Author Topic: Who makes the thinnest brass?  (Read 172 times)

Offline Dixie-Dude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Who makes the thinnest brass?
« on: November 27, 2023, 04:51:42 AM »
I have an assortment of 223/556 brass.  I know the military brass is thicker.  I want to use the thinnest brass to make 300 blackout shells.  I've tried with military brass and can't get enough powder in one.  I was thinking I could get a couple more grains in a commercial shell.  Federal, Remington, Winchester.  Just wondering if anyone knows which commercial brass to use for 300 blackout loads.  I can load the military 223/556 brass on the low end to medium powder for plinking loads, even hunting loads for 223 for safety. 

Thanks
Opelika Portal

Offline Dixie-Dude

• A Real Regular
Re: Who makes the thinnest brass?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2023, 12:41:22 PM »
Back to the top.  Hopefully some of you reloaders can answer soon. 
Opelika Portal

Offline Moleman

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 01:07:28 PM »
Federal 223 is the only case I hate using for wildcat ammo as I had a batch from a police range that were much thicker than military cases.  Don't know if they were some special cartridge or something, just that they were too thick to use for their intended wildcat and figured they were likely to be problematic in 223 reloads.  I've passed on them ever since.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 05:29:24 PM »
In truth military brass isn't always thicker, tho it usually is.

For thinnest it would in my opinion be a toss up between Remington and Winchester. You might google: Weight of competing .223 Remington cases and see what pops up.

BTW here is the link to what pops up:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Weight+of+competing+.223+Remington+cases&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS1072US1072&oq=Weight+of+competing+.223+Remington+cases+&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigATIHCAIQIRigAdIBCTE4OTBqMGoxNagCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 10:09:12 PM »
when making bo i will use any commercial brass. military goes in the 556 guns. if i had to pick a favorite it would be rem but horn win and fed all work fine. heck even military will work. ive ran top end book loads in the bo with all of it and never once had a piece of any of it show pressure problems and ive flung MANY thousands of rounds down range using jacketed and cast. ive even used wc820 which is aa9 and a powder faster burning then youll see recommended and have got 130 cast to 2150 with no pressure signs and probably could have got another 100 fps out of it.
blue lives matter