Author Topic: Finally got out to shoot  (Read 636 times)

Offline James B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Finally got out to shoot
« on: March 22, 2004, 05:27:43 PM »
The weather was good today and I went out to shoot the new 44 Mag and 45-70. The 44 shot real well right off the bat. I had to adjust the sight to the right to bring it in line but it shot an easy one inch group with the open sights at 50 yards. Two were in the same hole and the third just a tad high. The 45-70 was a little different. I think it will shoot well but on the third shot the damn scope got me on the bridge of the nose. OUCH. In all my years of shooting this it the first time I got bit by a scope. Bleed like heck. Your never to old to learn. I will be looking for a scope with more eye relief or a set of good open sights. I was suprised though at how good those 25 cent sights work. You are not going to do any real fine shooting with them but they are easier to use than I thought they might be. I may have to get a Aetec 2x8 scope they have 5 inches of eye relief. Or even a EER scope. I will be loading some reduced loads for the 45-70 soon. I have one box of 405 grain cast bullets to try out.
shot placement is everything.

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Finally got out to shoot
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 08:23:24 PM »
Yeah, spring is in the air. I originally got my handi with a wood stock but it was split at the front of the buttstock so i had my dealer send it back and get a synthetic stock installed. The synthetic allowed me to fill the butt with #12 lead shot in a plastic bag to tame recoil. I think the lead is too heavy, but recoil at the bench is nice now. maybe steel #9 would be a good compromise. I got a williams peep sight after I got tired of having a scope on it. Really like it. It takes interchangable peeps for target or hunting or no peep at all for a faster sight picture. I get the same groups with the peep as I did with the scope (1-4x). No bleeding! I highly recommend the synthetic stock-the handi is not going to win any beauty contests anyway.
With your choice of calibers, give the peep sight some consideration.
Think spring!

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
Finally got out to shoot
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 05:58:57 AM »
Hey James B; I know what you mean about the 45 70 . I got into the position I use with my 300 Wby. and the thing still nearly got me.
If you find any good deals on the Atec scope let me know. I have a bruise on my shoulder now, the first I can ever remember, after about 28 rds. of the Win. 300 gr. stuff.     Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
Finally got out to shoot
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 06:35:42 AM »
I was shooting the WW factory stuff as well. Even my 416 Rem Mag didn't get me with the scope. Midway USA has the Aetec for 129.00 thats the cheapest I have seen. I have a Synthetic stock on my 223. Maybe I will have to switch stocks. I took the scope back off last night and will try the sights. Did you have to change the front sight with your rear peep? If so whioch sight did you get? Thanks.
shot placement is everything.

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Finally got out to shoot
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 06:54:18 AM »
I did switch to a NEF front sight for a 22 hornet. This is thier tallest front sight. Not sure if I needed to. I ordered them through Brownells.