Author Topic: .243 bullit weight?  (Read 1143 times)

Offline kirkman

• Trade Count: (0)
.243 bullit weight?
« on: March 12, 2004, 02:42:34 AM »
I am buying a NEf .243 with the bull barrel. I plan on using it primarily for coyotes and to fill a nuisance Deer permits. My Question is what bullet weight should I use. I would like to have the same bullet for both. I am not going to reload so I need a off the shelf round. -----Thanks in advance.
A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.
 (This is very important. Pay attention. It never fails.)

Offline flintlock

.243 bullit weight?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 04:06:37 AM »
Federal Premium 85gr BTHP...sight in 2 1/2 high at 100yds and you will be about 2 1/2 low at 300 (at least my Ruger 77 with 24 inch barrel is)...
this round will go through both shoulder blades on a deer...and on center lung shots will exit...I've killed 11 deer with this in last few years from 30 to 225 yards...and a buddy has killed 6 more...only 3 did not drop at the shot...these were shot through the lungs and went 50-75 yards, with a good blood trail...I would assume that it will exit on a coyote...so you will have pelt damage...This isn't your typical hollow point...its actually a long range deer/antelope round...If you want to keep the pelt, I'd try the Winchester Supreme 55gr ballistic tip (3910 fps) for coyotes...and then
see where the Federal load hits...I've had my .243 since 1980...and have tried all but the 90-95 grain ballistic tips on deer...with my gun I can also use the 100gr Core Lokts, Federal Nosler Partitions or Hornadys...up to 200 yards they all preform well...so, in the woods I sometimes load up with them...but, if you only want one bullet for all...the 85gr Federal will do it all....flintlock

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
.243 bullit weight?
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 08:32:59 PM »
kirkman
Flintlock posted some good advice.  The 85gr BTHP will do both.  It is way more than enough for coyote.  Good advice on the pelt too.  The 85gr will be terrible to the pelt.

The 243 is a good choice for what you want.  That dual purpose use is what it was designed for.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline kirkman

.243 bullit weight?
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 04:40:10 PM »
Thanks guys !      
I will go buy some rounds and head for the range!
A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.
 (This is very important. Pay attention. It never fails.)