Author Topic: Picked up a .357 maximum today  (Read 959 times)

Offline vick

• Trade Count: (0)
Picked up a .357 maximum today
« on: March 22, 2004, 01:26:16 PM »
Well I went today to examine the rifles.  With all the help from you guys (see earlier post, thanks), I decided to check out the maximum first.  It was a NIB H&R .357 maximum.  It has laminated, checkered stocks.  The guy said it had been in the back room for quite a while so I got it for $175 OTD.  I have to say that I love the way this rifle shoots.  I took a little bit of everything I had to the range.  It really didn't like some of the lighter .38 loads, but 125grn 357 loads and 158 .38 rnl loads were going into the same hole until the barrel heated up.  I was only shooting at @35 yards, but the results were definately promising.  I think this could make a perfect woods rifle for early fall and late deer season.  heavy mag or max loads for deer, and keep a few 158grn .38's in my pocket for small game.  Thanks for talking me into the max.
Fear is but a stepping stone on the foot path to Glory.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 02:18:34 PM »
Sounds like you got a sweet deal to me. $175 is a great price and shoots well to. I really like my .38 cal handis, today I just recieved some new brass to try in my Mag and Max I ordered some DW 360 brass, I loaded 10 up to try maybe tommarow and they seat well in my Magnum and the Max to. Nothing like haveing a new piece to try out. Good luck  8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 02:42:51 PM »
vick, I'm happy for you, I still lose sleep over the used .357 Max I passed up for $150.00 plus tax, of course it was gone when I returned for it. You, you lucky rascal,  you find one  NIB for $175.00 OTD. Well I guess we all have good days once in a while, enjoy yours and be happy!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline vick

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 02:47:55 PM »
Thanks for the well wishes.  I know what you mean about good days and bad.  I have a hard time calling myself lucky.  I've found some at great prices, and sold some at great prices.  HOWEVER, i have fallen to the "it's way too much but I want it" disease, as well as the "I really want the other one so I'll sell this one dirt cheap" disease enough to even it out.  At least that's what I keep telling myself:)

Offline marv

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 06:09:22 PM »
:D  Good luck with your new toy, I love my 357 Mag i bought last
summer, then reamed out to max.I think 158 Gr. in Mag with ample dose
of H-110 will take a deer if pill is placed right. Marv

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 07:31:57 PM »
MSP,
Do not lose any sleep over the 357 Max at Kittery Trading Post. As soon as you mentioned it was available, I jumped on it. If you ever make it to Montana you're welcome to take her to the range or hunting. It has a Nikon 1.5x4.5, but I've haven't had a chance to shoot her yet. I did get a chance to lay in 500 rounds of new R-P brass, so someday I can work up a load.
mt
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 02:16:17 AM »
:D , mt3030, I am so happy :-D  :-D  :-D  to find out you have it and it's still in the "family"!  It makes me feel much better that someone here can have it and enjoy it, better that than a stranger. And thank you for your generous offer, don't be surprised if in a couple of years you get a call from me wanting to stop and say hello while passing through. To let you know I have a receiver at H&R right now being fitted with a .357 Mag barrel. There are still a few left if anyone is interested but they will be gone very soon!!. I do want to tell you thanks for letting me know you have it, I can stop obsessing about it now. It even makes me feel good to know that because of something I posted here someone (you) got a nice gun!!...<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline vick

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 05:02:58 AM »
Funny how you don't tend to lament over a special rifle when you know a friend got it.  I had a 6.5 Swede that had been sporterized, not by me, but done perfectly.  This rifle would put rounds into .75" all day long if I did my part.  I would not have sold that rifle for $1000.  One of my friends got hard up one year and had to sell his deer rifle, he only owned one.  Come deer season I loaned him the Swede, and all I heard about was how great a rfle it was, as if I didn't know.  Anyway, come Christmas I wound up giving him the rifle.  The look on his face was priceless.  Now every year since he has hunted with that rifle, and still loves it to this day.  Now that his first son has arrived, he tells me about how his son will learn to shoot with that rifle.  Like I said, I wouldn't have sold it for $1000, but it turns out to be one of the best gifts I've ever given.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 06:53:27 AM »
Nice story vick and my hat is off to you, a real friend to a friend in need. I am sure his son will learn to love and shoot that 6.5 Swede partly because it's "dad's gun. Some day years from now when he owns it he may teach his son or daughter to shoot with it and tell the story of how, many years ago a good friend gave "Grandpa" the rifle as a christmas gift when he needed it most. Now I see why you were the one to get the great deal on th NIB .357 Max, you earned it through acts and you deserved it....<><.... :grin:

Offline vick

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 07:53:22 AM »
Thank you for the kind words.  I thank the Good lord that I'm in a position to be able to repay a few favors now and then.  Maybe not to the same people he put in my path to help me along, but to some one else who needs the help like I did at some point.  I don't think of it as doing any feat of kindness, just treating others the way I've been treated.