Author Topic: Casting hollow base bullits?  (Read 609 times)

Offline Will52100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Casting hollow base bullits?
« on: March 20, 2004, 12:05:10 AM »
How does one go about casting hollow base bullits, for say 38 long colt?

Can you get a multiple cavity hollow base mold for reasonable money?

Thanks,

Will
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline wener

hollow base
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 01:53:52 AM »
If lee would have one they would be the least inexpensive, rapine has them for i think right around $100.00 or more and i have an extra one lying around in a 2 cav. made by n.e.i. that i would get rid of, but im not sure that you want to spend alot of money for one! they can be quite annoying until you get use to them! most of the time they have to poured in a manner that the lead swirls in order for the bullet to come out right!

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 07:07:29 AM »
how much slower is it to cast hollow vs. solid?
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Cactus Cris

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 09:06:03 AM »
It isn't that it is slower than casting solid  if yer used to 1 or 2 at a time.  I have a Rapine HB mold that I use for my 58 Remi's with the R&D conversions.  Cast 1 at a time.  All HB molds that I have seen are top pour ( nose has the sprue)    Rapine makes a fine HB mold in either 140 or 158 gr. size.  Either one will work for your 38.
Cactus Cris  SASS 2790  Darkside Posse, Cart maker, Corral Keeper, Gpa of 6

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004, 11:00:02 AM »
I've used both Lee and Lyman HB moulds. The Lee casts about as quickly as any single cavity mould. The lyman has a base plug that you must remove and reinsert for each cast and it cuts the rate by at least half. The Lyman is also very difficult to get the base plug to casting temp. I wound up building a little gizzie to hold the plug over a low flame form a propane torch. It casts well when both the mould and the plug are up to casting temp, but it is exasperating to get them there.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 11:12:46 AM »
I have a couple of the Lee hollow base moulds, although not for pistol.  They are the shotgun slug and minne ball moulds.  They are no slower than any of their other single cavity moulds.  Actually they seem to work faster.  Real easy to use.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 04:27:35 PM »
OK, next question, is it worth while to cast with wheel weights or pay .16$ a round for ready cast hollow base bullits?  I plan on loading with black powder.

The main thing is for me to cut the cost down because I can go through a hundred rounds in an afternoon, not counting CAS shoots.

On the other hand I don't have a lot of free time and I don't want to spend several days to cast a couple three hundred or so rounds.

Opinions, sugestions, ect.

Also checking into the posibility of getting solid cast bullits and sleaving the barrel to 357.

Thanks,

Will
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2004, 06:17:39 PM »
I've never loaded for the .38 LC, but I think you would be a lot better off getting a proper heel type mould cut than using way undersized HB bullets. Mountain Molds will make a two cavity quite reasonably to your specs, and that should let you cast about 250 an hour. They have just started offering three cavities and one of those would cast well over 300 an hour.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline wener

38 long colt
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 01:12:32 PM »
not only do i make bullets for the 38 long colt but i reload for it as well,,the rebated bullet would be good and you could make alot but you might run into promblems trying to crimp and im sure someone will have the answer to that!!!! the hollow base might be better (i know there just as accurate if not more) as it would have to be made of pure lead in order to form to the barrel dia. properly!!! if anyone knows of a crimp die for the rebated bullet please let me know as i would love to have one!