Author Topic: 35 rem contender for whitetail  (Read 1288 times)

Offline ghostZ

• Trade Count: (0)
35 rem contender for whitetail
« on: September 11, 2003, 07:06:28 AM »
I am in the market for a TC contender and wondered if the 35 rem would be a good round for deer.  I don't see shots much over 100 yards...maybe 120 tops.  And I don't reload.
Thanks

Edit I don't know if this should be in the handgun section...if you think it should can you please move it.

Offline jlk

35 rem. for deer
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 09:21:43 AM »
:D

I had a 14" 35 Rem. and it worked great on deer and hogs.

John
One Well Placed Shot Is All It Takes

Offline ghostZ

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 09:34:39 AM »
How was the recoil?  Will off the shelf loads be fine?

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 10:49:16 AM »
My buddy had one with a muzzlebreak.  He said the recoil was like that of shooting spitwads out of a straw  :lol:  :lol: Now I know it isnt quite that low of recoil, but it was an excellent pistol for him until he got Sako Fever.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Greybeard

• Administrator
  • A Real Regular
    • Graybeard Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2003, 11:32:40 AM »
The .35 Rem. is an absolutely outstanding deer/hog hunting round. I use ONLY 200 grain bullets. Anyone's RNJSPs will do fine for all game for which it is suitable. They are made specifically for the .35 Rem. and perform great in it. Due to the high expansion ratio of this small cased mid bore round it doesn't lose much in a 14" barrel to the normal 20" barrels of lever action rifles so performance on game is basically the same with either.

Recoil to me in a TC is rated as mild. Hardly more than the 7-30 to me. I see no need for a brake with this round.

For the distances you mention it will do all you ask of it.

Since your question was about deer hunting with it here is as good as any as would handgun hunting or the TC handgun forum either.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises

Offline Lee D.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2003, 01:39:17 PM »
The 35 will kill deer but I have through experience felt the it was a marginal round.  If you are buying a new barrel or gun why not get something better?  Again, I don't want to debate the fact thet the 35 will work but why would anyone buy one when there are so many better cartridges out there.  Note: he said he was going to use factory amunition!!
somewhere betwixt a baulk and a breakdown

Offline Bob/FLA

• Avid Poster
35 Rem
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2003, 03:13:07 PM »
The 35 Rem is a hammer at the ranges you noted.  I use a 180gr round for elk with no issues.  The 200 gr RN also works extremely well.  It will do the job, unless of course you just have to have a nuclear tipped belted magnum for those jurasic deer :) There are folks that call a 45-70 marginal for deer.  I've yet to meet one that didn't fall to the good ol' rounds.  Mine shoots 9/16 @ 100 yds and I like the mild recoil.

Good hunting!
Thanks!
Bob

Visit our website at:
www.nativeamericanarchery.com
Or contact us at:
naa@nativeamericanarchery.com

Offline wheelgun

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2003, 04:37:51 AM »
I shot a 8 point last year with my 35rem 14".Deer was 112 long steps away and fell in his tracks.I was using 200 gr Sierra with Varget powder.

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2003, 10:35:49 AM »
Excellent choice. Used one successfully for many years. Decided to step up to 308 when the encores came out. Big mistake. The 308, at least mine, has never given me the satisfactory performance the 35 Rem did. I got luck cause the one I had would shoot 100 yd groups under a quarter with just about any load I fed it except light, cast bullets.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline BH

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2003, 03:05:50 PM »
GhostZ,

I think the .35 would make a great round for the range you plan to use it.  There is a lot to be said about light recoil and manageable noise levels and the .35 has both those advantages compaired to some of the big bores and hotter rifle cartriges.  I've shot the .35 but use a 14" Lone Eagle in 357 Max (our state requires the use of straight walled pistol ammo) for deer hunting.   I have been extremely satisfied with its peformance out to about 150 yards.  I Load my own ammo but you can buy factory ammo for the .35 that will give you a couple hundred fps faster than I can load my .357 Max given the same bullet size.  I have settled on the 180gr SSP from Hornady as my favorite bullet but have tried a number of 180 & 200gr rifle bullets successfully.  The only question you might want to investigate is what factory ammo selections are available today.  I reload for all my centerfires so haven't paid much attention to factory offerings for a number of years.

Bob
It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

Offline Crayfish

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2003, 05:19:15 AM »
I haven't shot any deer with it yet, but I've had sub-1" groups consistently out of my 35Rem with Federal 200gr factory loads.  These clocked at 1970fps out of my 14" barrel, which should give you a fine 150yd deer getter.  I'm going to be using handloaded 180gr Speer FN if I hunt with my 35R this year.  They are going a little over 2100fps and should be fine out to 175yds or so (due to the higher velocity).

Good luck, and don't let ANYONE tell you that the 35Rem isn't suitable for deer hunting.  It is at least as good as anything else you can get in a Contender ... especially one's that have factory ammo available!

... Crayfish

Offline Skipper

• Contributor
    • http://www.Skipsoutdoors.com
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2003, 12:37:04 PM »
I use a 35 Rem Marlin Lever in the brush.  Its not much over 100 yards, but in tight brush, its a good round for deer.

Skipper
There's Fishing and then there's Bass Fishing 
Its kinda like the difference between Sandlot Baseball and Playing on the Team. 
The difference is Practice

www.Skipsoutdoors.com

Offline 5th Group

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2004, 10:39:36 AM »
Quote from: Lee D.

The 35 will kill deer but I have through experience felt the it was a marginal round.  If you are buying a new barrel or gun why not get something better?  Again, I don't want to debate the fact thet the 35 will work but why would anyone buy one when there are so many better cartridges out there.  Note: he said he was going to use factory amunition!!

No debate needed...just a republican rebuttal...

Why not...better cartridges...yes and a lot of worst ones...funny thing is the 35 Rem continues to kill deer hog black bear elk moose and other game year after year...I've shot a Marlin 35 Rem for 30 years and will continue...will it shoot deer at 200 to 300 yards not really that's not what's it's designed for...I have killed a deer at 168 yards...and that's a long shot too me...35 to 125 yards are my average shots...and at that range nothing walks away...hot handoaded 35 Rems or BullaloBore's 220 grain Heavy 35 Rems will handle anything that'll cross your path if you do your job behind the trigger...
There's guns for long range open country and guns for brush and timber hunting...leveractions are not for open country and silly high powered magnums are funny in the brush...the hunter has a hard time swinging up that long 24-26 inch barrel and trying to find the game in his scope...lol...leveraction carbine swings up fast and sights faster with a peep...love hunting with the high tech guys in the brush...alot of them go home tried and empty handied...so I'll continue with my old out of date Marlin 35 Rem for life is good...

De Oppresso Liber

5th Group

Offline RonF

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2004, 01:49:17 AM »
Every deer I've ever shot with my Contender in .35 Rem has dropped in its tracks.  I can't say that about any other caliber I've ever used, and there have been several.  If you don't reload, the factory 200 gr. load works fine.  Don't let anyone tell you otherwise for the ranges you plan on using it for.  Mine is even a tack driver with 125 grain jacketed pistol bullets for off-season fun.

RonF