Author Topic: Dixie Remington Shooters Revolver  (Read 772 times)

Offline R.M.

• Trade Count: (0)
Dixie Remington Shooters Revolver
« on: March 23, 2004, 10:26:54 AM »
Is anybody using the Dixie Remington Shooters Revolver, the one with the progressive rifling? It's made
          by Pietta, and I've had a bad experience with Pietta, so I'm wondering if this gun is made any better than
          the $99.00 Colts from Cabelas. It should be for the price of it.
I'm wondering if the steel is any better in the higher priced guns.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
          R.M.
The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline simonkenton

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 10:44:59 AM »
I can't tell you about that gun, but I like Pietta.
Aim small don't miss.

Offline Shorty

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 02:38:59 PM »
I don't see how progressive rifling could be worth any added cost in a revolver.  Progressive rifling is an innovation of Enfield for use in rifles using Minie bullets.  The rifling grooves are deeper at the breech and become shallower toward the muzzle.  This makes a bullet, that started out smaller than bore diameter, swage down as it travels down the barrel to seal any gas cutting that occurred at initial ignition.  Since revolver bullets are already at bore size, there can be no advantage.
Sometimes, progressive rifling is confused with gain-twist rifling.  The latter refers to rifling that becomes "faster" toward the muzzle.  That was tried many times in the past , figuring that the bullet would start out "easy" and then gain RPM's as its speed picked up.  It never proved to be any advantage.

Offline Flint

progressive
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 03:04:06 PM »
Shorty, the progressive rifling used in revolvers, like this Pietta, and the original Colts and Remingtons was a progressive twist, not diameter,  It starts out straight, then accelerates the twist toward the muzzle.  This was to prevent stripping a soft lead ball in the bore.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Shorty

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 02:15:51 PM »
Flint,
Very well, then.  But does it actually work?  As I said, it was tried at times in the past and was always abandoned.   :?

Offline Flint

progressive
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 04:41:02 PM »
The progressive twist worked very well, but it is more expensive to do, and does not have as much value in more modern cartridge loaded harder alloy bullets, and certainly not with jacketed bullets.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline John Traveler

progressive twist rifling
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 02:36:11 AM »
Progressive twist rifling is still used in medium caliber and large caliber cannon.

The progressive twist is needed to prevent projectile acceleration/inertia forces from stripping driving bands off the rifling.

John
John Traveler