Author Topic: more calibers?  (Read 924 times)

Offline turfman

• Trade Count: (0)
more calibers?
« on: March 26, 2004, 06:43:30 AM »
I'm new to the H&R circle. I bought a handi rifle in 45/70 last spring.
For the money I don't think you can beat these rifles; my question is though.... Considering the prices for the various rifles; couldn't H&R chamber some more calibers.

What I mean is, I have no need for a 9.3x62, but if they chambered for it I would part with $200 instead of maybe $450 from another mfg.

Maybe the actions can't handle the pressures of the big ones or maybe shooting them in a 7lb rifle is the reason.

I think maybe they are missing the boat. I have a T/C contender with 16 cals. Even though I see they aren't switch barrels, the price of a new rifle is about the same as a new barrel for my tc .

If it could be done; what calibers would you guys like to see.

turfman

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
more calibers?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 07:30:06 AM »
:D , turfman, they currently have quite a few good calibers in production,  whats wrong with one of the many barrels/calibers available now?  The rimfires are fun, .17 HMR. .22 LR, .22 Mag and the .17 Mach 2 (HS) coming soon. All the different configurations of shotgun barrels in 10, 12, 16, 20, 28 and .410!!!  What gauge do you want that is not offered? Now to get into the centerfires, wow!!! Many to choose from. The 45-70 you have, .22 Hornet, .223, .243, 7mmx08, .357 Mag (still available but you have to hurry!!), 30-30, .280, .270, 30/06, 38-55, .450 Marlin, 25-06, .410/.45 Colt. Stainless, blued steel, brushed nickel finish, wood stocks, synthetic stocks, camo laminated stocks, cinnamon laminated stocks, straight stocks, pistol grip stocks, "survivor stocks", "Tamer" stocks, Buffalo Classic and Target Model american black walnut stocks and forearms, recoil pads, no recoil pads, scope rails, open sights, youth stocks, adult stocks. Heavy barrel slug guns that shoot better than most rifles. I know we all like to dream about other calibers but with just the 45/70 barrel so far (and a GREAT barrel to have I might add, my addiction started with one) you have many to choose from, have fun, at these prices most can afford at least a couple and a barrel or 2 extra if we spread out the purchases and try to economize on other things...(I just got a .35 Whelen barrel and a .280 Barrel from other members here, a nice place to look for things you don't have and others have decided they don't need, we can all trade or swap, it's very enjoyable, but addictive!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline turfman

more calibers?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 08:04:46 AM »
MSP ret.

I agree but. I guess what I'm talking about is non vanilla ice cream calibers. I pretty much went over to ruger for my hunting rifles over the last couple of years. I think the main reason is because they seem not afraid to chamber less popular cartridges cartridges in some of their rifles. My brother has a # 1 in 30 40 krag. I have or have access to most of the calibers H&R offers. As stated before I don't need any rifle, but if I could get a .17rem, .221rem,the wwsm's,250 savage, 25/20, 25/35, 6.5 swede,7x64, 300 savage, maybe some weatherbys....... Ya know what I mean.

I guess I'm just wanting to much.

Also I see your post as saying you guys trade. can you switch barrels readily. Because if so; that is exactly what I'm talking about.

turfman

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
more calibers?
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 11:16:01 AM »
Even though I see they aren't switch barrels

Tuffman
If you mean from one rifle to anothr you are correct.  I assume you DO know that once you send the rifle back to the factory, they fit the barrels, from then on you can switch from one barrel to another even easier than the TC.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline turfman

more calibers?
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 01:50:10 AM »
Handirifle.

Honestly, I did not know. I just bought it because it was a 45/70 for $200 and a Ruger #1 was $650, so I figured I'd give it a shot. To my suprise, It shot and carried well. I have always seen them before but never paid them much mind. Now that you have set me straight, this rig looks very appealing to me.

So to take my limited knowledge on the subject one step further to sheer stupidity... Why doesn't somebody do aftermarket barrels then. If the loyal fans of these rifles can't get their attention; you'd think some barrel maker would jump on in.

Again, please pardon my ignorance on the subject. I guess I need to be educated on the set up.

turfman

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
more calibers?
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2004, 02:37:01 AM »
turfman there are a couple of gunsmiths out there that will make you many different barrels and calibers for your Handi but the cost is high. Probably almost equal to or more than the cost of a barrel for an Encore. Some "stub" out the barrels, some rechamber, some rebore, it's all out there if you want to pay for it.....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
more calibers?
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2004, 08:45:41 AM »
Check out martscustoms.com or BellumTCs.com look for david white on Bellums site and go to the firearms section scroll to NEF/H&R and see if they can scratch you itch for ya. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired