Author Topic: Basck from Vacation!  (Read 644 times)

Offline Varmitcaller

• Trade Count: (0)
Basck from Vacation!
« on: March 25, 2004, 05:23:55 PM »
Had a wonderful trip to Texas, New Mexcio and Arizona. What a joy to be able to haul a little iron along and do some songdog calling and also have the opportunity to plant a few prairie dogs.

Results of the calling was 27 songdogs called with 19 collected. Most were shot with 22-250 but three were shot at long range with my Ultra 25-06. It took a bit when it was new to get it shoot the way I wanted it, but the O-ring trick works great as long as you do not over torque it. One other thing I found was a very rough end of the barrel on the crown. I took my drimmel tool and with a tapered stone, removed the burrs and that really tightened the groups too.

I got to shoot a 17 HMR at prairie dogs and under 80 yards, that little round really zips along. Used 223 and 22-250 mostly. The Ultra 25-06 saw some long range action too. After nearly 1200 rounds, the shoulder got a little sore.

Now it is time I start looking for that perfect job that will carry me three more years, until I want to retire. Sure glad to be back on line so I can check in and see what is happening.

Keep the Faith!

Offline Deadeye47

Basck from Vacation!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 06:38:09 PM »
27!  :shock:  and I used to get excited when we'd get 1 or 2 to come in...haven't done it in along time though.......i just got one of the 17's awhile back but haven't put in much time with it yet....it is a stinger though!
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Basck from Vacation!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 10:53:14 PM »
Welcome back VC!  Sounds like you had a heck of a time out there.  Good luck on your job search, what that other company did to ya just wasn't right.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Basck from Vacation!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2004, 02:41:47 AM »
Welcome back Varmitcaller, and by the way you do deserve that name!!!  Great calling, it must have been with those outstanding results!!! Glad to see you here again. By the way what was the outcome of the .17 HMR on the -80 yard prarie dogs??? Do you think it might work with a well placed shot at a -80 yard coyote?....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
Basck from Vacation!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2004, 04:41:36 AM »
Hey VC, glad to see you made it back.  Sounds like you had some good luck.  

Maybe next time you get out here, you can stop through and do some shooting with me if you're in the area.

MSP, I don't really have much of an opinion on the .17HMR on coyotes as I haven't shot one much.  Mostly at prairie dogs and jack rabbits.  If you go to the Predator Masters web site and ask that question you'll have a heck of a time fielding all of the answers.  [/url]
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters