 coyotes so I switched to an old crow call and in came 6 crows.

I heard and interesting stat from a biologist on crows over the weekend.  Crows kill more game birds in a year than hunters.   :shock:

On one coyote stand before I started calling in crows I saw two crows pick a fight with two (mating pair) bald eagles trying to set up a roost next to my dad's farm.  The eagles have roosted on the same terrice for three years, out in the middle of a field, in the middle of no where.

While the crows were there the eagle got nothing done but fight off the agile crows.

You ever wonder why tom turkeys gobble in hate and discust at the sound of a crow?  I wonder how many turkeys in a year crows kill, or nests they destroy.

Anyway, I'm glad to take as many as I can.  I didn't feel this way towards crow until recently, but over the last couple of years I've learned alot more about crows.  Helping to spread the west nile virus, etc.

I leave mine in known coyote and racoon travel routes so I know they'll be eaten by the next morning.  I don't want the crows to be maggot food.  I don't like crows, but they still deserve better than that.  And the coyotes deserve to be fat when I shoot them for their coat.  :wink:

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline jeff223

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 11:14:09 AM »
heres a couple of crows.i shoot a few every year

Offline Moonlitin

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 01:39:11 PM »
What do you do with the crows that you harvest?

This doesn't sound good to me...but check it out.  At first, I thought it was a practical joke.
http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm
Moonlitin

Offline Primer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 05:11:28 AM »
Magic crow call :?:

A friend (avid crow hunter) taught me how to do some calling for crows. Went out a few times in the spring with my new mouth call,and started to get some pretty good results and also learning some do's & don'ts. Impressed with my newly developed tallent,..I invited a friend to go crow hunting with me one early Sat morning.

Crept into a small wood lot ,after spotting a few sentries, surrounded by crop fields and with larger wood lots in the distance. Set up concealed inside and along the edge and started some calling. Few scout crows arrived and looked things over. Challenged them with "dying fight call". They left agitated for a few large wood sections in the distance.
About 20 min later,we started to hear crow chatter and noise building in that direction, as we hid nervously awaiting some action and continued to send out challenging calls periodically. What happened next, we were absolutely not prepared for. :roll:

As we peered out through our ambush site and ears peeled for any sound clues,..we heard ever-increasing crow agitation  decisively approaching which sounded like many a crow. Suddenly we could make out a straight attack line of crows closing on our position which had to be over 70-80 strong,....and coming at us like an angry wave. Behind that wave was a second one! :shock: I didn't think there were that many crows in the whole county!

The first wave struck, with my excited calls egging them on,and it looked like an Alfred Hitchcock movie. Crows were diving everywhere and our 12 ga & 16 Ga shot filled the air in every direction. Crows were dropping,screaming,diving and circling overhead and in the trees. This crow hunt had turned into all out warfare and I honestly was becoming concerned  for our safety.  :eek:  

Being overconfident before the hunt (lucky for once) we had each brought about a box of shotshells in a possibles bag.
I'm here to tell you that we ran out of shells and the woods floor was littered in black. To this day, my bud swears he killed one by striking it with the barrel of his gun. It was like the Pearl Harbor movie, or the attacks on Wake Island at the start of WWII!  :grin: We should of had bayonets affixed to our muzzles.

The crows finally left and not being sure whether or not they were preparing for a second run at us,.......we quickly gathered our gear,empty guns and beat it out of there,...excited,stunned and in disbelief of what had just taken place.

For you guys that hunt crows on a regular basis,...my hat is off to you! For me, I have not hunted crows since.....nor has my friend. I'm not sure if this hunt incident was anywhere close to normal.. or not ,but have to believe that it was a rare turn of events and dumb luck,or lack of it.

Now, I laugh about it,..and the thought of my friend (huntin bud) thinking for a long time that I was one special caller/or owned one magic call.  :)

Ready to try it again, I'm thinking ?........Primer

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2004, 07:26:51 AM »
Primer that sounds like it was a blast !!! (Pardon the pun.)   :eek: It sounds better than waiting around for a few scawny doves to stumble by within shotgun range.   :roll:  I'm thinking about giving this crow thing a try myself.  I'm open to any and all advice on what I need to get started.  :blaster:

Brett
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2004, 09:42:41 PM »
:)  :)  :)  :)  :-D  :-D That is one great story Primer. Thanks for the laughs!  :D
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline PawDaddy

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 03:27:37 PM »
Guys, that really sounds like a lot of fun!  Is there a web site devoted to crow hunting?  Where can I get more info?  I am just getting back into the shotgun and I really want to give this a try.
PawDaddy

