Author Topic: Looking for a change of address ?  (Read 101 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Looking for a change of address ?
« on: February 11, 2024, 04:18:26 PM »
  Here's a suggestion.. a small town in the Dorsetshire, UK..

..But don't take the title too seriously, since the town and it's name are 1,000 years old  ..But as we see the little town today, it looks quite quaint
   and pleasant....after you get past the title..  ;)  ;D

https://www.google.com/search?q=shitterton+uk&sca_esv=9d7aa5c92a2d9443&hl=en&tbm=isch&sxsrf=ACQVn08AN6SLULBf7Rzof-B2H5ZQhP39OA%3A1707692971538&source=hp

The name means, ... "farmstead on the stream used as an open sewer".
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: Looking for a change of address ?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 04:29:14 PM »
  Point to make; most towns and streets in the UK are very old.  Here, any house or town more trhan 350 years of age, is very old.  In the UK and the continent, towns, streets, locations names are often more than a thousand years old.

Here are more quaint names in the UK !

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2188441/Shitterton-comes-list-Britains-worst-place-names-including-Pratts-Bottom-Crapstone-Slag-Lane--live-insist-lovely-place-live.html

Back then, they were normally inclined to "call things as they see them".   If the King James version of the Bible had not been revised several times
  until as late as 1885, we may be faced with similar terms to deal with.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline gene_225

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Looking for a change of address ?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 05:18:51 PM »
Surely you jest. The KJV has been changed? I thought it was just as St. James wrote it.