Author Topic: Hi-cap magazine ban?  (Read 570 times)

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

• Trade Count: (0)
Hi-cap magazine ban?
« on: April 21, 2004, 06:07:46 AM »
I haven't been following things real closely on the hi-cap magazine ban that is supposed to sunset this September.

I remember reading something about this getting tied in with the gun manufacturers protection bill and thus the ban would be lapsed.

Later I read something about the Senate passing it and Bush signing it.

What's the truth here - are we in for more liberty or more restrictions?
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
Hi-cap magazine ban?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 07:15:25 AM »
The Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act was amended with a renewal of the AWB.  When that was done and they voted to pass the package, it failed to pass the Senate at all.

Even if it had passed the Senate as amended, it would have had to pass the house with the exact same language and amendments.  It has not, thus it has not reached Bush's desk.

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

Hi-cap magazine ban?
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 07:41:53 AM »
It's a pitty we have to "hope" it doesn't make it as far as Bush's desk as he seems willing to sign the extension.
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Hi Cap Ban
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 07:51:37 AM »
Black Jaque:  I'm going to send him a letter letting him know why I feel the ban should sunset.  Geez, we sorta depend on everybody else, the NRA, the GOA, our 'supposed' representatives and senators but I've always felt that we're the best ones to speak for ourselves.  Mikey.

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Hi-cap magazine ban?
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 08:06:49 PM »
I have a pet theory about Bush and his promise to sign an extension to the AWB if it comes across his desk.  I believe that Bush made that promise only after making darn sure that congressional supporters of the 2nd Amendment would never let that bill make it to his desk.  It's a win-win for Bush, because he appeases the gun-grabbing swing voters by saying he'll support the legislation.  At the same time, he doesn't really tick off the gun owners, because he knows that he'll never really have to pick up a pen and sign the thing.  The man is a politician, and compromise and appeasement have to be practiced, at least occasionally.  Be sure to write to your representatives and senators, and let them know that we never want Bush to have to pick up a pen and sign the renewal.
NRA life member

Offline jgalar

Hi-cap magazine ban?
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 05:20:16 AM »
I just hope the magazine manufacturers are gearing up for the increased sales of "normal" capacity mags.

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
Hi-cap magazine ban?
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 07:26:03 AM »
leverfan, thats my EXACT thinking also.  Bush aint dumb, no matter how many -isms the other side poke fun at him for.  He played both sides to attain his goal.  I dont know if it is a good thing or not, but its better than what Kerry has to offer.
Brian M.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association