Author Topic: 7 grains Unique in 7tcu  (Read 449 times)

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
7 grains Unique in 7tcu
« on: April 10, 2004, 03:24:28 PM »
I loaded some 168 gr gas checked slugs on top of ~7 grains of Unique to get an "urban deer" load.I tried them  at 50 yards today.The guy at the next bench thought I missed the paper as he only saw one hole in the target. We walked down to check it out and he was surprised to see them all clustered in one ragged hole. I taped two phone books together and put them at 50 yards and shot thru them both with 2 shots.Our phone books are about 2" thick each. I was hoping to have a bullet to look at after hitting some thing,guess I'll try 4 books next time.The exit holes were very large.Got me thinking about the Easter bunny! hmmm!
  Oh yeah,I was using sand bags and a 7x scope.
  happy Easter to all  jh

Offline haroldclark

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
7MM TCU Cast bullets
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 07:15:18 PM »
That is some nice grouping with 7TCU and cast bullets.  I'm going to try that one myself.

What bullet mold are you using?

I have a Saeco 073 that casts out at 165 grains.  I have not tried Unique.

Harold Clark

Offline jgalar

• Trade Count: (0)
7 grains Unique in 7tcu
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 03:31:47 AM »
I know Unique is a shotgun/pistol powder, but I think it really shines as a reduced rifle cartridge powder.

When I first tried it using a volume measure and weighed the charges there was quite a bit of variance in the weights. I loaded them anyway. The targets didn't show any variance.  I load all my Unique using a volume measure now. Its easily ignited so its not case position sensitive also. Just don't try to get hi-velocity using it.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
7 grains Unique in 7tcu
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2004, 07:22:23 AM »
I have a Lee mold and an RCBS 168 mold. I'm not real sure which I used to cast these slugs,They have been in the can a long time.They are softer than I normally cast,the noses were compressed when I sized & gas checked them. I have to get the chrono out and see how fast they are.
 I was hoping for an URBAN deer load but these might be a bit loud for this. I have had excellent accuracy from many cast loads. I hunted with a 30-06 loaded with cast for several years and never felt handicapped by the velocity limits.