Author Topic: Hey...this is "for the birds"..  (Read 356 times)

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Hey...this is "for the birds"..
« on: December 25, 2023, 03:48:51 AM »
   Orinthologists have a new task set out for them..

Many birds are named after thei person who  discovers and classified their existence.  Such birds as the Audubon Oriole and the Cooper's hawk
    must be renamed...

So, why must they be renamed?   Well, it has been discovered that somne of those early naturalists, are suspected of harboring "racist" thoughts !

So naturally, the birds cannot bear to be known by such names..  REAL IMPORTANT STUFF, TO BE SURE...

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/environment/2023/11/06/birds-named-after-slaveowners-racism-will-soon-get-new-name/71427391007/

I am not sure if any early naturalist is named WOODY, so I cannot ascertain whether WOODY WOODPECKER will have to change his name.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline moamonkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • 478-737-7622
Re: Hey...this is "for the birds"..
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2023, 04:59:25 AM »
Absolute idiots to be sure. I’ve read they’re also wanting to rename some constellations. How petty does one have to be? Or, are they just that sorry at what they do that they feel this is the only impact on their profession they can offer.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2023, 05:13:42 AM »
Just because they wanna call'em sumthin different doesn't mean anyone else has to. This is getting more stupid by the day.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett
Agree Agree x 1 View List

Offline magooch

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2023, 02:31:40 PM »
Yeh, like some of the darker complected folks don't have and never have had pet names for the lighter complected folks and such.  I think there are many more pressing issues.  We all do better if we just pay more attention to character and less to color.   

History can't be changed anyway and trying to hide it will do far more bad than good.
Swingem

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2023, 03:12:35 PM »
   ".  We all do better if we just pay more attention to character and less to color. "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   DITTO ^^^THAT^^^..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)