Author Topic: New Ultra Varmint .243 in!  (Read 970 times)

Offline TomC1426

• Trade Count: (0)
New Ultra Varmint .243 in!
« on: March 17, 2004, 06:47:24 PM »
Layed away the Ultra in january and its finally here. Will be heading toward the range first of next week if weather permits and I'll post on how good (or bad) a shooter I am. :-) Plan on giving it a good cleaning this weekend before the first shot. Any suggestions on any other things I need to do, or should this be enough for starters?

Thanks,
Tom

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 07:29:33 PM »
Tom
Congrats!
I went over my 223 Ultra very well with JB's bore paste using a jagger and patch coated with JB's.  Ran this back and forth with several patches, till the bore felt smooth.  It was a little rough feeling at first.

I then placed some paste on a empty case that had a screw in the base. I chucked this in my drill and slowly run it back and forth to hone the chamber.  

I then sprayed gun cleaner and solvents into the ejector area and then cleaned it all with Hoppes #9.

Fired about 30 rds through it first trip to the range, not a single stuck case, using handloads and factory stuff.  I found one load of Hornady bullets that gave less than 3/4" 3 shot group at 100yds.  I am very pleased so far.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline 243tom

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 02:04:01 PM »
Nice gun for sure.......I'm enjoying mine more every time I get out. I too did the bore swabbing,,although I couldn't find the JB,,ended up with Iosso and used a 410 shotgun swab saturated with paste and my battery drill for the chamber,,haven't had a stuck case yet.
As far as ammo..... Hornady factory 58gr moly v max is all I've shot so far,and I'm pretty happy with it. I believe the gun shoots better after a few rounds,,,or maybe I just get more comfortable after a few shots.
I just recieved some bulk 75gr v max ammo from Cabelas,,so once I shoot some I'll post the results of it.
Enjoy your new rifle ,,,,,,,critter seasons' a comin'.

Offline Moe

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 03:21:26 AM »
Where do you guys get JB paste? Gun shop? Mail order? I am just discovering these neat little rifles. Handled my first three yesterday. Do they have interchangable barrels?
Thanks

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 07:18:23 AM »
Moe...
Here is info on the barrels

http://www.hr1871.com/barrelAcc/index.htm
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 08:31:11 AM »
moe
I got mine from a gun shop.  He recommended it to be used as lube for low velocity lead bullet loads for firelapping a BC barrel.

I used it to polish this barrel and chamber by hand.

So far so good.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!