Author Topic: 30-06 Springfield Versus 308 Winchester  (Read 1555 times)

Offline neckisred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: 30-06 Springfield Versus 308 Winchester
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2023, 12:31:16 AM »
I find the AR's a little awkward when carrying them deer hunting, I rarely hunt with mine. However the simplicity of the design, accuracy and parts cost/availability really does make the AR an excellent tool for just about any application I need a rifle for. 

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2023, 12:58:23 AM »
I cured the problem you're talking about with side mounts for sling swivels. Also a proper sling.it carries hands free on my chest or my back, but is quick, and comfortable.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett
Informative Informative x 1 View List

Offline neckisred

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2023, 02:04:24 AM »
I cured the problem you're talking about with side mounts for sling swivels. Also a proper sling.it carries hands free on my chest or my back, but is quick, and comfortable.
Thanks!!!!!! I suspect that is most of my problem. I hunt some pretty thick stuff and prefer carrying my gun when going through such stuff. Certainly worth a try for a minimal investment.

Offline Dee

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2023, 02:26:16 AM »
My sling is a "tactical sling" and can be pulled tight to rest alongside the left side of the receiver. The AR-15 with its very short configuration is an easy carry with some reach on it.
We have some big mule deer here in West Texas, but they are no match for a 55 grain soft point. Mine goes on the dash of my ranch truck almost every morning.

Offline neckisred

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2023, 03:08:47 AM »
My sling is a "tactical sling" and can be pulled tight to rest alongside the left side of the receiver. The AR-15 with its very short configuration is an easy carry with some reach on it.
We have some big mule deer here in West Texas, but they are no match for a 55 grain soft point. Mine goes on the dash of my ranch truck almost every morning.
I shoot Hornady 55 grain soft points in all my .22 caliber centerfires. They run about .10 each when you buy 1000. Killed more whitetails with that bullet than I care to mention. Of course we all know thats not enough bullet and I'm being an irresponsible bragger for using it.........

Offline Dee

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2023, 01:03:15 PM »
I shoot Hornady 55 grain soft points in all my .22 caliber centerfires. They run about .10 each when you buy 1000. Killed more whitetails with that bullet than I care to mention. Of course we all know thats not enough bullet and I'm being an irresponsible bragger for using it.........

I buy'em by the 1,000 also. They work very well on 240 pound mule deer to.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2023, 01:10:54 AM »
other then doing crop damage shooting up here where i hunt in deer season a 100 yard shot is rare. most shots are under 75. my favorite ar for hunting those conditions is a 300 bo 8.5 inch braced pistol. i load it with barnes 110tssx bullets. with a one point sling its easy to carry, is very fast to shouder and shoot. ive got a 3x burris prism sight that works like an acog. its near as fast as a red dot with the reticule lit or precise as a 3x scope if you need it. it as fast to use as a holstered hand gun, very accurate and every time ive used that bullet in my 3 bo ars its done massive internal damage and unlike the 556 always exits and always leaves a blood trail an idiot could follow. but that said ive never had a deer run so far i didnt see it drop. longest kill was 205 yards with my 16" gun doing crop damage. it dropped at the shot and that same day i shot 2 more. one drt and one made it 50 yards and dropped. but for crop damage i prefer my 6.5 grendel. ive killed a number of deer out at 300 yards. its basically 250 sav power in an ar. I also have a 300hmr that hasnt killed anything yet. i built it to use last season and surgery kept me from going crop damage shooting. i have loads for it with a 130 ballistic tip that shoot moa and run right at 2500fps. it should easily kill cleanly out to 300 yards.  but i doubt it will take the top spot from my grendel
blue lives matter

Offline darkgael

• Trade Count: (1)
  • The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2023, 02:36:16 AM »
   I prefer wood and a well fitted stock.
Agreed. That would be my Garand or this Rizzini Express O/U:

I own three ARs. Despite my affection for the ‘06 and polished wood, I shoot the AR better. This was shot at 100 yards, prone, with iron sights. Certainly not every day….getting up and down at my age is a chore.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2023, 02:49:05 AM »
nothing i shoot better off hand then a 16in ar with a good aftermarket trigger.
   I prefer wood and a well fitted stock.
Agreed. That would be my Garand or this Rizzini O/U:

I own three ARs. Despite my affection for the ‘06 and polished wood, I shoot the AR better. This was shot at 100 yards, prone, with iron sights. Certainly not every day….getting up and down at my age is a chore.
blue lives matter