Author Topic: STUCK EJECTOR!! NEED HELP  (Read 1041 times)

Offline huntsalot

• Trade Count: (0)
STUCK EJECTOR!! NEED HELP
« on: March 19, 2004, 01:47:26 PM »
OK guys. I was out shooting the handi today in my 7mm-08. I can honestly vouch for getting around 200 rounds through the rifle before it begins to come into its own. The last two times I have shot it I have got the best groups yet.  And the last two times it has held its POI instead of scattering. Today shot 1" groups at 100 yards over the hood of my truck( not the steadiest of places) but I was very pleased. On my very last round when I opened the action ot eject, it didn't eject. I thought i would get in in the house and just push out the spent case with the cleaning rod , which I done, but no ejector coming out. I used a gunsmith screwdriver right inside the barel where the ejector engages the case and tried to open it and could move it, but it wouldn't open. How do I get this open??? Any body thats encoutered this and I would beleive many from the old NEF board, please chime in here and give me some advice. Thanks
Brian
Whitey

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Re: STUCK EJECTOR!! NEED HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 01:58:06 PM »
Quote from: huntsalot
I used a gunsmith screwdriver right inside the barel where the ejector engages the case and tried to open it and could move it, but it wouldn't open.
Brian

Brian,
  When you say you were able to move it with the screwdriver, but not open it, do you mean it wouldn't stay open? Were you able to move it to the normal open barrel position with the screwdriver?
Don

Offline huntsalot

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 04:17:08 PM »
I wasn't able to get it to open. I was able to move it, but it seemed like it had some kind of spring tension on it holding it in. HOpe this makes since. It is not in the open barrel position. Thanks.
Brian
Whitey

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 04:22:01 PM »
Huntsalot Take your barrel off of the frame, Look on the side
The big hole with the pin in it take a small screw driver see you
can move the pin down and unlock the ejector, also see that pin is
broke off. That is about all I can tell with out looking, sounds like
 it is not unlocking. Marv.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 04:32:52 PM »
Brian,
  With the barrel removed, look under the barrel on the chamber end. You'll see the ejector trip runs down the center under the barrel, see if that will move. That's the piece that trips the ejector when the barrel opens. It may be that it is stuck, or it's spring broke. Let me know how you make out with it.
Don

Offline huntsalot

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 04:42:51 PM »
Ok guys Im back in buissness. I was really getting discouraged this evening. I have been about to trade the gun off 3 times or so because it wasn't shooting good. Then you all kept saying, give it a couple hundred shots. These need it to brake in. Well sure enough it started coming around and as of this evening it shot consistent and accurate with comparison to last time. I was happy and then found the ejector problem and thought Im going to have to send it back to factory anyways. The barrel was already removed from cleaning after shooting this evening. The ejector was locked into the barrel though. I thought maybe some solvent will loosen it up, It may have some accumulated junk under it not letting it out. Well I cleaned it and came back answered big blue's first post and then decided to put it back together and take to smith tomorrow. When I put it back together and shut it down, I screwed on the forend and then I with hope hit the release and when she broke open that ejector came out with a nice loud click! I took a toothebrush and cleaned in around and behind it good and wiped it off. It seems to be functioning fine now. I don't know what happened. I would like to know so if it happens again I will  know how to fix it. Thanks for the post and advise. Im going to copy it and save it in case future calls for it.
Brian
Whitey

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 04:51:43 PM »
I'm glad it worked out for you. I had this happen to me within the first 5 shots from my 7mm-08, and thought the ejector wasn't cleaned properly, it turned out to be the trip under the barrel.
Don

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 07:20:54 PM »
huntsalot
You might want to disassemble the ejector.  I read of more than a few members that when they open theirs up found quite a bit of metal shavings.  This might be what caused your to stick.

If you send me your email to slewis53@adelphia.net I'll forward an email from another member (Perklo) with instructions on doing this.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2004, 01:35:21 AM »
handirifle, any chance of forwarding those directions in the e-mail to one of the Moderators, Duce or Mac11700 and getting them posted in the FAQ's, they sound like something we could all use occasionally, Thanks....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2004, 01:16:18 PM »
I'll try.  The info came from Perklo on the NEF-SINGLESHOT forum at yahoo.  All the credit goes to him.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2004, 02:04:04 PM »
Thanks handirifle, I am sure you will do your best. Duce has already added a couple of things to the FAQ so he already knows how to do it...<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2004, 06:29:59 PM »
I sent a PM to duece and will wait his reply to upload the PDF file for this project.