Author Topic: Primer Problem  (Read 469 times)

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
Primer Problem
« on: November 16, 2023, 05:27:24 AM »
Any of you fellows ever had a problem with CCI primers not going off, some times it  might take 2 or more  hammer strikes to go off. I have cleaned every thing very good and used some good oil. Have not had any problems with Winchester primers. This is for the Thompson contender G2 rifle. 7X30 Waters barrel. Seems like I read somewhere that the CCI primers are very hard.

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
Re: Primer Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 06:04:51 AM »
CCI Primers are the hardest to ignite as I understand it.  I use them almost exclusively for my handgun loads these days, and the only time I've ever had them not ignite is in my S&W 629 Classic that has had the trigger lightened a bit.  If you anticipate the recoil (by, say, pushing into the gun when pulling the trigger), it won't set off the primer.  But otherwise, I've not seen any issues.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 06:12:13 AM »
Nary a problem yet with the CCI
primers I've used.
That said, they're not a recent
batch. I have some more modern
large pistol that I haven't broke
into yet, but won't know anything
about those for a while

Only thing I could think to suggest
would be to prime some known
good empties and see if they pop

Good Luck
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline orerancher

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 07:20:58 AM »
I've had more problems with remington primers, then any other  brand...

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 07:39:25 AM »
ccis have a harder cup then any other std primers. it really shows with DA sixguns. i had to quit using the small pistol standard primers for ppc shooting. contenders are another gun that tends to have week primer strikes so id bet your seeing it with your gun.
blue lives matter

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 09:35:07 AM »
I have cleaned the firing pin and used a very good light oil. I read on the internet with fellows that are having the same problem with CCI primers the dent in the primer looks to be deep but does not go off sometimes recook and it fires but not always. Some have said that the primer is not seated and the first strike seats the prime then the second try it fires.  So I rechecked all the loads the primers are set still no fire. I loaded up a few rounds with Winchester and they all fire and the strike dent looks the same as well as depth in the CCI and Winchester. So at this point I think the problem is the primers and not the gun. I have used this same frame in pistol format with a 410 barrel to shoot snakes in my chicken house and no misfires.

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2023, 10:47:42 AM »
Never had a single issue with a CCI primer in the hundreds of thousands of rounds I've loaded using them. CCI is my preferred primer for all of my shotgun, rifle and handgun loading.

I've read online from internet experts that CCI primers are hard and give trouble igniting. I personally have loaded hundreds of thousands of them without issue so don't place much value on such issues. Reloading editors in major magazines aren't reporting such issues.

Now I make no assumptions in  your particular case. I don't try to diagnosis problems that I can't hold in my hand and experiment with.

BUT my first check if I were able to lay hands on would be to check to see if you are fully seating primers. I think most reported primer issues where they don't fire is that of the primer not being properly seated.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2023, 11:11:08 AM »
Sounds like either a light hammer spring, or a short firing pin. I've never had an issue cci primers. I'd be for loading those primers, or possibly the rounds in another gun and see what happens.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Dixie-Dude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2023, 11:35:02 AM »
I've never had a problem with CCI's either.  I like them in guns that have free floating firing pins on semi-automatics to keep from firing when loading the shells.  Levers, bolts and revolvers do not slam the shells in their chambers like semi-automatics do. 
Opelika Portal

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2023, 12:43:25 AM »
well all i can say is ive experienced it personaly. the only guns that its occurred for me is DA revolvers and 90 % of the time in smiths. i will wager a 100 bucks with anyone here that deacons problem will vanish if he changes to federal primers. nothing wrong with ccis i probably use the more than any other but they just need a hard hit to go off and guns like contenders and smiths, especially if they had action work done and shot DA just dont have enough for a 100 percent reliability.  ive also saw it with my own eyes in contenders. back when i was into contenders lots of people bought and installed heavier hammer springs because of it. especially for the old frames with the skeletonized hammers that they quit making and replaced with a heavier solid hammer
blue lives matter

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2023, 01:30:21 AM »
A.)  Check the cases.

A.1.)  Could be the way in which the primer pocket was prepared.  Cutting "just a tiny bit" too deeply, or the accumulation of cutting over many uses of the same case, and the primer takes two (or more) strikes to go off.  Segregate and destroy those cases (if any). 

A.2.)  Double check the depth of the primer pockets.  Use a stiff bristle brush to clear out the crud, and ONLY "cut into" a primer pocket one time, the very first time, on new brass, for uniformity.   Assure that the cutter is not set too deeply, and the cut is not off axis.  Segregate and destroy those cases that did not fire.

A.3.)  Annealed cases, with unintended soft primer cups, tend to resist the force necessary to set the primer off.  Segregate and destroy those cases (if any)...

A.4.)  When in doubt, start with NEW brass.

B.)  Check the mechanism.

B.1.)  Investigate the firing pin (mic it for certainty).

B.2.)  Check firing pin free travel.

B.3.)  Use oil sparingly.  Graphite is your friend.  Powder residue tends to accumulate there.

B.4.)  When in doubt, purchase and install a new firing pin and spring.  They are, relatively speaking, cheap insurance...

B.5.)  IDK how to check the hammer and its spring for firing energy and tension, but these could be suspect.

B.6.)  Considering there are quite a few machined pins in the mechanism.  Pins wear, and could be suspect if the gun has been fired A LOT.

C.)  Change primer Mfg.

C.1.)  Primers, though rising in cost, are one of the least cost consumables, but the most important element in the BANG.

C.2.)  As a last resort, and in the future, move on to a different Mfg.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2023, 01:45:27 AM »
  As a last resort, and in the future, move on to a different Mfg.

not always possible today
blue lives matter