Author Topic: Burris Fullfield II vs. Bushnell Elite 3200  (Read 1999 times)

Offline huntsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Burris Fullfield II vs. Bushnell Elite 3200
« on: February 22, 2004, 06:18:47 AM »
I am narrowing down my scope search and these two seem to be the best candidates. I need a reliable scope that doesn't cost over $200.

Any opinions or information on these two or similar scopes would be appreciated. Don't bother talking about Tasco, BSA, or Simmons scopes. Those three brand names have already earned my "dubious distinction for life" award.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline double tap

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 03:45:08 PM »
Don't have experience with the Fullfield, but...

I bought an Elite 3200 3-9x40 last year and could not be happier with my choice (well, maybe an Elite 4200!).  The scope is clear, tracks very well, has ample eye relief for my uses (I'm shooting a .300 wsm), and has Rainguard.  I have used it in a driving rain, which is prety common here during hunting season, and was still able to clearly see the mountain goat that will soon adorn my wall.

For the price you are looking at, I don't think you can go wrong with an Elite 3200.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 05:48:33 AM »
2tap:

Thanks for the input. I just bought a barely used Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9x40mm w/ rainguard, a set of flip-up lens covers, and a pair of stainless steel Ruger rings for $130. Can't wait to get it, mount it, and take it to the range for a run-through.  8)
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline oldelkhunter

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 10:26:01 AM »
These scopes are pretty darn close in performance...I have never dealt with bushnells customer service but if they had no customer service it would be better then Burris customer service. :cry:
"Be thankful that we're not getting all the government that we're paying for." Will Rogers

Offline Zachary

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 07:09:09 AM »
For a $200 scope, you just can't be an Elite 3200....you just can't!  

I have an Elite 3200 1.5x-4.5x-32mm on my .375H&H Mag.  Guess what?  Optics are great, tracking is excellent, and the gun shoots groups under 1/4" at 100 yards.  And all this with an under $200 scope.

Get the Elite 3200 and don't look back (but look forward to a 4200! :) )

Zachary

Offline contender hunter

• Avid Poster
BURRIS - ELITE 3200
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 01:14:46 PM »
OLDELKHUNTER WHAT WAS THE STORY WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE AT BURRIS , it might help me make my decision on which one to go with also, I was ready to go with burris as I never had any trouble with them , I haven't owned any elite 3200.
pa hunter

Offline oldelkhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 06:57:26 AM »
Contender Hunter..I bought a new Fullfield II 3-9x40 and mounted it on a custom 300 win Mag Model 70 I owned. I put about 75 shots thru it and a gun that was a consistent 1" and slightly under gun with good handloads. It started shooting 5" groups. I used factory ammo which shot in the 1 1/2 -2" range and it shot basketball size groups at 100 yards. Took the gun apart tightened the bolts in correct sequence cleaned the gun thoroughly and replaced the Burris with an Old Leupold I had hanging around. It then started behaving again. Sent the Burris scope to their repair center ..get an acknowledgment letter saying it was being repaired at their expense and get it back 1 month later. For some reason the scope felt real heavy and I looked thru it and lo and behold there is a bubble about 1/2" in diameter moving around in there. Called them on the phone immediately  and  they told me to send it back and they apologized profusely. Came back from Burris about 3 weeks later and when I looked thru it I noticed  screwheads (that were marred by the way) on a collar inside the ocular. Called up Customer Service and they again apologized profusely saying that the cover was not installed when Scope was repaired. Finally on the 3rd try it came back. I was supposed to get my shipping reimbursed for trys #2 and # 3 and to this date have not recieved it.   I will not buy another one of their scopes and would rather resort to iron sights if they were the only scope builder in the world. I have had six of them and 3 of the six had problems most  as a result of some carelesness at the factory and others because of design problems. A signature power ring had to be replaced because  I would need a pipe wrench to turn the power ring otherwise and  a 2.5x10 had to go back twice because it did what the 3-9x40 fullfield did. Believe it or not after going thru this all I purchased a 3.5-10x50 scope in January for a hunt in Alabama. No problems with this scope at all ..only faults were the windage adjustments or should I say clear markings on such.  Contender Hunter draw your own conclusions and ask yourself if you feel lucky if you decided on the Burris. :lol:
"Be thankful that we're not getting all the government that we're paying for." Will Rogers

Offline contender hunter

• Avid Poster
burris fullfield II vs. elite 3200
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 09:46:40 AM »
OLDELKHUNTER not a pretty story, how many times does it take to get it right !!! have you had any dealings with bushnell ???
pa hunter

Offline oldelkhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 03:20:27 PM »
Contender Hunter...I couldn't make up a story like that if I wanted to and you wonder how many Burris employees it takes to repair a scope. I semi-trust the company but they are no Leupold that is for sure. I have had a couple of bushnells and a bausch and lomb 4x scope which was nice and a Elite spotting scope which is an excellent although now discontinued product. If it were not a hard kicking magnum I have no problem with the 3200 or 4200 scopes although the 4200's are a little generous in dimensions and also short on eye relief. They seem to have a very good warranty and I have heard only good not bad about them. ANother company you may want to consider is Sightron and concentrate on their SII and SIII scopes. You can get them on Ebay for a pretty good price and they have compactness, great eye relief and good optics but the glass is probably not as good as Bushnell 3200 and 4200 glass.