Author Topic: Bases  (Read 500 times)

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Bases
« on: March 14, 2004, 07:39:57 AM »
Finally took delivery of new .270 left hand Rem 700.   I need bases for the scope.  What are the advantages/disadvantages in the 1 pc vs. 2 pc for scopes, including  staying in line/focus?   Also what is the advantage/disadvantage of Dual F/R cam lock vs. adjustable rear base (excluding scope movement) IE: cleaner looking, lighter, etc.   Am  I correct that most newer scopes have adequate adjustments to use the dual cam lock?

Offline Dave in WV

Bases
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 01:00:15 PM »
IMHO the dual dovetail (if that's what you mean by cam lock) is much better for strength. Seldom will you run out of windage adjustment. In my experience if you run out of elevation adjustment at 100 yards you have a scope problem and not a ring and base problem. If you buy Burris Signature dual dovetail rings you can buy inserts that will correct the alignment problems.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Bases
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 12:42:29 AM »
I agree with Dave.  I think the Dual Dovetail are the way to go.  As for the 1 or 2 piece base, I don't think that there is any major difference, but I like the looks of a 2 piece better.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Dave in WV

Bases
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 05:07:48 AM »
I forgot to mention the two piece bases don't cover the receiver opening so it's easier to load the rifle.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Curly

• Avid Poster
Bases
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 07:16:57 AM »
Thanks for the replies.    I was thinking about the dual dovetail because of unloading.    I do not have a magazine opening on the bottom of the gun.  This is built like the ADL.