Author Topic: Favorite Scope Rings  (Read 1325 times)

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Favorite Scope Rings
« on: March 17, 2004, 02:49:50 PM »
Looking for opinions.  Which are the favorite Brand rings for NEF & H&R rifles?  Overheard 2 brothers discussing this subject at the range last weekend, thought they were going to come to blows.  It would have been funny except they were serious.  It was Leopold vs Weaver.  Never thought it was a subject that would cause such strong opinions.  Is it?
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline skoutfitter

• Trade Count: (0)
Favorite Scope Rings
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 02:58:34 PM »
I like the Burris Signature Zee Rings best myself.  I use the mediums with standard 0 +- inserts and all works well.  I have also used the Millett Angle-Locs in medium but you have to lap them.   :wink:
Never forget the Creator who makes it all possible  <><

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Favorite Scope Rings
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 03:26:13 PM »
I have and like the Millet Angle Locs. Did not have to lap mine. I use the highs rings with my 6.5-20x50 Simmons Whitetail Classic on my .223 Handi. They are a perfect match fit wise. I also like the adjustable "Angle-Loc" feature to use while bore sighting the scope. Excellent quality evident in the manufacture....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
Favorite Scope Rings
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 03:30:20 PM »
Quote from: MSP Ret
I have and like the Millet Angle Locs. Did not have to lap mine. I use the highs rings with my 6.5-20x50 Simmons Whitetail Classic on my .223 Handi. They are a perfect match fit wise. I also like the adjustable "Angle-Loc" feature to use while bore sighting the scope. Excellent quality evident in the manufacture....<><.... :grin:

MSP...
Could you post a picture of your .223 ?
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Favorite Scope Rings
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 03:49:23 PM »
10 Ga., wish I could, I got a digital camera and was successful in posting pictures of a couple of things on e-bay but as far as posting to this site I'm lost.  My .223  is a model SB2-32L which I purchased from a member of the old H&R site last year. He mentioned it was for sale and I responded first and bought it. It has a camo laminate stock, Monte Carlo w/checkering, bull barrel (22") and an inset medallion in the stock stating "NEF Special Edition". I was a bit leary of buying someone else's problems but took a chance on another forum member and it worked out great. Accurate, no extraction-ejection problems and locks up tight. Looks brand new and even came in the original box with the lock and all the paperwork!!! The serial number starts with NR so I can add "high intensity" barrels to it also. After checking scopes at several sporting goods stores I bought a Simmons 6.5-20x50 Whitetail Classic from SWFA. Then after reading pros and cons on the old H&R site I ordered some high Millet Angle Loc rings and everything went together slick. I see that SWFA has some Simmons 6.5-20x50 Whitetail Expeditions offered in their "sample list" now for $119.95 plus shipping, a good deal I think. I paid $99.95 plus shipping for my Whitetail Classic. Don't you just love it when plan comes together!!....<><.... :grin:  (I'll try to learn how to post pictures and get some of my "Handi" family in the album...)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Favorite Scope Rings
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 12:52:05 AM »
I have High Millett Detachable Aluminum Rings on my Ultra Slugger and Millett High Angle-Loc Rings on my Ultra Varmint 223.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline offhand35

• Trade Count: (74)
  • Contributor
Favorite Scope Rings
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 01:15:38 AM »
MSP, regarding posting photos:
go to hunt101.com
Set up a free account to create your own photo gallery. When you download a photo or photos to your gallery, you will find at the bottom a URL for each photo.  Do a "copy" or Control C for this URL (it is very long).
Then create a post here, and on a separte line from the text, paste or Control V the copied URL address.
The post will pull the photo down so  everyone can see it!
Try it, I think you'll be pleased!
David
Squirrel.......the OTHER dark meat.....!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Which Scope Rings
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 03:03:09 AM »
My favorite rings would have to be Leupold Quick Release type.I've had a set on my Marlin 1895 GC for over a year and they would great.When ever I take my scope on and off of it,it returns to the same POI everytime.They cost a little more than your average set of rings but they truely do work...just like they are suppose to.

For the money and a regular set of rings...I'll take the Leipold Rifleman rings ,,found at your local Walmart for $16.98 plus tax.I have them on my restocked 308 Survivor holding my Simmons 4x12x42 AO Whittail Expidition. I think this is a great set up for the money.

These are the high Rifleman rings and Simmons scope,and they work very well together.

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Favorite Scope Rings
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 03:50:43 AM »
Thanks for the picture info Offhand35, I'll fiddle with it this afternoon, after I shovel off the driveway, more snow, will it ever stop??? 2 days to spring and counting!!....<><.... :shock:

Offline Maine Woods

• Avid Poster
ring choice
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 04:02:20 AM »
I like the Buris signature Zee.

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
Favorite Scope Rings
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 04:47:04 AM »
I have to agree with Mac 11700,  on rings Leupold High from wally,
I have one set midium high on a NEF, Useing a Redfield wide fied
2 X 7 scope works good.  :D Marv.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
Favorite Scope Rings
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2004, 05:37:53 AM »
I'm probably in the minority, but most of my rifles and shotguns have weaver rings.  They're lite, rugid, and I've never had a scope slip in them.  

Oh, and you can't beat the price.  :wink:

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun