Author Topic: S&W ACP Revolvers  (Read 509 times)

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
S&W ACP Revolvers
« on: September 14, 2023, 12:28:25 AM »
*       Apr 25, 2021

When the US was debating getting involved in WWI, S&W realized the military would need more pistols than Colt could supply. The engineers at S&W were tasked with modifying the N frame to handle the 45 ACP cartridge. Chambering and firing a rimless cartridge was not a problem. Getting the fired case out of the cylinder was the issue. S&W came up with two solutions, metal clips that held 3 or 6 cartridges in place and gave the ejector star something to eject. The military opted for the 1/2 moon clip as it was simpler and allowed for more compact storage of loaded ammunition.

The Model 1917 Hand Ejector

https://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=305206.0;attach=97450;image

After the war, S&W continued to build the same revolver and it differs from the Military very only by the inclusion of the S&W logo.

A Commercial 1917

https://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=305206.0;attach=97450;image

A few of the 1917s were altered to include target sights but there was no real “target model” in 45 ACP until 1950.

Prior to WWII, the Brazilian Government placed an order for the Model 1917 revolver. These were built with the commercial model.

A Brazilian 1917 with the barrel shortened to 4”.

https://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=305206.0;attach=97454;image

After WWII ended many gunsmiths offered conversion of the standard S&W “long action” to a shorter trigger pull. It was popular enough that S&W came out with their own version in 1950 and upgraded all of their lines.

Here is a Model 1950 Hand Ejector 45 ACP Army. The differences noticeable are hammer shape, no visible stud under the thumb piece and much better sights. The rear sight is a squared notch and the front sight is 1/8” wide. The front sight on this particular revolver has been modified by a previous owner who used the piece.

https://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=305206.0;attach=97456;image

Also in 1950, S&W introduced the first of the Target grade 45 ACP revolvers, the Model 1950. This included the short action, a reinforced ejector lug and target sights.

https://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=305206.0;attach=97458;image

In 1955, S&W “improved” the 1950 Target Model with the addition of a heavier barrel.

https://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=305206.0;attach=97460;image

In 1957, S&W started using numbers to designate the different models. The 1950 Army became the Model 22, the 1950 Target became the Model 26 and the 1955 Target became the Model 25. The Model 26 was discontinued in 1961. The Model 22 was discontinued in 1966 and the Model 25-2 was discontinued in 1991.

In 2005, S&W introduced the Model 22-4, Thunder Ranch Revolver. This is a 4” version of the 1950 Army Model but added a reinforced ejector lug.

https://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=305206.0;attach=97462;image

To be continued in the next post.

Kevin
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous
Like Like x 2 View List

Offline StrawHat

• A Real Regular
Re: S&W ACP Revolvers
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 01:00:47 AM »
(continued from Post 1)

Two years later, 2007, a standard version was also included in the line up. The only difference was the Thunder Ranch Model used TRR to start the serial number and the standard version did not. The standard version was available blued, nickel plated or with a casehardened frame.

https://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=305206.0;attach=97466;image

Also available in 2007 was the “Classic Model of 1917” which in reality was just a reintroduction of the Model 1950 Army. It too could be blued, nickle plated, or case hardened.

https://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=305206.0;attach=97468;image

There were also various engineering changes (direction of threads, etc) but I tried to highlight the major differences.

S&W also introduced the 625 series of revolvers in stainless steel but the OP did not ask about those.
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

Like Like x 1 View List

Offline StrawHat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 01:07:18 AM »
Not sure why the images are not appearing in the text.  I copied and pasted them and if you click on the link they do show up.

Kevin

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 02:52:45 AM »
ive owned 3 different smith 25's i love moon clip guns. years of ppc with my clark model 10 cut for clips made me darned near as fast with one as a 1911
blue lives matter

Offline StrawHat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2023, 01:18:29 AM »
ive owned 3 different smith 25's i love moon clip guns. years of ppc with my clark model 10 cut for clips made me darned near as fast with one as a 1911

I also competed in PPC.  I shot at Multi Lakes, Flint, and several other matches. My revolver was a Davis reworked Model 64. 

Yours was cut for moonclips?  An interesting modification.  When did you compete?  I wonder if we were at the same matches?

Kevin

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2023, 03:01:23 AM »
only in the UP mid 90s to mid 2000s yes it was a clark gun i bought used and tk custom cut it for clips and sold the clips.( they also did a 454 alaskan for me that would shoot 454s or 45 with or without clips and 45acp with smith 25 clips)  clips were a tad faster them a speed loader but had two big advantages. you weren't dropping your speed loaders in the dirt or have to take time to pocket them if you were shooting indoors and you could easily and quickly pick up your brass 6 at a time

I also competed in PPC.  I shot at Multi Lakes, Flint, and several other matches. My revolver was a Davis reworked Model 64. 

Yours was cut for moonclips?  An interesting modification.  When did you compete?  I wonder if we were at the same matches?

Kevin
blue lives matter

Offline StrawHat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2023, 05:51:15 AM »
I still have my Davis but no longer compete, quit 3 decades ago.  If I were still competitive, I would consider that conversion.

Kevin

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 08:52:31 AM »
i quit competitive shooting over 10 years ago too. just quit being fun. sold the clark gun but still have one 25, 610, and a 646. keep thinking on a moon clip 9mm snubby but havent found one sitting in a used gun case
blue lives matter

Offline Bob Riebe

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2023, 02:16:12 PM »
I have a Model 25 that I bought 45 years ago on a whim. (sadly I forget if I traded in a P220 or a .45 1911 for it but I have neither now).

Took it to the Linebaugh shoot in 2002 and shot some hot handloads in it.
Linebaugh and Brian Pearce both said that, that was not a good idea in the long run; it would wear out the gun at a greatly increased pace.

I shot it this summer for the first time in 10 years with hunting auto-rim loads I bought from a company that make said same loads for the .45 Auto-Rim round, also a long time ago.
I have a WW I Colt revolver , highly modified for target use (not by me) that was formerly British Military,with both cylinders for .455 British rounds and .45 ACP.

It is interesting to set the two side by side and compare.