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 07:04:50 PM »
I've not checked in there in a long time but there used to be a forum site just for Crow Hunting. Here is the URL I have for it:

http://www.crowbusters.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

It was called Crow Buster's Bulletin Board I think. There is a guy with a first name of Jerry I think who sells crow calls and tapes and videos and has recipes for crows even. I've spoken with him in person a time or two  and I think he has a web site but not sure the URL of it.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline PawDaddy

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2004, 08:17:44 PM »
Thanks for the link, Graybeard!
PawDaddy

Offline Rogmatt

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2004, 01:50:30 AM »
Woke up this morning to the sound of 2 huge crows in my back yard. I live in a subdivision and was thinking "How loud could the .410 be, maybe no one will notice if I blast one. Then the responsible side of me took over and said " No, better get the 12ga."  Never did do it as I am out the door to head to Tallahassee for a quick business meeting. Will be back on tonite.
good day to all.

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2004, 02:05:42 AM »
Here in OK we actually have a regulated season for crows and I think they are actually under the migratory bird (HIP) protection here. I think it's just another way to get more money out of hunters, but anyway.......Our season ended on Mar. 4 and I had my grandson coming for a weekend on 5-8, had a trip all planned and then found out about the closing of the season.  :x  Gonna try again next year though. Definitely sounds like great fun.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Primer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2004, 04:57:02 AM »
We have seasons here in Mich also. First one is Aug 1 thru Sept 30, and second is in progress ( Feb 1 untill Mar 31 ).

Since reading/posting on this thread, I have been noticing just how many crows are around here. :grin:  Lot more than I had realized and most active in the morning and afternoon hrs. Some of the flocks "cruising for a brusing" are 30 strong,but noticed the avg seems to be about a dozen birds. Hmmmmm!

Was over at the gun club a few days ago (break in the weather) shooting the Huntsman ML, and was talking to a local that uses his 17 HMR on the black devils and having a blast. Doesn't get large numbers but gives him and gun a chance to get out and enjoy the challenge.

I wonder where I put that Olt Crow Call. :roll:  Maybe my Primos Power Crow will get em going. :)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2004, 05:35:09 AM »
Primer, That old timer was right on in using his .17 HMR on crows. Mine gets used some on them also and it is truly fun and challenging...<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2004, 07:30:50 PM »
Actually the reason for the season on crows in some states is a treaty with Mexico. They have a rare magpie that is in the same family as crows (corvidea or some such). The treaty was written too broadly and thus covers all members which include all crows, magpies and even rooks and ravens.

The treaty allows for a 120 day season with no part of it falling in the breeding season for them. BUT there is a loop hole if you will. You can take them any time they are in the process of doing damage to farm crops. Some states like Bama where I live have jumped thru the hoops to delcare that any and all crows you see are in the process or doing damage to crops or heading to where they will do so. Thus our season is year round with no bag limits.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2004, 02:14:19 AM »
The following is at the end of our season regs here in OK. Wonder if we could fit into those 'Bama loopholes?

Depredation Order
    Federal law provides for a depredation order for crows when committing or about to commit depredations or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance. For a complete copy of the Depredation Order, see 50 CFR, Part 20.43.

Haven't found 50 CFR, Part 20.43. yet but I'm still looking  :?
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2004, 02:26:31 AM »
Watch it like2hunt, it looks as if those crows in that field your watching may be, could be, should be. would be, possibly, in the opinion of the hunter, thinking about almost being ready, TO COMMIT A DEPREDATION, looks like it from here and I'll swear to it!!....SHOOT-SHOOT!!!....<><.... :D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline lik2hunt

• Authentic and Genuine
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2004, 12:35:33 PM »
:blaster:  :gun4:  :biggun:  :blaster:

:-D    :-D    :-D        :)    :)    :)
lik2hunt------>in OK

www.dsheriff.org

Offline ScatterGunner

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2004, 02:32:56 PM »
crow dinner:

marinade: 1cup jim beam,  1 cup soy sauce, 1 tbsp chopped garlic, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 cup grated onion.

marinate 18 - 24 cleaned crow breasts overnight, a full day is better, stir at least twice.

spoon marinated meat onto cookie sheet, toss in a few chopped up strips of bacon and bake at 350 for 20 - 25 minutes, a hint of pink isn't bad.

serve with red potatoes, quartered and roasted or wild rice, and asparagus.

feeds about 4 normal guys or 18 - 24 pussies.

field tested, kids love it, mothers approve.

scattered.
there''s room for all of God''s fauna and flora, right on my dinner plate!